Who watched the NBC story on CR?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yup, no harness, yikes. I also found it kind of odd that the NHTSA side impact crash test clip showed a Compass infant seat. The Compass seat is not one of the more widely used seats, nor a seat particularly focused on as "bad" in the original CR article, and it's a seat that must be used with the base. Why not show some of the other NHTSA clips too for us curious carseat geeks? :rolleyes:

Simplysomething

I heard on the radio today that CR had retracted the carseat article because their side impact tests were actually faster than initially claimed.

http://news.google.com/news?sourcei...r+reports+car+seat+retraction&oe=UTF-8&tab=wn

Was the NBC story about that?

From the yahoo article :
Today, Nicole Nason, administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said in a statement that NHTSA re-tested the same child seats tested by Consumer Reports and found all were safe at speeds of 38.5 mph. NHTSA said that the Consumer Reports side-impact tests were erroneously conducted under conditions that would represent being struck at 70 mph.

Th

Splash

They outsourced it? They OUTSOURCED it? They want us to believe they are doing everything to keep our babies safe, that our kids are going to die if we don't do exactly as they say, and they OUTSOURCED the tests? Oh. My. God. I'm.... I'm totally speechless. I knew they sucked, but THIS?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
They outsourced it? They OUTSOURCED it? They want us to believe they are doing everything to keep our babies safe, that our kids are going to die if we don't do exactly as they say, and they OUTSOURCED the tests? Oh. My. God. I'm.... I'm totally speechless. I knew they sucked, but THIS?

This is SO disappointing to me!!!

I actually REALLY like Consumer Reports (for everything except children's products) and look forward to receiving it in the mail each month. I am SO disappointed by this report!!!!!!!!!!!!!

granolamama

I heard on the radio today that CR had retracted the carseat article because their side impact tests were actually faster than initially claimed.

The NBC article said that at first too, but then later in the article it said, "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . . . said the crash tests were conducted under conditions that would represent being struck at more than 70 mph — about twice as fast as the magazine contended."
(emphasis mine)

So I'm betting that the tests were actually conducted at 35 and 38 mph as Consumer Reports claims, but they didn't realize that this did not even come close to representing the crash forces on an infant seat within a car crashed at those speeds. Which is really not too bright on their part.

skaterbabs

Well, the news report did not say anything the online articles didn't tell us, but at least it was the lead story.

capeKO71

A gal on babycenter's husband works for the place where they did the testing. I guess they do lots of test for carseat companies... but they are told what to test and they do it. It's a school testing lab. CR said do it at 38mph - but I guess (I don't understand the physics) - whatever they do is like an accident at 70mph. The lady said her husband told her from the get go that CR was crazy. He said it wasn't a real life test. Obviously someone took these results and interpelated them COMPLETELY wrong. so dumb... don't they double and triple check their results? idiots.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A gal on babycenter's husband works for the place where they did the testing. I guess they do lots of test for carseat companies... but they are told what to test and they do it. It's a school testing lab. CR said do it at 38mph - but I guess (I don't understand the physics) - whatever they do is like an accident at 70mph. The lady said her husband told her from the get go that CR was crazy. He said it wasn't a real life test. Obviously someone took these results and interpelated them COMPLETELY wrong. so dumb... don't they double and triple check their results? idiots.

Interesting. Was this the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute aka UMTRI? I haven't been on the Baby Center board in several days (it moves so darn fast over there, lol) and I know of a mom on that board who has posted about her DH working at UMTRI before. UMTRI is a highly regarded testing facility and I've heard they've been used by CR in the past, but hadn't heard anything about any UMTRI involvement in the recent infant seat tests. UMTRI is actually very local to me but I don't have any current contacts who work there for any scoop, pout. At my previous job before becoming a SAHM, I had to contact UMTRI from time to time to get data/info. from their library, but that was years ago. When I was in college, I sold a used Subaru for a friend of mine to a scientist who worked at UMTRI. He test drove the car to the UMTRI facility to put it up on the hoist there, and I was in heaven as a car safety geek to even be inside the building, lol.

ajweeks

It is also concerning watching the video clip when they interview a woman at the end saying that she is still unsure about infant seat safety because 70 mph is what she drives on the freeway. People don't understand crash dynamics and what speeds crashes actually occur at--they just know how fast they drive. I didn't know that a 30 mph crash was actually a very severe one before learning on this board.

lovinwaves

What I noticed on all the news stations was that I NEVER saw any carseat being used correctly!!! Here is a story regarding CPS but none of the carseats in the whole 3 minute story were being used safely.

Dillipop

It is also concerning watching the video clip when they interview a woman at the end saying that she is still unsure about infant seat safety because 70 mph is what she drives on the freeway. People don't understand crash dynamics and what speeds crashes actually occur at--they just know how fast they drive. I didn't know that a 30 mph crash was actually a very severe one before learning on this board.

I agree with you.

On a highway going seventy, a side impact accident is likely to be a side swipe and you will be going approximately the same speed as the other car, so really, not a 70 mph crash...

You are more likely to be in a side impact crash at an intersection, where cars are usually going much slower than highway speeds, if they are following the posted limits.

Robert

CPST Instructor
If a vehicle traveling at 70 mph side impacted you, I doubt anyone would survive that kind of an impact. Your body is just not disigned for a side impact at 70 mph

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC