Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I was able to get 3 across in an Aveo

I am now a SAHM and we have no need for 3 cars, and wanted to let my car go, since it is the oldest. I drive a 2001 Grand Am. The only thing was that I needed to be able to put our 3 kids in our other cars. We already had 3 across in our Tahoe. I just had to see if I could do it in our Aveo. I know what the manual says, but with the seats I used, none of the seat belts were covered. I have a FF Radian, RF Screana, and FF Radian. The install was pretty easy. I tried a RF Radian, but it was too tall for my hubby to drive comfortably. They will probably only ride in this car 3 or 4 times per month.

What do you think? I feel that they are safe. Would you put your kids in there?

Becki

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: I was able to get 3 across in an Aveo

It looks great! Just pull the Scenera out to make sure the Radians are independently installed

Thanks! I did pull the screana out to make sure the radians were installed correctly. Everything was tight.

Becki

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

I am almost positive someone here said the Aveo's owner's manual forbids three across.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

The way that I read it is that it doesn't forbid it, but says the seatbelts would not be accessable for the outside seating positions if there is a seat in the middle, and the middle seatbelts wouldn't be accessable if you have seats in the outside positions. These car seats are all narrow, and I had no problem accessing and using the seatbelts. Latch wouldn't have worked at all for 3 across.

Am I incorrect?

Becki

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    I am almost positive someone here said the Aveo's owner's manual forbids three across.
    It doesn't outright FORBID it, but like the OP says, it says that if there's a CR installed center, the outboard positions will be inaccessible. (and vice versa) It doesn't say "you may not" rather "you won't be able to" (at least in the manual I read). I suppose that could be taken either way, though. The wordings a bit ambiguous. I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever called Chevrolet about this.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

I take that more of as a "do not expect to easily put 3 kids in seats in this vehicle... something which all of us here would just be like... 'DUH' to...

and of course, with the right seats, and it being the 4-door, it was doable.... YAY... I bet with a cocorro instead of the scenera (but the scenera is taller, so I'm glad it worked) it would be even easier.

Now here's a challenge... can you fit 3 Radians or can you even manage to put a RSTV in there with the Radians?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

I think the radians would fit 3 across if the center was RF, and for a short driver, that would work. But my hubby is tall, and the radian was too tall to fit in the center with the seat all the way back. That is what i wanted to do (would have had to order another radian). Not sure if they would all fit facing the same direction. The Scerena fit great if I installed in a little more upright (my son is 8 months). With a tall driver, it would be hard to get the 45 degree angle for a newborn. I had the scerena on hand and just decided to try it to see if it would work after I decided the radian was too tall for my hubby to comfortably drive the car. He drives it to work everyday. The kids will not ride it in often.

I don't know about the RSTV. I think a petite child could fit between the Radians, so maybe it would work. Here is a pic from the front seat (not an easy pic to take!). The Scerena looks tilted in this pic, but after taking it, I checked and it is not. I also had to take the headrests off to get a good fit for the Radians.

Becki