Help please! Frontier or Recaro Young Sport?

nikkiallana

Hi all -- I'm in serious need of informed opinions. We need to purchase a new seat since my 9mo old is rapidly outgrowing his infant seat.

Currently have a Roundabout and a Graco Comfort Sport for my 3yo ds (23 lbs and 36" -- no that is not a typo -- 23lbs). He has been FF for a while now since he was quite unhappy RF. It makes sense to me to move into a 5 point booster for him -- he is on the top slot of the Roundabout and has also maxed out the other one -- and to move my baby into the Roundabout RF.

The dilemma is which booster? Graco Nautilus doesn't seem to fit him well -- his head is pushed forward (the way airline headrests do to me -- very annoying) and the padding is so skimpy that I think he'll develop bed sores on any trip > 2 hours (the kid has NO butt padding:)). I've tried him in the Britax Frontier and the only thing that worries me is some mediocre reviews I've seen (seems to fit him well). I'm also interested in the Recaro Young Sport but there are no dealers within a 6 hour drive so trying it out prior seems impossible. Any recs? Any models that I'm missing? Thanks!

ADS

firemomof3

Are you going to put your 9mo. rear facing in the Roundabout? What type/year of vehicle will the seats be installed in? Do you have tether anchors?
As for your 3y/o the Radian rf would be my first choice because it has memory foam in the seat area and has loads of leg room making it comfy rf.
If rf is definitely out then yes the YS would be a great choice. I have one and really love :love: it. Its easy to install and fits smaller kids exceptionally well. I have loads of pics. if you need them.

fyrfightermomma

I agree with the PP. My daugter was roughly 23 lbs and 4 years old when we made the decision to forward face her. We had a frontier and it just swallowed her being so narrow. Plus the weight minimum is 25 lbs which meant I had a choice to make. Installation is also tricky in many cars. We got rid of it after a month

Shes now in a Young Sport and it fits her SO well. Its her favorite seat and ours. Easy to install, harness is like butter, easy to adjust and makes one of the best boosters of any combo seat when (if!) that time ever comes. Also absolutely no head slump and great side impact protection. Im in the itty bitty kid club and I understand how it seems they will never be big enough to forward face or booster! The 40 lb limit doesnt concern me at all and should be fine for you. Just means I cant pass it down to my younger one cause shes so much bigger

Her other seat is the GN and we dont really like it either. Its only in DHs car so it doesnt get used alot

So I agree, if you are willing to RF, the newer Radians with comfort foam would be great if it installs in your vehicle. If you'd like to stick to forward facing the YS is an awesome choice for littler ones.

Last edited:

nikkiallana

Thanks for the input. Primary car is 2008 Kia Rondo so I have tethers for FF (Doesn't the Radian require tether for RF? How does that work?) secondary car is 2004 Ford Escape.

I haven't actually sat the 3yo in a Radian but I was concerned that he might outgrow it in height because that seems to be what's happening with the Roundabout...but I'll check it out. My understanding was that the Radian 65 and 80 have the same harness height options -- have I been misinformed?

9mo old will go RF into the Roundabout once we figure out what the heck we're doing...and I am considering the GN for DH's car which would be the backup seat...But the Recaro does sounds like a good option...Thanks again.

jujumum

Of these two, for a child of 23lbs, the Young Sport is a better choice. I would also recommend that you check out the Radian 80 or XT.:)

armywife12

Thanks for the input. Primary car is 2008 Kia Rondo so I have tethers for FF (Doesn't the Radian require tether for RF? How does that work?) secondary car is 2004 Ford Escape.

I haven't actually sat the 3yo in a Radian but I was concerned that he might outgrow it in height because that seems to be what's happening with the Roundabout...but I'll check it out. My understanding was that the Radian 65 and 80 have the same harness height options -- have I been misinformed?

9mo old will go RF into the Roundabout once we figure out what the heck we're doing...and I am considering the GN for DH's car which would be the backup seat...But the Recaro does sounds like a good option...Thanks again.

The Radians don't require a tether for RF but it is recommended because of the added safety. I'm not sure how the Radians tether rear facing but the Britax convertibles come with a D Ring so you can loop it around any non movable bolted part that is towards the front of the seat. We used the passenger seat track for our Britax.
All of the Radians have the same shell height so, yes, all of them will be outgrown in height at the same time. Most car seats are outgrown in height before weight so your child seems pretty normal with that. My son has been hitting the max weight limits for rear facing in his seats rather than height...he's an oddball.

At only 23lbs, the YS sounds like it would work out well but I'd look into the Radian if you want to give rear facing another shot. Your 3 yr old is definitely on the small side and could stay rear facing for quite some time. My just turned 2 yr old is 38 inches and 35lbs rear facing in a MyRide and loves it. He is actually happier in his Myride rear facing than he is forward facing in his Frontier...lol.

another vote here for the Young Sport.
we have 6, 2 in each of 3 cars
i have teeny kids and these seats are just perfect and soooo comfy.
my eldest has just hit 40lbs - need to update siggy, and as we only have 40lb limits on all UK seats, i have removed the harness and he uses it as a booster and fits him great.

Kat_Momof3

for such a skinny kid, go with the Young sport... Recaro makes some seriously amazing seats and the young sport has tall top slots... at only 23lbs, I wouldn't be worrying about only having a 40lb minimum and the Youngsport even makes a great booster, if your second baby isn't another skinny minny to inherit it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC