"Baby" stil RFing and I'm making a convert!

The Bjorns

My DD2 just hit 30 lbs on the doctor's scale! She gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. We had gone in when she was sick and at the recheck 2 weeks later, she was tipping the scale at 30 lbs! Egads! At this rate she'll never make it to 2 1/2 let alone 3. She just better be about to have a mega growth spurt or we're in trouble.

Have any of you come close to outgrowing the seat by weight limit and then just plateaued for a loooooong time? I just don't want to turn her any time soon. She's almost 27 mo and I really thought it turning her wouldn't be an issue for at least 6 more months. How wrong would it if I put her on a bread and water diet...:rolleyes:

However, we were with my friend last night and when we were leaving DD2 climbed into her seat all by herself and impressed the heck out of my BF. She's stopped questioning my car seat obsession, but she still thinks I'm nuts. Now that she saw how happy DD2 is riding RFing and how easy it is to hop it, she's changing her mind. She even explained to her 9 yr old why DD2 was facing backwards--it's safer! And that if we could figure out to drive RFing, it would be the safest way to ride. Too bad her kids are too old for her to be a true convert to EFRing, but it's a start. Her 9 yr old is still in a booster in their sedan, but not the minivan. She just fits better in the other seat.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids have gotten really close to 40, then they'll shoot up and lose a little weight, and take months to gain it back... It happens a lot! The 30-35 time usually takes waaaaaay longer than you think it will.

Of course if you're really worried, you could sell your MA and get a MyRide instead. :)

The Bjorns

I sure hope you're right! My little one just looks so tiny--still a baby in size.

I've contemplated car seat rodeo--my mom has an EFTA that goes to 35, but it would require switching every day. Still...;)

mommy2jasmine

I am in the same boat as you. When my daughter was about 26 months or so, she hopped up from 27-28 to 29.5 and that's morning AND night. It hasn't said 30 yet, though, but she's close enough. I hope that the next 5 to 10 lbs go slowly. I don't want to turn her before 4, and I REALLY want her to make it to 5, but I don't know if that will happen.

Spam

Austy is 16 months, he weighed 30lbs at his 15 month checkup and today I had to take him to the clinic and he weighed 31.5lbs :eek: He gained 3lbs from 12-15 months, and if he keeps going it'll be another 1.5lbs before his 18 month apt.

AtTheSouthDam

DD2 only gained 3 lbs from her 2nd birth day to her third. She gained really quickly after her third but lost some of it. She is back down to 31.5#. So she might come back down again.
If she doesn't then you have done your best. DD1 hit 30# at 24 months, 35# well before her 3rd birthday and was 39.5# right after. She moved to a booster temporarily then because we simply couldn't afford a HWH seat right away (only options I was aware of were the Regent, which was sold everywhere do to KDM, and the Marathon.) so be thankful that now you have more affordable options for larger babies now :D

xursusmaritimusx

my DD gained exactly 5lbs and grew only 2" from age 2 to 3...
im hoping she grows taller now and doesnt gain anymore weight so we can even her out LOL

i debated with myself for a while about getting a myride for the extra 5lbs to RF but im happy we made it to 3. if she was still in the 2's i probably would have gotten the myride.

Jonah Baby

I know many kids who "plateau" their growth.

Jo, however, is edging towards 37#, depending on the scale. We got 36.8 at the PEDI when he was sick this week.
I'm very happy with my decision to buy a MyRide. My parents should be ordering a RNXTSL for us...soon, to replace our last accident seat.

He does have a history of gaining up to 3 pounds in a month, then shooting up several inches and dropping right back to his previous weight.

You can't necessarily go wrong by getting a higher weight seat, but she may just make it without. You'll have to weigh the benefits - if you buy a higher weight seat then she can possibly exceed your RFing goal, but if you don't, you still have a good chance of making it TO your goal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC