RSTV

sunnydayz

I recently purchased a Ride Safer Travel Vest (size S) for my 5 year-old. We used it for our vacation a couple weeks ago and I noticed how the lap belt placement was right over his belly (sorry no photos). The vest fit perfectly (he's about 46 inches and 49lbs). We used lap/shoulder belts with top tether. The problem is the guides for the lap belt portion are located at the bottom of the vest and the bottom of the vest is positioned directly over his belly.

I just looked at the Safe Traffic Systems website and it looks like their new RSTV is out. It has a flap that extends from the bottom of the vest. The lap belt guide has been moved to the new flap and appears it would position the lap belt much lower.

Anyway, is the lap belt placement a concern? We were hoping to use it again, but I've always heard that the lap belt portion should not be placed over the belly.

Thank you!

ADS

sunnydayz

I thought he would for sure be a small based off his measurements (and he was 3 lbs lighter a couple months ago). He has a fairly long torso, though, so the vest rides higher than it would on somone with the same stats and a shorter torso.

I guess it's a no-go then?

Maedze

The vest fit is more about height than weight. Because he's all ready within the limits for the large AND he has a large torso, it sounds like the small does not fit him correctly.

courtfrog2

Are you sure you aren't just tightening the tether strap too much? That can pull up on the whole vest and cause the same problem. Does using the crotch strap help?

sunnydayz

I didn't even think about tightening the tether. I know we made it fairly tight. :eek: I'll see if I can try it out without making the tether quite as tight.

If that doesn't work I really like the look of the new RSTV model, so mabe we'll save the small for little brother and check out the new one. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC