Question Question from new member

zoecoltsmama

Hello to all you wonderful car seat people!

I have been trolling the halls of carseatblog.org for a wile now and I am so impressed and have learned SO much! I have to admit that I have stayed up way past my bed time on more than one occasion reading up on all the info here. I am sure that this lovely important blog is responsible for my son's much improved safety in the years to come. Please forgive me if you all have answered this question before. I couldn't find the answer on my own yet and I am running out of time.

First the facts...

My son Colton is six months old, he weighs about 18 lbs, and he is tall, around 95th percentile. I do believe he will continue to be on the taller, solid but lean side.

I plan to keep him RF for as long as possible.

He does most, if not all of his riding in a Toyota Corolla station wagon w/out latch, but at times we do transfer to other cars.

He is our first child and we do plan to have more children w/in the next few years.

now the question...
Colton is fastly outgrowing his Britax companion infant seat (we got one rite before the switch over to the chaperon) he is at the tallest shoulder strap setting and the widest crotch buckle setting. His head seems to be about 1.5" below the back of the shell and rite at the top of the sides of the shell.

I need advice on what seat to buy him next.

I am currently thinking about the Sunshine kids Radian XTSL Or just biting the bullet and going the Swedish route and getting a Britax Multi Tech.

I like the Radian because of it's construction, slenderness, and the fact that it is sold in the US. I do wonder about why they don't have the side impact head rest low enough for the smaller babies, seems like they would need it most of all?

I like the Multi Tech because of it's high limits and the fact that the side impact head rest seems to be able to come down to accommodate the smaller babies. However, it does seem big and the price is hard to say out load to grandma when she asks to buy Colt his new seat.

What do you guys think? Have you tried both? Did you choose between the two? Is their some other seat I should look at? besides being from Sweden, are their other drawbacks to the Multi Tech as oppose to the Radian?

I would love to see pics of younger Babies in both if anyone has them!

Thanks so much for your help!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Welcome :)

In my opinion, a Swedish seat is overkill. The Radian will get kids to (and usually well beyond) a great forward-facing age.

Although the Radian doesn't have wings (at least not low enough for the lowest positions), any harnessed seat provides side-impact protection.

If you want something with deeper sides, the TrueFit, MyRide, or Complete Air might be good choices. They will all get kids to a good forward-facing age, though they won't last quite as long as the Radian.

Honestly, though, with the amount of money you'd spend importing a Swedish seat, you could buy one US seat now and a Radian later on if you still want more rear-facing time.

Keep in mind that in most (if not all) states, it is illegal to use Swedish seats. You could be ticketed or fined, and you might not get the seat replaced by insurance if you're in an accident.

scatterbunny

My daughter has also always been a 95th+ percentile kiddo (for height; she ranges from 80th-95th for weight), and even she could have rear-faced in a Radian to almost 3.5yo (when she hit 40 pounds, she was closer to the 95th percentile; she slimmed down after she hit 4).

IMHO, importing illegally is overkill for the vast majority of kids, now that we have 40-45 pound RF weight limits. Even 95th percentile kids should have no problem rear-facing to age 3 in these seats; average and smaller kiddos could RF to age 4-5. I think unless a child is going to outgrow the legal US RF options before age 2, it doesn't make sense to me to order overseas.

zoecoltsmama

I am confused, I thought that the multi tec was going to run a little over $500, but I saw a recent post that said they were over $1100? if this is the case I now understand why so many people suggest going with American seats!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I am confused, I thought that the multi tec was going to run a little over $500, but I saw a recent post that said they were over $1100? if this is the case I now understand why so many people suggest going with American seats!

I haven't looked into it in a long time (and never SERIOUSLY looked into it in the first place), but I think the seat itself is about US$500, plus you have to pay for shipping, which would probably be another couple hundred. I doubt you'd be looking at $1100, but you'd be looking at a lot more than a Radian.

romanoma

I agree, now that we have the radians (and if that didn't work, then the CA) I would not recommend a multitech. Way too much money IMO.

zoecoltsmama

Thanks for the responses! Why not rear face the longest possible? Are the safety benefits of rear facing not as strong past when the radian would fit him? If money were no object, it is, but safety is my first priority, what would you choose? I thought that rear facing was beast until you could booster? But some here seem not to like the idea of importing, money and legalities aside, are their other reasons for this?

JerseyGirl'sMama

Here is my DS in a Radian XT SL (he is also in a Companion, but I am looking to move him to a convertible soon.) He is 2 months old and 13lbs here:

RNXTSL.jpg

RNXTSL2.jpg

vonfirmath

Thanks for the responses! Why not rear face the longest possible? Are the safety benefits of rear facing not as strong past when the radian would fit him? If money were no object, it is, but safety is my first priority, what would you choose? I thought that rear facing was beast until you could booster? But some here seem not to like the idea of importing, money and legalities aside, are their other reasons for this?

You can't really put money and legalities aside. Rear-facing to somewhere between 3 and 4 and then forward facing until the child is able to sit properly in a booster is most people's comfort zone here, it seems

(I'm okay turning at 2.5 if necessary). The stats past 4 just don't show a huge difference, certainly not one worth paying a premium $$wise and flouting the law (Flouting the law does have consequences, even if not "caught". Attitudes toward the law and the attitudes your kids see in you toward following the law.)

Safety is not a yes or no thing. Yes, we'd all be safer travelling backwards. (except for those who get car sick and thus end up with health problems). But the incremental increase in safety is not worth the cost of designing new cars, pushing over people's objections, etc. AT THIS TIME.

Maedze

Because there are plenty of seats in the US right now that will get you to safe forward facing age. (which is about 4 years).

6 months ago? There were NO seats that could do that for most kids. Now we have, uh, 8! (Sunshine Kids Radian 65, 80, XT, 65SL, 80SL, XTSL, Graco My Ride 65, Safety First Complete Air, and for tall-but-skinny kids, the First Years True Fit)

The benefits of rear facing become less substantial once the cervical spine has fused. 4 years is an excellent goal, and you can get there with US products.

Trooperski

Check out my question about wings vs no wings (I think I posted it yesterday or the day before) cause I had the same question about the wings....I was concerned my child wouldn't be as safe. I have decided to go with the XT SL provided it fits in our car. After looking at the picture that someone posted of the baby in it, I am feeling better that my daughter won't be in the wings for a while. The seat seems deep enough to protect. One thing I liked about the XT SL was the rear tether. For what I am told, it provides extra side impact protection. And I would imagine if your little one is sitting in the middle seat, he'd be safer anyway. Unfortunately, mine can't because the seatbelt comes down from the ceiling and just really didn't work on the infant seat.

bella_1818

Here's my :twocents:

Maybe order one of the the many US seats recommended by the PP from a place that offers free/discount return shipping or in-store returns (Walmart/Target/Elitecarseat). Try them out in your car, and if they fit then GREAT! You just saved lots of money and can transport your child legally.

If none of them work out, then order the Swedish seat. The best price I found was around $500 plus $95 s/h.

Calleiah

At 6 months, its' really hard to determine his growth trend for the next few years. Babies tend to slow down on weight gain when they start to walk and he may slow down on height quite a bit too. You have lots of terrific legal seats that will likely get you years of RF time. I have a very tall 3 year old. She's currently hovering between a 4-5T clothes, and weighs around 36-38lbs. She is RF in a Radian 80, on the 3rd slots. She has about 3 inches above her head. At this rate, she'll definitely see her 4th bday in the Radian RF.

zoecoltsmama

Just want to thank you all for your help and suggestions! You are all so helpful!
Thanks JerseyGirl'sMama for those pics! The pics really help (glad he wore appropriate atire)!

We went to the store and were able to try out a Radian 80, a Britax Boulevard CS, and an Advocate. But not the True fit or the XTSL. Am I correct in assuming that all radians have the same footprint? I am bumbed I can't find the True fit anywhere in person. I like the idea of ordering one w/free return and still might do it, but honestly don't have a grate track record with the returning part. I guess we could keep it as our second seat if I really flaked.

So, before we tried them out I was pretty sold on the Radian, but now not so much. I know some feel that Britax seats are overpriced and gimmicky, but Colt seemed really safe and comfortable amongst all those "gimmicks". I like the deep sides, the head wings, and the fact that it was high enough for him to see out the window. When we put him in the radian, even though he looked safe and snug it just seemed like it was a seat made for an older child. He was much lower and the sides are so much shallower.

So here is my idea and you can tell me if I'm crazy. I am thinking about getting the Britax rite now and having him use in it till he outgrows it RF or the next theoretical baby was ready for it. Then get the XTSL (or something like it) in a few years to ERF even longer and then turn it around to use as a forward facing harness. What do you think?:question:

zoecoltsmama

Ooops one more question! Does anyone know the measurements of interior seat height of the true fit w/out the extension attached? Wondering if we could get any use out of that feature at this stage in the game.

J
So here is my idea and you can tell me if I'm crazy. I am thinking about getting the Britax rite now and having him use in it till he outgrows it RF or the next theoretical baby was ready for it. Then get the XTSL (or something like it) in a few years to ERF even longer and then turn it around to use as a forward facing harness. What do you think?:question:

Around here, NO ONE will think you're crazy for getting one excellent convertible now and then a different one in the future (call us a bunch of "Car Seat Enablers" :D). If the Britax fits your son and your car well and it's easy for you to use, go for it. There isn't as much "buzz" around the Marathon and its cousins now that there are seats with higher rearfacing weight limits, but it wasn't too long ago when Britax was making the ONLY commonly available US seats that harnessed above 40 lbs.

And who knows what other cool seats might be on the market by the time your son approaches the RF weight limit of the Britax?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Have you been able to look at a graco myride 65? That this is completely lined with eps foam, has nice deep sides, and rf to 40 pounds. And will last just as long as the boulevard height wise, maybe even longer rf. Some seem to find it is taller than the boulevard for rf. And, it is only around 150:D

Kat_Momof3

Around here, NO ONE will think you're crazy for getting one excellent convertible now and then a different one in the future (call us a bunch of "Car Seat Enablers" :D). If the Britax fits your son and your car well and it's easy for you to use, go for it. There isn't as much "buzz" around the Marathon and its cousins now that there are seats with higher rearfacing weight limits, but it wasn't too long ago when Britax was making the ONLY commonly available US seats that harnessed above 40 lbs.

And who knows what other cool seats might be on the market by the time your son approaches the RF weight limit of the Britax?

AND... around here NO ONE... and I do mean NO ONE is going to say Britax Seats are Gimmicky...

while most would say the Advocate takes it too far (with the weird cushions on the outside of the seat and all), we all LOVE LOVE LOVE the Roundabout and Diplomat for it's easy adjustability (though short-term use), their big sisters the Roundabout 50, Marathon, and Boulevard, as well as the soon to be gone BIGGEST forward facing only sister... the Regent

No no.. in a world (way back 4 yrs ago) when nothing else harnessed over 40lbs or installed without a sweat... Britax was IT...

We lusted only for other companies (britax included) to simply offer the same ease of use and install and high weight limits with a lower price to make them more doable for more people.

And if you're going to have more kids, you can save the Britax seat for the next child... and just keep passing seats down till they expire and get more use out of them that way.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
AND... around here NO ONE... and I do mean NO ONE is going to say Britax Seats are Gimmicky...

while most would say the Advocate takes it too far (with the weird cushions on the outside of the seat and all), we all LOVE LOVE LOVE the Roundabout and Diplomat for it's easy adjustability (though short-term use), their big sisters the Roundabout 50, Marathon, and Boulevard, as well as the soon to be gone BIGGEST forward facing only sister... the Regent

Ummm...that's debatable. :whistle: Many people think Britax seats are gimmicky, and many people do not LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

But that said, yes, a Britax is a fine seat and if it fits your child, your car, and your budget, that's great. No, they will not last as long as some other seats out there, but you seem to realize that and seem willing to purchase another seat later on if need be. So no problems.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC