Votes: 40 36.0%
  • I'd say booster harness about the same

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • clicky box

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
ADS

Qarin

I don't actually have a six year old right now, so I answered for my older DD who just turning 8, for when she was six. She was harnessed- she moved from a Wizard to a Nautilus at 6.5, and is still primarily in the Nautilus now because she prefers it. (DD2 is now in that Wizard, and if she doesn't outgrow it by 6 (1yr from now), it will expire at 6y4m, and I imagine she will move to a booster fulltime no later than that, though maybe she'll finally get the Nautilus).

ChristyH

DS will be 6yrs old in Jan, he's harness in a GN and will be for some time. He still has 2 slots before he hits the top and he's only 42lbs. I do have a Recaro Vivo for him that he rides in sometimes in g-ma's car and on occasional short trips but it proves to me just how not ready he is to be boostered.

My DD "just" turned 7 and is now in a Graco Turbobooster (soon to be Monterey) and she does a wonderful job at sitting correctly in her seat.

zactayaus

My 6 1/2 yo is harnessed full time in both a GN and a Frontier with plenty of grow room in both seats. He will be 7yo in April and he desperately wants to be in a booster so maybe I'll consider that than. Maybe.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My oldest used harnessed seats (Radians and Regents) at age 6 and the Regent until recently when she got too tall for it. It was easier for her buckle herself in the harnessed seats compared to BPBs in our Sienna and DH's car due to the buckle stalks and positioning of them relative to boosters, and harnessing was also better at keeping her properly in position sleeping and awake. :twocents:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd was moved to a booster full-time for her 6th birthday.

I really don't know when I'll move my ds - he will be 5 in February and hasn't been in a booster even once yet. He is normally just fine, and I think he'd do great in a booster, but sometimes he melts down and won't listen to anyone - maybe 4 months ago we were driving somewhere and dd did something to annoy ds and he tried like CRAZY to kick her - had he been in a booster I think he would have succeeded, and been dangerously out of position.

keri1292

Harnessed and never tried a booster. 1st grade or 45lbs is my comfort zone to begin booster training. Dd just moved to a booster full time this summer at nearly 9yo.

NannyMom

J is 6 years 8 months. He is in a GN harnessed in my car, and Mom's car. He's in a booster in dad's car. I'm hoping he makes it to 7 in the harness. J is also immature and can be impulsive. And lately, he's been having alot of behavior problems.

A was in a booster when she was 6. That was also before we became carseat savvy (at the time, J went to a backless booster at 4yrs 40 pounds). A is impulsive, but she's mature and very concerned with safety. I bet at 6 she would have been fine in a booster full time (uh, had we explained how to sit properly).

Yoshi

DD is 6.5 yrs old (too tall for GN and Frontier harness)
She has been in a booster full-time in both cars since before she turned 6 when she outgrew GN. She is in a Britax Monarch and Recaro Monza (Euro) She is 47 lbs.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
DD is 5 now, but the plan at 6 is to move her to the booster full time. Frontier in booster mode(possibly with SG clip) or nauti in booster mode, and turbo. She is now , at just-5, on top slots of nauti, and about 44 lbs, so I expect she'll be 46-50 by her 6th birthday? She's a pretty big girl.

AtTheSouthDam

Bethany is in a booster full time now. The regent is gone. She is even running out of options as far as HBB go! I'll never keep up :(

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I put booster, because he's most of the time in a HBB in my car, and either in a NBB or belt only with mom & dad. C will be six in about six weeks. He rides in a harness occasionally when I get in a bind and have to drive the half mile to school with someone up front -- he's the oldest one who can still fit in a harness -- though he's a few pounds from outgrowing it.

We went back to a harness from a NBB at the beginning of the summer when I got schooled on carseat safety -- at that point he was not ready to be in a booster full time. Now, he both fits and sits beautifully in a booster, both awake and asleep. We have a Graco Airbooster and it fits him like it was made for him.

northernmommy

DD1 was six in Sept and got a Monteray for her birthday. She rides in it pretty much full time, though I'm considering reharnessing her for our next long drive. Her muscle tone seems to be decreasing a bit, and she's slumping out of position more than I'm comfortable with.

DD2 will be harnessed well past 6yrs, I'm thinking, as she's a very different temperment. "Spirited" would be an understatement, and I doubt I'll be able to trust her in a booster in another year and a half.

For an average 6yo with no other issues, I'd feel perfectly comfortable with either booster or HWH. :twocents:

firemomof3

DD1 was 6 in July and she has been in a booster full-time since June. Currently she is using the Young Sport in booster mode :D But I'm getting the booster "itch"....I really like the Oobr :love:

Michael just turned 7 last week(sorry I voted)...he is in a booster and has been since 6 years old.
He is too tall for all the harness seats(possibly even the regent)? He is outgrowing high back boosters left and right.
Luckily we have the parkway and that is his main seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not voting 'cause she's not quite 6, but my 5 1/2 year old is RF most of the time, occasionally FF in a harness, and I don't anticipate even starting to booster train her until her 6th birthday. I do anticipate that some time in the next year she'll start riding in a booster full-time (when she outgrows the RF seat, which will by that point be an XTSL, or when she decides she'd rather be in a booster and demonstrates that she can behave) as a primary seat, assuming it works in our car (haven't tried buckling a booster in with the other 2 yet...) She'd still probably be harnessed (or in an RSTV) in other peoples' cars for quite a while to come, simply by virtue of circumstances (can't get a booster in with 2 other seats in my mom's car; my dad has lap belts only in the back; etc.)

Of note, my state is a 6 or 60 state, and she would be legal (but not safe!) to be in seatbelt only, in the front seat (!) on her next birthday. :eek:

scoutingbear

I don't have a 6 year old (yet) but he will be in Feb. He *might* last harnessed until then. He is on the top slots of his GN without much growing room left...about 1/4" in my car! :eek: Slightly more in dh's car. He rides in a turbo in my mom's car (and has been for, well, let's just say I didn't know better a long time ago), and will be using a RSTV in the babysitters car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC