Just need a bit of ERF love.

mommycat

I just need a pat on the back and a poor baby or two (though suggestions are welcome, as well). :p

I've been getting comments lately from DH and ILs about DS2 and ERF.

ILs say, "when is he going to be old enough to FF, his legs are so cramped!" (they have an MA for him because it is so easy to install, and they need a lot of room in the front so it is quite upright. He does have very little leg room.) I tell them he's safer this way and he's not that uncomfortable and they just accept it, but they mention it again after a short while.

DH says, "we should turn him around now" and the like, also stating leg room as one of the reasons. (He is AOEs in our vehicles and while it's not horrible it is getting a little cramped.) DH is also making comments about DS2 still nursing, as well, so that makes it even more frustrating. I explained it to him in brief but not uncertain terms, asking him if he would rather have him be cramped or have a broken neck, 5x as safe, etc. He complained about my delivery but let the topic go.

It's making me a bit frustrated though. I was finally resigned to not getting any new, cool seats for a long time since we have more seats than we need as it is, but this has me trying to figure out seat options that would work better.

I really like my AOEs RF and don't really want to ditch them since I have no issues putting DS in, myself. I like the Sceneras but they're about the same for leg room, aren't they?? The MAs just work so well in ILs car (one is FF and one is RF) because I feel confident that they are installed correctly. These were the only seats of all the ones I have that went in RF with no fuss when my ILs installed, and work best FF as well.

I need the tall harnesses in the RNs and TF to FF my almost 5yo or I might be passing these seats on as I know they tend to give more leg room. Even if I was to sell the AOEs to fund new seats, I would be spending money and I do NOT have money to spend right now when I don't need to spend it. :(

Thanks for listening.:thanx!:

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The My Ride is pretty affordable and gives mt 4YO DD lots more RF legroom than the MA. :twocents:

mommy2jasmine

Unfortunately, I don't think you can do anything else to convince your family to stop pestering you. You know you are doing the right thing. You're the one who has done the research. If they haven't seen the videos yet, show them. That might help. If they've already seen them, then all you have left is just to hang in there. It may never pass, but just like when you're a kid and your brother is picking on you, don't let them know it's getting to you. They just may find that as an opportunity to get you to cave.

I hope that helps. I also recommend the MyRide, if you're looking at getting rid of the AOE. I don't have one, but I honestly haven't heard one person complain about the install, and they seem to be really great seats for even the over average crowd.

mommycat

It's tempting. Apparently it is making it's appearance across Canada as we speak. I would love to get my hands on a 40lb RF seat (even though we probably wouldn't make it even close to that limit).

But, it's $219 and for that price it would probably make more sense to buy DS1 a Nauti and pass down a RN or TF, instead. And then have to decide which seat to sell, which wouldn't cover the cost of the new one anyway (unless I sold a MA...)

amyd

Do it:D I looked at one this morning & wanted to buy it so bad (except it's got stupid Graco UAS clips & I'm a push-button connector snob:cool:)!! I'd totally sell a MA for a 40lb RFing seat, especially to get more leg room. In fact, my MA is going to be up on Kijiji very soon. I love it, but it's just too far behind now, ya know?:thumbsdown:

mommycat

Way to enable! :D If there was some easy way to have my MIL try to install it in her vehicle, I would seriously consider it. (Currently I am only half-seriously considering it... ;) ) I know *I* could get it in no problem, the question is, could *they* get it in esily and correctly, every time? The separate LATCH straps on the MA make it a winner for that sitch.

Off to figure out how much I could ask for one of my MAs...

mommycat

That really sucks about the connectors! Hmm. That's a con.

How easy is it to install, really? Compared to an old AOE (which did not work all that well for ILs) and an MA (which works great)? ILs need something easy in terms of recline adjustment, something that doesn't take up a lot of room front/back, and that installs well just leaning on the seat with your hand - they will not be climbing in/around/behind the seat or even leaning into it all that much. The vehicle is an older Buick Century with really squishy seats, if it matters.

How much of a difference is there in height for the MR vs a TF or a Radian? My kids are on the slimmer side so the 40lb limit is not such a big deal. DS2 is 25 lbs (only gained 1-2 lbs in past year, too - they gain sloooowly) and about 33". He is about 13-1/4" in the torso and 20-1/4" sitting height to top of head. It should be fine for size, right? Enough that the difference from the Radian or TF hardly matters?

I can't quite remember when my MA expires, but I think I could try to get at least $175 for it, it's no older than 3 years. So for $50-75 out of pocket I could trade up for more legroom, higher RF weight/height limit, an extra 3 years of seat life, and cupholders... (losing lockoffs, push button connectors and buttery installation) Although that's still $$ I don't need to be spending at all.

Anyone else wanna enable me? Talk me out of it?

Jonah Baby

The MyRide also has separate LATCH straps as well.
It is reasonably easy to install RFing, LATCH or belt.

I feel the pain with the ERF nay-sayers. My parents are horrible. I have always been a parenting failure to them anyway, so I just brush it off now. Don't let it bother you.
They are also completely irresponsible when it comes to installing a seat, so I know how that is. I can't simply leave a seat installed for them and trust it, either, as they like to take it out just to piss me off.
I did get lucky - DH is completely on board with ERF and is proud to support it and tells all of his friends about it (most of whom don't even have children.) I guess knowing about crash testing is up his alley anyway, being a vehicle and mechanic fanatic. He, however, still cannot safely install a seat. My parents have done better installs than he has.

My boy did seem to have more leg room in a RFing Scenera over an AOE. It has been a while, however, and our AOE was older if that matters.

Good luck.

flutie128

I feel for you. I have started to get some comments from my friend that watches DD since her legs have started to touch the back seat now. The funny thing about it is that he didn't care when her lags were hanging out the end of the snugride.

I find the Nautilus very easy to install with either the seat belt or the LATCH strap. DS rides in one all of the time and it get taken out every so often.

NSmom

Sorry to hear your ILs and DH are making a fuss about the RF, I know my ILs probably think I am nuts since DD is almost 6 and still harnessed while BILs 3 year old is in a crappy booster.

If you want a solution without buying new seats, I would just ask them to think about how they would feel if DS2 were FF and they got in an accident and he suffered injuries or worse that could have been prevented if he were RF. It worked for my DH when we had to buy DD the Frontier and GN last year rather than a booster. Also, if the ILs could install it, maybe you could trade DS1 TF in your car for for DS2 MA in theirs, at least it would solve the RF leg room problem in their car so they would stop making a fuss.

If you are looking to be enabled, you know how I love new seats!;) So if they could install a MR and you can swing it then just do it. Or you could pass DS1 seats on, sell your AOE's and get him a Nautilus or Frontier (I still :love: my Frontier the best!), since he will probably need the extra height eventually anyway.

mommycat

Thanks to everyone. :)

Jonah Baby, I know the MyRide has separate FF and RF latch straps, but they only adjust on one side each, don't they? The nice thing about the MA is that each side has an independent latch strap with it's own adjuster, which seems to make it a lot easier to get the seat in tight. Your ILs sound like a pain, glad Dh at least is on your side (even if he is install-challenged).

flutie128, that's funny about her legs hanging out not being an issue. I do find that now DS2's legs are well into the seatback, I need to straighten them out upwards and to the side a bit to get the hipstraps nice and snug so I can clip the harness together when he is wearing thicker clothing (I don't loosen every time). I haven't mentioned this trick to anyone yet, need to pass that on... but they will probably make some comment about leg room then. His leg really have grown recently though. Thanks for the Nauti endorsement - it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to trade up a MA for a Nauti, I should come out close to even $$ wise and have so much more use out of the seat in the end. Need to think about this even if it has nothing to do with DS2's legs in the end.

NSmom, I just gave them the second MA because I was not comfortable FF a MA in my Civic after seeing the TC research crash videos, just in case there really is something to the Civic/MA combo that makes it perform badly. My parents' car is a civic as well. There isn't really a way for me to shuffle seats without buying a new one except to try the 2nd Scenera in ILs car and see how they do putting that in. In fact, I think I might try that... And then trade in an MA for a Nauti if I can find one on sale (would love to do a Frontier but it's so much more $$). I don't know that I want to get rid of the AOEs because that wouldn't cover the cost of a new seat, where the MA would. And I think I would still have enough HWH seats to cover all the cars. Need to play musical carseats in my head on one of my commutes home. :)

Not to sound like I am pack-pedalling, but I am feeling guilt in case I made my ILs sound like they were not on board. I want to clarify, in all fairness, that the ILs are not pressuring me, they just mention it every couple of months or so. I think they are genuinely concerned for his comfort and while they have seen some videos and know the info in general they still can't get over the lack of leg room in the MA. Which really is sadly lacking. Also, they do their best to install well and most of the time they do a good job. It's just a lot of little things to remember and it's not a passion for them like it is for me. They also physically have a harder time getting around the seats. So while the RF AOE install was passable, the MA is great. It fits better.

As for DH, well, he was a bit more abrupt about it but he hasn't raised the issue since my "educational moment". So here's hoping that he will leave it up to me again from now on... ;)

AtTheSouthDam

Don't feel bad. All I get from my parents is "will she ever hit 35 pounds?" They don't realize her current seats go to 40 :whistle: They mention it occasionally but they are fairly on board too. And if he is happy in his seats don't feel guilty.

NannyMom

I too love the MA for easy latch install. I'd love to have one for a back up seat, just because it's so easy. But at the same time, I don;t really want to buy more Britax seats (I have 2).

The latch on the MR is the same as most seats. I strap (well, 1 strap for RF and 1 for FF). I find it easier to install standing behind it, and pushing. But I do the same with my Titans, I find it is less floppy (ya know... pushing it with your hand to create rebound). Yes, floppy is normal, but I like less if I can get it ;) The shell of the MR is about as high as the MA. Could you see DS2 getting near 40 pounds in the MA (forget about the legs)?

I feel for you. I too many times have been on the quest for the 'perfect seat'. For grandparents, and DH, and now my van. I'm just lucky that no one gives me a hard time with RF.

mommycat

All I get from my parents is "will she ever hit 35 pounds?" They don't realize her current seats go to 40 :whistle:
:ROTFLMAO:

Thanks! Considering my almost 5yo just this year finally weighed in over 35 lbs, I still have a long time to potentially RF DS2. I need to build up some immunity to the questions. :p

mommycat

NannyMom, I install most RF seats by standing behind them now. But there's NO WAY that the ILs can do that. So I try out potential installs with just a hand in the seat and not leaning into the vehicle too far either. Who knows, it might work well. I think an issue with the AOE install was that it needed a pool noodle and it was just not that stable after it was in when MIL tried it.

As for weight, see previous post, if he is anything like big brother he will have long outgrown the seat by height RF before getting even close to 40 lbs! This is DS1 in the MA at 37 lbs!
attachment.php

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC