Regent

Katy

My question is, will it be an issue if I don't have latch or tether?

I think I'm going to buy one of these for DS. He's 5. I'd like to keep him harness as long as possible. I'm sure he'll grow out of an carseat in hight before weight. The Apex he's on the top slots now. We have a booster so I don't see a point of getting the GN. Isn't the regent's slots higher.? Plus the regent I'm looking at is the same price. It is online store sale. I hope it is still there when I get the money for it.

ADS
L

LuciaBella

The regent requires the use of top tether if the child is over 50lbs I believe.....so yes, that could be a problem! How much does he weigh? The regent does have higher slots at 19 inches. The GN has 18.25inches I think for the top slots...seems like a waste of money to get that because its comparable to the apex
Someone else can chime in

ginny4

for a regent you HAVE to have a top tether anchor!
the regent is taller than the nautilus by about an inch. an inch is ALOT for older kids too. if the regent won't work for you tho cause of top tether issue then a nautilus would be an excellent choice

Katy

Sunshine Kids Radian - 18" to top harness slot
Recaro Signo - 18" to top harness slot
Britax Frontier - 18.25" to top harness slot
Graco Nautilus - 18.5" to top harness slot
Recaro Como - 19" to top slot
Safeguard Child Seat - 19" to top slot
Britax Regent - 20" to top slot

I got this from an old post.

I'm not sure what the apex top slot is, can anyone help me out so we can compare? the height for the GN and frontier I want to keep him harnessed as long as possible. DH isn't going to let me buy a new seat if it is only for a few months before we need the booster setting. As I said we have boosters for him. If I can get at least another year harnessed I'd be happy.

DS did not like the Recaro como at all.
I believe safeguard needs a tether too.
I picked the regent because it was the tallest.

Can they install tether in any type of car, even older cars? How much does it cost?We don't have much for dealerships around here how do I know they are trained properly to do it right?

ETA ~ he is old, weight, hight, and mature enough to ride in booster. I just prefer harness. he does ride in a booster with his dad, but majority of the time he is with me.

Maedze

The regent requires the use of top tether if the child is over 50lbs I believe.....so yes, that could be a problem! How much does he weigh? The regent does have higher slots at 19 inches. The GN has 18.25inches I think for the top slots...seems like a waste of money to get that because its comparable to the apex
Someone else can chime in

The Nautilus is most certainly not comparable to the Apex. There's probably another year of growing room there.

The Apex tops out at 17".

The Regent requires a top tether anchor after 50 pounds. Under no circumstance would I put a child in a forward facing seat without a top tether anchor. If you want to continue to keep your child harnessed, you need to have tether anchors retrofitted in your vehicle.

Katy

The Regent requires a top tether anchor after 50 pounds. Under no circumstance would I put a child in a forward facing seat without a top tether anchor. If you want to continue to keep your child harnessed, you need to have tether anchors retrofitted in your vehicle.

DS is about 42lbs, I'm not sure how much weight gain this year. I can say he's only gained 2 lb if that this year,

Do you mean any FF seat without a tether.

Can they install tether in any type of car, even older cars? How much does it cost? We don't have much for dealerships around here how do I know they are trained properly to do it right? We switch cars often.

Would it be safer to use a booster, than no tether???????

Jennifer mom to my 7

yes, the nautilus will get you at least a year longer than the apex, and I hear some of the apex's are off a bit, and have lower slots than 17 inches. ANd if you post the year make and model of your vehicle, someone can help you in getting a top tether retrofit.

Maedze

If he's old enough and big enough to be in a booster, I'd rather see him in a good belt positioning booster, high back, with good SIP, than an untethered forward facing seat.

The cost and availability of retrofit depends on your make, model and year. If you tell me I can fill you in on what you need to know :)

Joyofbirth

If he's old enough and big enough to be in a booster, I'd rather see him in a good belt positioning booster, high back, with good SIP, than an untethered forward facing seat.

The cost and availability of retrofit depends on your make, model and year. If you tell me I can fill you in on what you need to know :)

I'm curious why you say this. What would the difference be? Please explain, if you would.

libranbutterfly

I got this from an old post.

I'm not sure what the apex top slot is, can anyone help me out so we can compare? the height for the GN and frontier I want to keep him harnessed as long as possible. DH isn't going to let me buy a new seat if it is only for a few months before we need the booster setting. As I said we have boosters for him. If I can get at least another year harnessed I'd be happy.

DS did not like the Recaro como at all.
I believe safeguard needs a tether too.
I picked the regent because it was the tallest.

Can they install tether in any type of car, even older cars? How much does it cost?We don't have much for dealerships around here how do I know they are trained properly to do it right?

ETA ~ he is old, weight, hight, and mature enough to ride in booster. I just prefer harness. he does ride in a booster with his dad, but majority of the time he is with me.

I can try my Husky (predecessor to the Regent) in my car which is similar to yours. But, you will need to get the top tether installed (That is why my Husky is not in this vehicle, I haven't gotten them installed yet ;) ) dealerships are supposed to install or give you the parts for one for free. It is usually the center one. I have not been able to find a dealer who had an outboard tether assembly or knew how to order it for vehicles similar to ours.

BigDaddy

I'm curious why you say this. What would the difference be? Please explain, if you would.
I can't speak for Maedze, but I'd assume because there's less head excursion, and much less likely for the head to impact the seat directly in front of the CR in an accident.

Joyofbirth

There's less head excursion in a booster than in an untethered harnessed seat? I would not have figured that. That's interesting information to have. I wish it was easier to get older cars retrofitted. Thanks for sharing that.

sholoulou

I had my car retro fitted for a tether when I bought my regent. The parts for 3 seats was 30.00 and they charged me 15.00 (I think) to install them. I have a 1997 Trooper.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC