• Backless with no head support

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • HBB that requires head support with none

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Seatbelt that rides a little too high on stomach

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

cmm7

One of the parents of a boy I sit for just e-mailed me since they had a car seat question. They said he is going to start riding to a friends' house once a week in a car that does not have headrests. He is eight years old and in a backless booster in his dad's car and a Cosco Pronto (which is a HBB but requires head support) in his mom's car. He is right about 4'9" but does not pass the 5-step test in his friend's car. His mom said he is so close to it, but the lap belt is a tad high. Shoulder belt is fine.

They are pretty good about CPS, but are definitely the "It is only a five mile ride," type. That is the situation here. Regardless of what I say he will be riding these five miles once a week in one of these situations. They will not buy a new seat. So, we have these options:

Backless booster with no headrest
HBB that requires headrest with no headrest
No booster, head support, but lap belt a tad high

What do you think is the best out of these? I know none are ideal and you personally would never do it, but I am 250 miles away and helping them with what they have.

On an unrelated note I tried C in the GN as a booster yesterday to see how he would do. By the time I buckled it and closed his door he had put the shoulder belt under his arm. I now worry even more about him riding in a backless in his mom's car. :(

ADS

amyd

How does he get head support without a booster if the seat has no head restraints? Is he going to be short enough to have support just from the back seat if he's not in a booster?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
HBB that requires head support without it -- that may end up being the same as a backless w/o head support, or it may surprise us and hold up during a relatively minor crash. I personally think the risks of a poorly-fitting lap belt are higher than the risks of inadequate head support at that age.

cmm7

Yes, I am assuming so since she told me it was, "The same problem your car has." Only in my car I had a TB he still barely fit in. But that is in VT with me and about to expire so no help to them.

Pixels

A high back (even if it requires head support) is going to provide at least some head support, whereas a backless obviously provides none. Some, even if it's a teeny bit, is better than none.

a_js

HBB that requires head support without it -- that may end up being the same as a backless w/o head support, or it may surprise us and hold up during a relatively minor crash. I personally think the risks of a poorly-fitting lap belt are higher than the risks of inadequate head support at that age.

That :thumbsup:

cmm7

Great, thanks everyone. I will pass that on to them. I was picturing some horrible scenario where the headrest snapped and impaled his spinal cord or something... good to hear you don't think that would happen!

Maedze- the Pronto goes REALLY tall. I can fit in it. I would say it is 21-22" to the belt guides. If only it didn't require the stupid head support it would be such a cheap, tall HBB.

Kat_Momof3

I voted backless because I hadn't read the whole thing... I thought since they were basically the same and I didn't want to find out what would happen with the booster in terms of breakage or whatever if they crashed, I'd vote backless, as the kid is 8yrs old

Now I see what he did when put in a highback booster, I changed my mind... clearly he needs the physical reminder of the back of the booster and the belt guide to help him keep the belt in place.

I would use the hbb with no support...

cmm7

I voted backless because I hadn't read the whole thing... I thought since they were basically the same and I didn't want to find out what would happen with the booster in terms of breakage or whatever if they crashed, I'd vote backless, as the kid is 8yrs old

Now I see what he did when put in a highback booster, I changed my mind... clearly he needs the physical reminder of the back of the booster and the belt guide to help him keep the belt in place.

I would use the hbb with no support...

I think you are referring here to the end of my post where I sort of changed topics to a quick vent about C, an almost 5 yr old boy. The 8 year old sits fine in a booster. Sorry for the confusion!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC