Peg 30/30

tl01

I know this is a an unpopular seat and I'm hope people can tell me why. I was able to install the base easily in my car with LATCH. I got a good recline angle. I measured the height of the seat and it seems reasonably close to that of the SS1.... Maybe not quite as tall but close. I don't like the puzzle buckle and can obey the rule regarding where the handle must be stowed when driving. Tell me the pitfalls of this seat before I possibly buy it.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, if you have the miracle car that it installs easily with, more power to you. :p LATCH in some cars with it is doable, in some it's impossible or nearly so. In many the seatbelt install is difficult and requires a locking clip (and so many cars have no center LATCH that this is a frequent problem to run into.) In at least one car I've tried it in it was incompatible with seatbelt in every position, and almost incompatible with LATCH. The handle always having to be in that position is something that yes, you can deal with, but many parents will not notice/know about or will forget. And in some cars it makes clearance in the front seat difficult. Also, the headwings sometimes push small babies' heads forward, and there is sometimes space between the crotch buckle and baby that must be filled to prevent sliding.

But if you've got it in tightly, will always use the handle right and know that everyone else (all caretakers, etc.) who use it will as well, and it fits fine in your car, and you don't mind the puzzle buckle, and you have money to burn on a seat that I feel is overpriced (for one thing, no rebound control-- no ARB and no allowance for the handle to be up) then there's no reason to avoid it if you like it, I guess.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I know I am the lone man out but I LOVE Peg's seats and hate all other infant seats I have used because of my love for the Pegs. That being said I have never once had an install issue with any of mine. I had one for both boys one being the first Primo Viaggio which I was not a great seat but the newer (current) version I had for my second son was awesome.

They both used the same base (not sure if it was exact same but it was the same design and all that good stuff) and I have installed that base in TONS of cars between having it for two different kids...never an issue. I love the open belt path which allows you to install it without tipping and it makes it easier (for me) to get super tight with a seatbelt install. I love that it has Britax-like LATCH clips. I love, love, love how sturdy it feels and the overall higher quality of everything about it.

My next baby will also get a Peg seat.:p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Out of curiosity, what cars do you guys have? I usually end up with Pegs in very high-end cars, which are not always easy to put even most super-simple seats in (though of course, the, say, Keyfit would be much less likely to be incompatible.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LATCH installs tend to be better than seatbelt installs. As far as I know, Peg Perego is the only company that actually RECOMMENDS LATCH installs because belts are such a PITA. If you can get a decent seatbelt install (almost always doable, but usually not easy), the thing loosens if you blink at it. Seriously, I've had parents not release the seat all the way when they try to get the bucket out, and they wind up loosening the base mere minutes after we've installed it. I tend to do seatbelt installs since people usually don't have LATCH in the center, and as much as belts are a PITA with that seat, I still try to get it in the middle.

The puzzle buckle is awful, and I feel that the buckle doesn't release easily. I hate the handle rule and don't like the headwings (those particular wings, not wings in general).

There's something else I don't like about it, too, but I forget what.

For what that seat costs, I'd expect a lot more. Instead, it's more difficult to use and install than any other infant seat out there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree that it doesn't release easily. Even moreso when uninstalled (and I have to get it off to install it.) I always end up tugging at it and looking like an idiot in front of the parents.

tl01

I agree that it doesn't release easily. Even moreso when uninstalled (and I have to get it off to install it.) I always end up tugging at it and looking like an idiot in front of the parents.

I had the worst time getting my SS1 to release. I even had two different and two different bases and both had the same problem with both so at least that shouldn't be any worse for me.

tl01

Out of curiosity, what cars do you guys have? I usually end up with Pegs in very high-end cars, which are not always easy to put even most super-simple seats in (though of course, the, say, Keyfit would be much less likely to be incompatible.)

I have the car you saw at the meet up. MB GL450. It's funny b/c out of all the seats I've had, the SS1, Blvd, True Fit, Frontier, Radian, TWE...can't think of any others right now... I've only had a problem with the install in one car.. my mom's Mercedes. I've installed all of those seats in at least 6 Mercedes models. I've used a combination of LATCH and seat belt and I always get great installs. The Frontier had a problem with my mom's car with seat belt b/c the SBP was a little too tricky to get it to buckle and the belt wasn't long enough for the LBP. LATCH was simply but DS is at the LATCH limit. Mercedes aren't super high end cars... but they sure have been great for seats. I only needed a pull noodle when installing the TF otherwise the slope of the seats has been great... especially for the Radian. The Radian took a few tries to get it to install properly the first but it sounds like that it is typical learning curve for most cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC