I was able to get 3 across in an Aveo

lillpistol

I am now a SAHM and we have no need for 3 cars, and wanted to let my car go, since it is the oldest. I drive a 2001 Grand Am. The only thing was that I needed to be able to put our 3 kids in our other cars. We already had 3 across in our Tahoe. I just had to see if I could do it in our Aveo. I know what the manual says, but with the seats I used, none of the seat belts were covered. I have a FF Radian, RF Screana, and FF Radian. The install was pretty easy. I tried a RF Radian, but it was too tall for my hubby to drive comfortably. They will probably only ride in this car 3 or 4 times per month.

What do you think? I feel that they are safe. Would you put your kids in there?

DSC_6118.jpg

DSC_6119.jpg

Becki

ADS

lillpistol

The way that I read it is that it doesn't forbid it, but says the seatbelts would not be accessable for the outside seating positions if there is a seat in the middle, and the middle seatbelts wouldn't be accessable if you have seats in the outside positions. These car seats are all narrow, and I had no problem accessing and using the seatbelts. Latch wouldn't have worked at all for 3 across.

Am I incorrect?

Becki

amyd

I am almost positive someone here said the Aveo's owner's manual forbids three across. :(

It doesn't outright FORBID it, but like the OP says, it says that if there's a CR installed center, the outboard positions will be inaccessible. (and vice versa) It doesn't say "you may not" rather "you won't be able to" (at least in the manual I read). I suppose that could be taken either way, though. The wordings a bit ambiguous. I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever called Chevrolet about this.

Kat_Momof3

I take that more of as a "do not expect to easily put 3 kids in seats in this vehicle... something which all of us here would just be like... 'DUH' to...

and of course, with the right seats, and it being the 4-door, it was doable.... YAY... I bet with a cocorro instead of the scenera (but the scenera is taller, so I'm glad it worked) it would be even easier.

Now here's a challenge... can you fit 3 Radians or can you even manage to put a RSTV in there with the Radians?

lillpistol

I think the radians would fit 3 across if the center was RF, and for a short driver, that would work. But my hubby is tall, and the radian was too tall to fit in the center with the seat all the way back. That is what i wanted to do (would have had to order another radian). Not sure if they would all fit facing the same direction. The Scerena fit great if I installed in a little more upright (my son is 8 months). With a tall driver, it would be hard to get the 45 degree angle for a newborn. I had the scerena on hand and just decided to try it to see if it would work after I decided the radian was too tall for my hubby to comfortably drive the car. He drives it to work everyday. The kids will not ride it in often.

I don't know about the RSTV. I think a petite child could fit between the Radians, so maybe it would work. Here is a pic from the front seat (not an easy pic to take!). The Scerena looks tilted in this pic, but after taking it, I checked and it is not. I also had to take the headrests off to get a good fit for the Radians.

DSC_6120.jpg

Becki

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC