FFing in a Marathon Safe?

Joyofbirth

My dd2 is forward facing in a Bitax Marathon. She is 3 years 3 months, 33-35 pounds, depending on when and where she is weighed. Is she safe in this seat? If this was your dd, would you feel okay with her in this seat? Also, I do not yet have tether anchors in my van, which is a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country. I am just unsure with the TC videos and everything. So, experts, give it to me straight.

ADS

jujumum

I am no expert, but have a lot of Britax seats & have watched all the videos and read all the associated threads. I want to replace my dd's BV and MA with a GN or Radian now, but might not. My head is swimming.

If you're concerned, having you thought about swapping the MA for the TF? I love the MA rf with tether.

CaseyRN

I am no expert....

DD is almost 3yo and 27pounds FF in a MA. As of now I am ok with it. The videos freaked me out but I just have to believe that they will recall them if need be. Will I use it when she is near the upper limits of the seat...probably not. But for now I am still using it. It is top tethered though and I am not sure I would be comfortable with it NOT being tethered.

Joyofbirth

I am no expert, but have a lot of Britax seats & have watched all the videos and read all the associated threads. I want to replace my dd's BV and MA with a GN or Radian now, but might not. My head is swimming.

If you're concerned, having you thought about swapping the MA for the TF? I love the MA rf with tether.

We just got these seats, so I'm still figuring it all out. I had considered it. Right now, it's a cover thing. The True Fit is blue and gray, which dd2 loved until she was presented with a butterfly seat. I also love the way dd3 fits in the TF better. I may try to shuffle them around tomorrow and see. I was wondering if she was safe to just leave it be.

StillThankful

Not an expert either--just a mom. I'm sure a tech will help you with stats and more info.

After seeing the TC videos, my heart sank and I immediately stopped using my untethered MA FF for my 3 year old. I didn't have tether anchors either in my 95 Honda Odyssey.

I was lucky though b/c I had a free Evenflo Titan 5; therefore, I used that until I could gather enough money to get her another car seat to rear face her again.

I still have the Marathon and Boulevard, but will only use them rearfacing for DD2 in my husband's car (which is a very rare occasion). I will keep them until I can sell them or give them away.

BTW, the MA straps broke/tore through the shell twice while being tested in the honda civic, once in the ford fusion, and once in the dodge caravan. Some will say that unless you have those specific cars, then you can still use the Marathon; however, if pictures speak a thousand words, then videos speak 5000 words--you don't have to tell me twice.

Peace of mind is priceless. I now have DD1 RF in Radian XT SL and DD2 RF in Graco My Ride 65.

a_js

I personally would not be comfortable with it; I don't know if that's based on logic or emotion, or some of both, but it wouldn't be my choice.

Chex

I took my 40 lb 4yo out of her tethered FF MA and switched it w/her little sister's RN. I have a MA and a BLVD and right now they're both being used RF. I don't think I'll ever use them FF. I may not keep them much longer. My 2yo needs more leg room than the MA gives her.

And as far as trusting a company to come out w/a recall, I don't trust companies to do the right thing. ALL companies are out to make money. And very few of the people "at the top" of the companies have the greater good in mind when $ is involved.

cpsaddict

I firmly believe the seats are still safe to use. Why? I believe we would be hearing of real life deaths and injuries from these seats if they are all failing. I believe the manufacturers would be recalling them or at least acknowleding the tests. There is NOTHING definitive in the tests. TC has even stated that the tests are not meant to show one seat is better than another. I would feel comfortable with a properly installed, per the manual, Britax seat and really any other seat that "failed" or whatever on these tests.
Go right ahead and flame me all you want. No way I am pitching my perfectly good and safe Britax seats. I am also not telling my sisters and friends with the seats that they need new ones. And yes, I have watched the videos and read the tests.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
In theory and in professional practice, I would have no problems saying that a properly used britax marathon is a safe seat.
Personally, for my own kid? No way.

BigDaddy

And as far as trusting a company to come out w/a recall, I don't trust companies to do the right thing. ALL companies are out to make money. And very few of the people "at the top" of the companies have the greater good in mind when $ is involved.
Isn't Dorel/Cosco/Safety1st/EddieBauer the only company that got fined multiple times for covering up safety issues instead of issuing a recall?

henrietta

We have a Decathlon and a FPSVD, and ds1, who's 4 yrs old and 35 lbs WAS using one of them forward facing in my Chrysler Town and Country. I switched it out w/our EFTA and have the Decathlon to our younger son to use rearfacing. I'm not totally uncomfortable w/him forward facing in it at this size and weight and top tethered, but since we had another seat that I could use, I went ahead and switched it. Having seen and read the info from TC, I would NOT be comfortable using it for a child much over 45 lbs, esp in those vehicles or without a top tether.

Also, to those w/minivans and no top tether...if your car's manual doesn't prohibit it, you can top tether your ff'ing carseat to an unused third row seatbelt. :thumbsup: For a Honda, you can order the parts (about $15) and install it yourself. For Chrysler, they are free (install included) at the dealership, but you have to order them ahead of time in many cases.

hths

henrietta

emandbri

I have two marathons that I have not used forward facing since the videos came out. I have used one rear-facing for a friend's daughter. I am waiting to hear what britax says before using them forward facing again.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not use ANY seat untethered if there was any way to avoid it -- I'd concentrate more on getting tether anchors installed than replacing seats.

The NHTSA tests and the TC tests tell part of a story. They are scary parts. But they aren't the whole story. We don't know the whole story. We have to trust that if they were truly dangerous, we would know, either through recalls or advisories or real-world stories. We know a few chapters of the story and the ending, and the ending is that they pass.

Where I stand, personally: if they were the seats I owned, I'd continue using them (TETHERED). If I had FFing kids and RFing kids, I'd try to put the RFing kids in the Britaxes and the FFing kids in the other seats. If my child was close to the limits, I might accelerate seat replacement plans. I wouldn't go out and buy a Britax for a FFing kid (but I wouldn't have before the tests either). But again, if I owned them and they fit otherwise, I'd tether them and use them.

Last edited:

Chex

Isn't Dorel/Cosco/Safety1st/EddieBauer the only company that got fined multiple times for covering up safety issues instead of issuing a recall?

As far as I know, yes. My point is not that Britax has ever or will ever cover something up. But I'm not going to put the safety of my children in the hands of businessmen/women who are worried about the bottom line. If there is even a *chance* that these seats are not as safe as others, it's a chance I'm not willing to take.

And as far as the real-world, I don't believe that there are enough Britax convertibles in use FF with a child at the upper-limits of the seat getting into severe car accidents that we'd hear anything about it.

Last edited:

Joyofbirth

I definitely won't be replacing seats. I'm blessed to have these. I'm working on getting tether anchors, but I'm getting a lot of runaround. My dh said I should just order the partrs and he'll install them. But I've gotten different prices from $9 each to a hundred something. I'm going to shuffle a little. If it works for Lilly to have the Marathon, then I'lll do that.
As for real life experience, I have some. My dd was in a Britax seat when we were hit on the highway, rear-ended though. She was 19 months, but big, FFing. The seat didn't budge and we were hit pretty hard. She wasn't in the upper limits though and I think it was a roundabout.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd feel fine with it. The NHTSA compliance testing numbers have been coming out regularly for years, and the seat's always done very well with smaller dummies. I might not feel comfortable pushing it to the upper weight limits, but I don't see any evidence that smaller kids (which would be most of the kids who outgrow the seat by height well under 50 pounds anyway) are at any danger sitting in that seat.
Can you get top tethers added? Or perhaps tether to a third row seatbelt that's not in use by another passenger? That'd be optimal. Using the shoulderbelt lockoffs is also a very good idea (and probably necessary anyway, do your belts lock at all in that car?).
:twocents::)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC