Flying alone with 4 kids, a few ???

Mom2three

I'm a little overwhelmed right now. For Thanksgiving I will be flying with all four kids and meeting DH at our destination. Our flight is only a couple of hours, and we will have a rental car at our destination.

DD is 34 months and weighs 25lbs.
DS is 5 months and weighs 15ish lbs.
DSD is 8 (will carry on her backless TB)
DNi is almost 13, rides in a seatbelt

The seats we have available are BLVD, TF, Coccoro, Keyfit, and RN65. We have an Avenue too, but it is loaned out and I don't know if I would be able to get it in time.

I am trying to avoid taking a stroller. With the help of the older 2 I think the stroller would be more hassle, and we don't really need it at our destination.

If I get a luggage cart at Walmart and bungee a seat to it for DD can she ride in that thru the airport? Which seat would work best for her? She must RF in the car, but I don't know about in the plane, although I would prefer it.

I think the KF would be easy for DS. I will have him in a moby or ergo in the airport. But I could also use the coccoro. Should I get a luggage cart for his seat too?

The flight is short enough that I am packing a few things to entertain each kid in the diaper bag. I want to avoid too many carry ons so the girls can help me with the kids instead of worrying about their bags.

ADS

Maedze

Oh gee whilikers, you have BIG KIDS. Put those spawn to use and have them lug stuff. I'd bring the keyfit for the baby and the coccoro for the two year old and call it a day :)

skipspin

Does your DD fit in the Coccoro? That would be my choice if you can't get the Avenue back in time. It's so much lighter and easier to carry than the Blvd or TF. The RN would be the next choice, but it's heavy.

I'd take the KF for the baby for sure.

You could put the convertible on a luggage cart with the KF sitting in it. You could put the baby in a sling/carrier and have your DD walk. If you had to have her sit you or one of the big kids could carry the KF and have her sit in her car seat. I'll bet you could bungee the nbb on the cart as well if you needed to.

I've used the RN on the cart and it works fine with a kid in it as long as you get the LATCH straps tight enough that it doesn't fall of when the kiddo wiggles. It's hard to carry down the aisle of the plane though and my or may not fit rolling depending on the plane and how many people stick their foot in the aisle.

Oh, and baby on your back will work fabulously for actually getting on the plane because then you can easily carry and install the car seats that way.

MomToEliEm

How are you planning on having all the kids seated on the plane? Are the two younger kids going to be together and sit by you or will you split them up and have maybe the oldest sitting next to one of the carseats while you sit next to the other child in the carseat?

In any case since you are dealing with carseats (especially rearfacing ones) on a plane, print off these FAA documents to keep in your diaper bag in case you have issues with the carseats on the plane. The documents talk about sitting multiple carseats in one row which is allowed since you are a family unit as well as allowing rearfacing carseats as long as the child still fits according to the manufacturer instructions.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

Mom2three

I'm still not sure how to multi-quote...so I hope I remember everything.

Last time we checked DD still fit RF in the Coccoro...I will check again today.
She can probably walk, but sometimes she doesn't listen so well (what 2 yr old doesn't have their moments) so I can just hope all goes well, and know we have the option of strapping her in if it comes down to it. I could also sling her in a hurry if I needed to and have DNi wear DS.

We will have the luggage cart, with hopefully all seats strapped to it, a diaper bag, and possibly one additional backpack for the bigger girls. DSD can carry this and DNi can either corral DD or handle the luggage cart.

In most cars DSD still uses the back portion of the TB, unless the seats are too sloped for her to fit. And she really prefers to, so I think we will pack it in our luggage.

Thanks for the links with the FAA regs. I have printed them out and will read and highlight any info I think is important. I'm not sure how seating will work now, but DNi can sit with DD if need be, or even the baby. It's a firly short flight, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Southwest.com says all kids need photo ID or a birth cert...I guess I better round all of that up.

Eclipsepearl

I just wanted to add that I put our Radian on a metal luggage cart and my dd could ride in it till she was 3 year old. No problem (average size).

Use an extra bungee if it doesn't feel secure.

I would use two luggage carts, one for each seat. They aren't heavy so the two older girls can take turns with one while you haul the other. You will want to keep your youngest in the wrap, if you're not opting for a stroller.

Can you use a stroller to transport one of the car seats? Just an idea...

Ducky5306

Personally i'd skip the luggage carts and attach the seat (the cocoro) to a suitcase.. I did this by using the Latch Straps, two metal welding rings and a weight-bearing caribeaner.. it worked awesome and my 37lb son rode in it the whole way though both airports! I had a luggage cart but this was better since i had one less thing to carry/pull around! I have pics if you can't picture it :) and then i'd just have an older kiddo carry the keyfit or bungee it to a suitcase (without a child in it, of course!)

Mom2three

Personally i'd skip the luggage carts and attach the seat (the cocoro) to a suitcase.. I did this by using the Latch Straps, two metal welding rings and a weight-bearing caribeaner.. it worked awesome and my 37lb son rode in it the whole way though both airports! I had a luggage cart but this was better since i had one less thing to carry/pull around! I have pics if you can't picture it :) and then i'd just have an older kiddo carry the keyfit or bungee it to a suitcase (without a child in it, of course!)

I saw pics of this when I was searching for options. It's a great idea. I don't know that I want to bring big carryons though. It's a short flight, and the less that I have to drag through security and onto the plane the better. Even though I have the older girls (who are very helpful) the less stuff the better.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You might also consider a carry bag for the Coccoro and just lugging the Keyfit. You have 2 extra sets of hands to help you carry, and they are pretty light seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC