Question RF convertible for small backseat

U

Unregistered

I've been reading so much information and my brain seems too overloaded to sort it out and make decisions! I drive a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, and my DD is almost 1 yr, approx 20 lbs, 29 in. I want to keep her RF as long as possible, and am a little confused about how much recline she really needs at this age, but by general standards, there's very little room to properly install a huge convertible RF in our car.

We purchased an Alpha Omega Elite awhile back (which may not be the preference of many techs -- we should have done more research beforehand) but just tried to install it this weekend since DD's at the max in her infant seat. The convertible doesn't fit RF AT ALL if following installation instructions with the indicator line being level to the ground. The seat is up against the backs of the front seats and no where near reclined to the point that the instructions say. Is it ok to leave it more upright?

We pretty much decided this seat won't work for us, so we're planning on returning it and buying something more compact. But I'm concerned about DD outgrowing the compact ones quickly, as she seems to be long-torsoed, and I understand her height in the shell is the most important thing before she ever outgrows weight limits. HELP, please! I'm open to suggestions on the best seats for smaller spaces, without spending several hundred dollars. :)

ADS

Evolily

You can disregard the indicator line at her age- it is perfectly safe to install most car seats up to a 30 or 35 degree angle (depending on model- I believe Safety 1st allows a 30 degree angle). The 45 degree angle is in order to maintain the airway on an infant without head control. You also should not install a seat at greater than a 45 degree angle. You should be able to keep the seat you have, just install it more upright :thumbsup: and it shouldn't take up any more room than an infant seat. In fact, installing it more upright will decrease downward rotation in an accident, and help spread crash forces across the child's torso.

You can see a similar seat (The Safety 1st Complete Air) installed more upright in this blog post http://carseatblog.com/?p=3332 .

Good luck!

skaterbabs

She can be quite upright at this age. In addition, having your front seats upright instead of reclined will give the front passengers more leg room while allowing more room for installing her RF seat. The AO isn't the best buy for the money. If you can return it, you may want to do so. An inexpensive seat that works well in tight spaces is the Cosco Scenera. It's about $45 or so at Wal-Mart. It's a very bare bones seat, but it's easy to install and has a 35 lb RF weight limit. When it's outgrown RF you'll want to decide if you want to continue RF or move FF permanently.

cryswilkins

Making it more upright will for sure help it fit better. Also I am not sure what posistion in the vehicle you are trying to install it in, but sometimes if you put it in the center it will fit nicely between the vehicles front seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC