Thoughts about blow molds seats vs. not?

jujumum

Thoughts about blow-moldes seats v.s. not?

I'm chronically thinking about dd's next carseat, and lately have been thinking heavily about a Radian, Nautilus, Safeguard, Frontier or Regent. I love the steel in the Safeguard, RN & GN for super strength with forward/rear imact crashes. The GN doesn't seem to have heavy duty sides, though; the RN has the steel bar on the side, but I'm not sure what that does. The FN & Regent don't seem to have any steel reinforcement at all, but both are blow molded plastic.

What do you all think about the FN & Regent shells vs. the others? Like it? Don't like it? Has Britax released information about this design and why they use it? Is it supposed to crumple & release energy or something? Their site says that the base is supposed to on the FN. Do you think either design makes a difference with side impacts?

Any thoughts, facts, and/or speculation?

:)

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Are some of the old Century seats blow-mold? Like the Breverra? They sure seem to be - I've got one sitting in my back yard waiting to be destroyed.

Anyway, if it is the same, I will say that the mallet sure bounces off that Century carseat a lot more than the ones that are just regular plastic. I went at the pile a few weeks ago and decided to wait on that one after the first hit. You should have seen the 1986 booster crumble though!

I can take pics of the destruction process and compare with regular plastic, if someone can confirm it's the same kind of plastic.

jujumum

Are some of the old Century seats blow-mold? Like the Breverra? They sure seem to be - I've got one sitting in my back yard waiting to be destroyed.

Anyway, if it is the same, I will say that the mallet sure bounces off that Century carseat a lot more than the ones that are just regular plastic. I went at the pile a few weeks ago and decided to wait on that one after the first hit. You should have seen the 1986 booster crumble though!

I can take pics of the destruction process and compare with regular plastic, if someone can confirm it's the same kind of plastic.

Oh, I find the idea of carseat destruction oddly facinating! You can see first had which seats put up the best fight.;)

Defrost

They don't fight much, when you shoot them.

Yeah, the hardest are the ones you've known for six years or so. They look up at you with those big, sad eyes as you strip off their covers for the last time, stifle gasps as you cut their harnesses... "You know it's for the best!" you tell them, and they nod sadly, but you still end up just covering them in a lot of trash and hoping that's enough, because you just can't bring yourself to do it...
;)

Defrost

Okay, smash test complete. I was unable to get all the "before" pictures I wanted because the guys were really gung-ho. Something about handing them mallets and pickaxes and telling them to destroy things seemed to drive them into a frenzy, go figure. :scratcheshead:

So, we have this beauty, which like I said is a Century Breverra Contour that's somewhere around the age of my oldest (15-ish years). I am almost positive it's the same plastic as the Husky/Regents etc. Here it is before smashing:

IMG_3543.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg

Result: It definitely absorbs energy. It's easy to dent, bend, and deform but somewhat harder to break except at the seams. After about fifteen minutes of pounding with a mallet by four different people, the only damage is the multitude of dents and cracks along the seam. My dh was finally able to get one dent to crack, but he had to hammer on that same spot dozens of times.

IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3553.jpg

For comparison, we have a Graco Snugride (history unknown), and an Evenflo Tribute, DOM '05 but in a high-speed wreck (this carseat saved a little boy's life!) Sorry, like I said I wasn't able to get "before" shots of these two.

Result: These were harder to break, and they never really did anything except break. After one hit it would look like this - the white stress marks along the front lip there:
IMG_3540.jpg

After three/four it would crack, and after five/six/seven it would break. Very difficult/impossible to make it dent, bend, or deform. This was the end result of about five minutes of smashing by two kids:

IMG_3550.jpg
IMG_3551.jpg
IMG_3552.jpg

Jonah Baby

So what was the final conclusion?
The crap-plastic seats like a Scenera absorb just as well as a Britax?

I'd like to see you attack my expired pile, Defrost.
It includes a Roundabout.

Defrost

The only comparison was between a blow-molded shell and regular-style shell. It doesn't really have anything to do with brands.

Mine includes a Marathon. I haven't been able to bring myself to toss it to the pack yet. :eek:

jujumum

Thanks! This renewed my interest in this type of construction. The Frontier is blow-molded, right? I didn't like the back of it - where the harness is attached - compared to the metal design of the GN/FN back. But, perhaps the back is stronger than it looks.

Have you ever destroyed a Regent/Husky? Is there anything inside other than plastic and air? Mine weighs about 10 gazillion pounds.

Defrost

Thanks! This renewed my interest in this type of construction. The Frontier is blow-molded, right? I didn't like the back of it - where the harness is attached - compared to the metal design of the GN/FN back. But, perhaps the back is stronger than it looks.

Have you ever destroyed a Regent/Husky? Is there anything inside other than plastic and air? Mine weighs about 10 gazillion pounds.

I'm honestly not sure if the Frontier is blow-molded. I do know the thicker areas on the Husky and the Century, like around the harness holes, are pretty dang thick. I'm not sure how they'd compare to metal, of course.

And no, I've never destroyed a Regent or Husky, sorry. ;)

christineka

I've tried destroying car seats. The century breverra (exp 2 years previous) was very resistant. I remember I eventually got some crack around the harness slots.

The cosco hbb (exp 2 years previous) was easy when smashed at the harness slots. My graco cargo (had just expired) just bounced and bounced. I gave up on it and just threw it out whole.

I think my recaro vivo has that blow molded plastic. It seems nice and sturdy to me.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, the hardest are the ones you've known for six years or so. They look up at you with those big, sad eyes as you strip off their covers for the last time, stifle gasps as you cut their harnesses... "You know it's for the best!" you tell them, and they nod sadly, but you still end up just covering them in a lot of trash and hoping that's enough, because you just can't bring yourself to do it...
;)

Oh, I get that. I still have my first seat, the renolux.

Mine has a super elite. I bet you my destroy pile is bigger than yours. Yeah, I have a trailer full.

rodentranger

DH just takes the Sawzall to my destroy pile. :D
The first side of the road seat I brought home was an unexpired Dorel infant seat that *would not die*! He tried smashing it with his backhoe and just got it stuck on the bucket. Then proceeded to dig holes with it.
The way past expired "cheap" seats didn't fare any different than the just barely expired Britax when he got out the Sawzall though.:whistle:
(He did tell me I'm not allowed to bring home any more homesless seats.)

Kat_Momof3

I think my recaro vivo has that blow molded plastic. It seems nice and sturdy to me.

I agree... and it's so lightweight for feeling so sturdy, too... to me it's the sturdiest "skinny" or "small" booster I've found... a title previously reserved for the old parkway

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC