Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Dilemma

Dilemma

I was going to reply to the other thread with the same subject, but after writing it all out, I felt bad, and that I was stealing the thread

My daughter's Radian is installed in the middle, in our Ford Focus. I love it there, it fits great, but (and this is a huge but) my dh can't seem to remember to tell his extremely TALL friends not to cram their seat back into it. EVERY day of the work week he has someone in his car, and even the short ones think they need to ride gangster style to lunch. I don't get it, and I am getting REALLY tired of telling my husband he needs to stop his friends from doing that. It's tethered down, and when they push the seat back it forces it up, and puts more tension on the tether. And, it pushes it to the side, and since it's lap/shoulder installed, after so many times I have to completely re-install it, because it starts tilting to one side. I'm not so much worried about it happening every once in awhile, but this is daily, M-F. I don't like the idea of putting that stress on it on a daily basis, especially since I know it stays like that some days, because he will give someone a ride Monday, then I don't go anywhere in the car until Saturday.

So...what's the statistic for putting car seats on the side? I know the middle is the safest, and that by her being rear facing she is extremely well prepared for a side impact collision. I told my husband the next time I get in the car and I have to adjust everything, her seat is going behind the drivers seat, and he is NOT going to like having his seat upright, so maybe after driving with the seat like that for awhile he will remember to tell his friends they can either deal with it, or walk to lunch.

Thanks
    Jen - Proud mommy to
    Jasmine - 3.5 yrs 32 lbs & 36 inches. Torso = 12 inches. RF in a Graco MyRide 65

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Dilemma

Depending which study you look at, it's anywhere from 16% for adults to 40-some percent for babies and young children. That's approximately the same difference as moving from the front seat to the back.

If you can't get your DH to change what his coworkers are doing, I would leave the seat untethered and use a locking clip instead of locking at the retractor. That should minimize how much moving the front seat messes up your install.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Carseat Crazy

I agree, just undo the tether, either permenantly or just during the week when DHs friends are in the car. I think middle untethered is better than outboard tethered.

Although if the intent is to make DH eat dash to learn a lesson, then by all means, outboard behind the driver

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

Oh heck, I'd just tape a big sign... "do NOT move me back" on the passenger seat... with the details "it will mess up the installation of our carseat for our child"

LOTS of tape... and if they miss that, well, then his friend needs to ride in back.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    Oh heck, I'd just tape a big sign... "do NOT move me back" on the passenger seat... with the details "it will mess up the installation of our carseat for our child"

LOTS of tape... and if they miss that, well, then his friend needs to ride in back.

Oh, wow. That's a lot more than I had thought. I just moved it to the side, but I'll be moving it back once we get back in the car this evening.

I think I'll do a little of both. I'll make a note AND untether. I'm mostly worried about the tether, rather than the tilting. Tilting, I can fix, but not a stressed tether.

Well, I gotta re-install it in the middle now anyway, I'll just use the locking clip too.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa+3 View Post
    Jen - Proud mommy to
    Jasmine - 3.5 yrs 32 lbs & 36 inches. Torso = 12 inches. RF in a Graco MyRide 65

Would it be a horrible idea to put a piece of tape over the recline handle on the passenger seat? That way when friends get in and automatically go to reach for it they get confused and ask.

I never even thought of that! Good idea! I'm going to do that as soon as my husband gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmasMom View Post
    Would it be a horrible idea to put a piece of tape over the recline handle on the passenger seat? That way when friends get in and automatically go to reach for it they get confused and ask.
    Jen - Proud mommy to