Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Minor accident - have to replace car seats

Entirely my fault. Very minor accident, but I still have to discard the carseats. I already have a couple of Radian XT SLs that I was planning on swapping my EFTAs out with so I could fit three across so that isn't a problem. I am just very annoyed that I now need to destroy these. I was planning on doing something with them (sister, mom, husband... they all need car seats for their cars). Insurance company will replace them as part of my claim, but it's looking l am not going to need to make a claim to fix my car and the cost of the seats is less than my $500 deductible.

I am very grateful, however, that despite my having been distracted, that my babies are fine and no one else was injured.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Minor accident - have to replace car seats

Sorry about your loss of seats But glad everyone is ok
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Keep the covers! You can sell them & recoup some of the money. Glad you're all okay
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Carseat Crazy

amyd - that's a thought! My nephew uses EFTA for his daughter... I was thinking of letting him have the covers as spares. Never thought of selling them.

Glad everyone is ok. Sucks about the carseats for sure.

I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband hit a deer with their carseats in the back of the car. The kids were not in it, luckily, but her insurance said that they (as in some safety commity, not her insurance) changed the "rule" about replacing seats in an accident. Since the seats didn't have any weight bearing in them, they are safe to reuse. When I was researching 3 years ago I thought this didn't matter as long as it met other criteria. Such as: person was injured, car was totaled, airbags deployed, ect...

In speaking to my friend, none of these criteria were met, but the note she got said they wouldn't replace seats because there were not children riding in them. Anyone know the "requirement" for insurances to have to replace seats?

Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband hit a deer with their carseats in the back of the car. The kids were not in it, luckily, but her insurance said that they (as in some safety commity, not her insurance) changed the "rule" about replacing seats in an accident. Since the seats didn't have any weight bearing in them, they are safe to reuse. When I was researching 3 years ago I thought this didn't matter as long as it met other criteria. Such as: person was injured, car was totaled, airbags deployed, ect...

In speaking to my friend, none of these criteria were met, but the note she got said they wouldn't replace seats because there were not children riding in them. Anyone know the "requirement" for insurances to have to replace seats?

Tx.
    The requirement for replacing seats is according to the manufacturer. Almost every one says to replace after any crash. Britax says it needs to be replaced if any of the following happened: Airbags deployed, someone was injured, the car was not drivable, there was damage to the door closest to the carseat.

However, rules for insurance replacing the seat may vary by state. I've heard in CA that insurance is required to replace the seat, unless they were not occupied. But from reading here, it is not uncommon to have to fight with an insurance company to pay for seat replacement. And then some companies will just cut a check right away.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Senior Community Member Raegansmom4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post

Tx.
    I was in a minor accident a little over a year ago (other driver at fault). Her insurance only paid for the 1 seat that was occupied - a snugride. Luckily, the accident was minor enough to meet Britax's criteria so I could keep my MA (the unoccupied seat). When I asked her insurance about my MA, they said they only replace occupied seats. Boo.
    Amy - former CPST
    Raegan (11/4/05) - Seat belt
    Brinlee (3/16/08) - Backless booster
    Harper (2/12/2016) - Chicco Keyfit 30

I've found it also depends on the insurance company itself and who's company is paying for it, ya know?

Good luck!
    You might have an easier time getting three across with new seat choices!
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!