q about infant car seats and shoulders

aisraeltax

someone said the following, and i have never heard of this before. is there any truth to it?

here is the stmt:
\
" The infant bucket carrier is only for
babies who can not lift their heads....the weight is only part of the
safety feature..our problem was height. If the child's shoulders are
above the top holes in the back of the seat, where the belts come
out, they are too big for the seat, regardless of weight.

I come by this information from a police friend of mine who has the
unfortunate job of investigating child deaths in car accidents. "

ADS

InternationalMama

The person seems confused. If the child's shoulders are above the top harness slots when riding forward facing then they are too big for the seat. It seems like they think this is also true rear facing, which it isn't. However, they are correct that height does matter just as weight does since you have to think about how much hard shell is left. Of course you know that. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No truth to it whatsoever. Sounds like someone has some information confused.

The harness MUST come from below (or just at) the shoulders in an infant seat.

It's only forward-facing that a seat is outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slots. Forward-facing, the harness must be at or ABOVE the shoulders.

As for a kid not being able to lift his/her head: For an infant without good head control, the seat must be reclined to a 45-degree angle. After that, the seat CAN be more upright, but doesn't have to be.

A child can remain in an infant seat--regardless of age or developmental level--until he/she reaches the weight limit, the height limit, or (usually) has less than an inch of shell over his/her head.

InternationalMama

If you think about it if this person was correct it would mean that the top harness slot would be totally useless, just there for decoration since by the time you reach it the seat is outgrown.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you think about it if this person was correct it would mean that the top harness slot would be totally useless, just there for decoration since by the time you reach it the seat is outgrown.

Right--which is why I'm assuming that this person thinks that the harness must be at or above for rear-facing, too. Hopefully this officer just does accident investigation and doesn't give car seat advice. (Well, actually, I guess he DOES give car seat advice, otherwise we wouldn't have the statement from the OP.)

aisraeltax

No truth to it whatsoever. Sounds like someone has some information confused.

It's only forward-facing that a seat is outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slots. Forward-facing, the harness must be at or ABOVE the shoulders.

As for a kid not being able to lift his/her head: For an infant without good head control, the seat must be reclined to a 45-degree angle. After that, the seat CAN be more upright, but doesn't have to be.

A child can remain in an infant seat--regardless of age or developmental level--until he/she reaches the weight limit, the height limit, or (usually) has less than an inch of shell over his/her head.

do you mind if i quote you?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only reason I could think of that they might be correct is if they are not in North America-- some European infant seats, especially older ones, have the rule that the slots must be above the shoulders.

InternationalMama

The only reason I could think of that they might be correct is if they are not in North America-- some European infant seats, especially older ones, have the rule that the slots must be above the shoulders.

Oh, this is true! My friend in NZ has a car seat where the slots have to be above the shoulders even for rear facing. I really don't understand that from the perspective of crash dynamics.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

There have been infant seats in the US that are "at or above". The Fisher Price Safe Embrace Infant was one of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC