In Google....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I was looking for an Italian CPSafety website, but instead Google gave me this > http://www.salimandsalimah.org/index.htm -- it's really good! :) Even though I'll probably never visit Oman (I'm ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure where it even is on the map?) I think I'll sign up for their newsletter.... Although they have an overlapping range of RF to 15 months, but FF at 9 months :confused:

ADS

JaRylan

That is a great site. The videos that they have are well done.

Is there a place on this forum to gather all the car safety sites from around the world? Would be really great for those who travel out of country.

JaRylan

These are the findings of a survey they did in Oman. I can't believe that 96% of the people surveyed thought it was safe to hold a child while driving.

Child restraint use

Child passengers: 0-4 years

* 96% of respondents believe that babies and children are safe held in the arms of a passenger while travelling in a motor vehicle.
* Only 4% of drivers see any benefit in putting an infant less than 1 year in a child safety seat.
* 43% of drivers are unaware of the recommended age children should be secured in a safety seat. Unsurprisingly, 83% are unaware of the recommended age for moving an infant from a rear-facing safety seat to a forward-facing safety seat.
* 20% of parents claim to secure their children in this age range in a child safety seat. However, in the observational survey the vast majority of children less than 4 years did not wear any form of restraint while travelling in motor vehicles.
* 70% of drivers express the belief that children are safer in the back seat and that, in a collision, children in the back will be protected by the front seat. Despite this, in the observational survey, 43% of children under the age of 4 years were travelling unbuckled next to the driver, half of these on the lap of the front seat passenger. The remaining 57 % of this age group were travelling in the back of the car, nearly all unsecured.

Child passengers: 5-17 years

* 42% of parents claim that they always buckle up their children in this age range. This was not borne out by the observational survey when 86% of children aged 5 years and above were observed travelling unrestrained in the back of motor vehicles.
* Another 7% of children were travelling unrestrained as front seat passengers.
* Only 7% of children in this age group were observed with any form of restraint, most of them seated in the front passenger seat.

Read recommended guidelines on keeping your child safe in a car.

94% of children usually travel as passengers in cars driven by a parent or close family member……….46% of drivers admit that they make no conscious effort to drive more carefully with children in the car
Adult seatbelt use

* 30% of drivers do not wear seat-belts on every journey. Nearly half of these do not wear seatbelts on short journeys and 2 out of 10 others do not buckle up in the dark or travelling outside the capital area Muscat (less chance of detection by the police). Half of drivers who do not always wear seat-belts admit that they are more likely to buckle up if there is a visible police presence.
* Reasons given for failure to buckle up rank from discomfort, fear of being trapped or injured by a seatbelt in a crash or laziness.
* The 70% of respondents who always wear seatbelts cite protective benefits and legal requirement as the main reasons. The majority of drivers who wear seatbelts claim they would continue to buckle up even if it were not require by law.
* Overall, 3 out of 10 drivers would not buckle up if not required by law.
* A significant majority of drivers are reminded to buckle up by the activation of seatbelt warning alarms in their vehicles.
* 79% of drivers believe that seat belts are more important for front seat passengers than back seat passengers. However, only 57% of drivers overall always insist that their front seat passengers buckle up. This figure drops markedly to 38% in Al Batinah area, the region with the highest number of fatalities.
* Most drivers do not see any need for adults riding in the back seat to buckle up; only 7% of respondents always insist on back seat passengers buckle up.

General driving habits

* By their own admission, only 30% of drivers concentrate exclusively on driving when behind the wheel.
* 60% of drivers admit to using mobile telephones both to receive and make calls while driving.
* Nearly 50% of drivers admit to exceeding the speed limit by an average 24 km/hr (rising to 28 km/hr in Al Batinah).
* The perception among drivers is that the category of drivers most to blame for accidents are youngsters driving without licences. This is not borne out by official statistics.
* There are regional variations in habits and perceptions. Seat-belt wearing rates are higher in Muscat than in other areas of the country. In Al Batinah, the region which has consistently recorded more fatalities than any other region every year since 1999, the seatbelt wearing-rate is lower, speeding higher and more significantly more opposition exists to the introduction of child restraint laws.
* Women are slightly more safety conscious than males. A higher percentage of women than men always wear seatbelts themselves and would favour compulsory safety seat laws for children less than 4 years. However, there is less difference in viewpoint between the sexes with regard to compulsory restraint laws for children over 6 years.
* Safety considerations are a distant 6th factor of importance influencing the purchase of a car after price, performance, fuel economy, image and spare parts availability.

B

badriyya

It's great to get your feedback to our community child passenger safety website www.salimandsalimah.org from Oman (Eastern-most tip of Arabia, land of sea, sun, mountains and desert, home of ancient sea-faring, frankincense and myrrh for those who don't know it and my country by marriage). Fully take on board the comment about FF at 9 months. I originally based my advice on UK guidelines which are less stringent than US ones. Although it may be a counsel of perfection for Oman where car seat usage is rare (as noted in the survey, even drivers carry babies on laps), I am now going to modify the advice and our materials to best practice on the basis that one day God willing, we will have car seat legislation and enforcement, schemes, trained fitters, compliant manufacturers etc...............

Please keep the feedback and updates coming

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC