seat shopping taking suggestions.

Cryssy Jane

Getting two new kiddos full time (makes 5 altogether) Pops has agreed to let me use the mini van (2006 mazda mpv) when needed as long as he has at least 24-48 hours notice of event.

So here's what I've got:
2 rn xts
1 tf
1 cco

Stats in siggy are correct for current kiddos, J will be leaving shortly and currently is only in attendance on fridays.

I need 1 more seat!

New kids in question are 6 year old girl, not sure on weight or height at the moment, however has autism and low muscle tone. Mom says she's about the size of an average 4 year old and roughly there developmentally. Currently rides in a GN with mom, 3rd harness slots I believe was said.

Baby sister, 7 months, rides in a snugride with mom, she says 2nd harness slots.

I'm not a huge fan of buckets, however with 3 kiddos around 5-7 months of age it may be a suggestion. Currently on outings, O and K ride in the bob, S in the ergo and J walks. There are two adults on any outings, so another carrier could be use for a baby.

Any suggestions? While I completely want a RNSL I think that's out of my budget right now. Preferably trying to say at $150 or below if at all possible, however pending I could get the funds an RNSL would be stellar too.

ETA: this would require a 3 across in the 3rd row seating...

Last edited:
ADS

oxeye

Sounds like the 6 year old should fit fine in a Radian. I'd try the two Radians and the Coccoro in the third row. TF in the second row and then whatever else you feel like buying in the second row as well. :) (Assuming captains chairs so you don't need to worry about puzzling - I'm not familiar with that van).

I'd skip the bucket if you don't like them. So $150 budget? I'd do a My Ride just because I haven't gotten to play with one yet and I want to!

Cryssy Jane

Sounds like the 6 year old should fit fine in a Radian. I'd try the two Radians and the Coccoro in the third row. TF in the second row and then whatever else you feel like buying in the second row as well. :) (Assuming captains chairs so you don't need to worry about puzzling - I'm not familiar with that van).

I'd skip the bucket if you don't like them. So $150 budget? I'd do a My Ride just because I haven't gotten to play with one yet and I want to!

I just traded my MR for the TF. I did not like it and it didn't fit well in the van where i needed it.

I'll play tomorrow and see if I can get the rns in the 3rd row. I would like to keep the babies of course rf, and odin has only ridden rf and at 20 months I'll like to keep him rf if at all possible.

The van set up is 3rd row, lap/should outboard, lap only center, no latch no TA. 2nd row captains chairs, latch and TAs.

oxeye

Do you have tether anchors in the third row? If yes - then I'd try a RF Radian outboard, FF Radian center (for the 6 year old), Coccoro RF outboard. It'll just be an issue of whether or not the FF Radian is compatible there. Worth a shot! Is there a tether anchor third row center? If not, I'd put the FF seat where there is one and put the two RF seats side by side.

Then you can put two RF seats in the second row. What about an EFTA?

If there are no tether anchors at all in the third row, then I'd put the 6 y/o in the second row FF and try to get three RF seats in the third row (RN, CCO, RN is probably your best bet). If she has to go in the second row then I might get a dedicated FF seat. The GN is a little above your price range but maybe there are deals out there? I haven't looked.

Cryssy Jane

If there are no tether anchors at all in the third row, then I'd put the 6 y/o in the second row FF and try to get three RF seats in the third row (RN, CCO, RN is probably your best bet). If she has to go in the second row then I might get a dedicated FF seat. The GN is a little above your price range but maybe there are deals out there? I haven't looked.

No TAs in the 3rd row at all. I tried putting the rn rf back there and I can get it in outboard drivers side at a decent angle, but not passenger side. It's way to over-reclined.

I had a gn once... sold it to get a rn... who would have known i'd need it back.

romanoma

what about that beautiful recaro signo G2 on swap, I think 175? A little out of price range, but it might be great for the small low tone 6yo. If she is too big, it might fit the very little ones for a long time.

In your shoes, with different kids all the time, convertibles seem like the best choice. The GN has limited use only for much older kids. It is a great seat though!!

So you can RF one radian, FF the other, and use the cco in the back? does that work?

Cryssy Jane

what about that beautiful recaro signo G2 on swap, I think 175? A little out of price range, but it might be great for the small low tone 6yo. If she is too big, it might fit the very little ones for a long time.

In your shoes, with different kids all the time, convertibles seem like the best choice. The GN has limited use only for much older kids. It is a great seat though!!

So you can RF one radian, FF the other, and use the cco in the back? does that work?

I haven't ever played with a signo or any recaro seats for that matter, I don't think anywhere around here carries them to play with to see if it would work.

I think I can do rf rn, ff rn, rf cco. However... there's no TAs in the third row so I'd be worried about head excursion without having it tethered.

romanoma

I think the way the recaro sits up high and installs, and the harness height adjuster is very similar to my blvd. The main difference is the head wings are more narrow and much softer, the cover is divine, and the sides where the legs are are higher (hence the complaint of heaving big kids into it RF). It still works great for my 18mo, and the harness tightener is the easiest one I've ever seen. The more I use my blvd, the more I like my signo :eek:

jujumum

Our 2003 MPV has a 3rd row TA in the center (just a little off center, but for the center seat). It is located not at the base of the seat back, like the 2nd row, but on the back wall of the van, just under the back hatch. It is weird that they had them in 2003 but not 2006.:confused:

Cryssy Jane

Our 2003 MPV has a 3rd row TA in the center (just a little off center, but for the center seat). It is located not at the base of the seat back, like the 2nd row, but on the back wall of the van, just under the back hatch. It is weird that they had them in 2003 but not 2006.:confused:

Hmm I'll check tomorrow. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place, however I didn't see anything in the manual about third row TA.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hmm I'll check tomorrow. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place, however I didn't see anything in the manual about third row TA.

My 2006 MPV has a 3rd row TA. Just one. And it's on the back wall as described in a previous post. It's a little hidden! :)

And I cannot imagine getting 3 seats back there. I put one MA there a few months ago and it seemed to take up the whole row! LOL So pick narrow seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC