Question 05+ Chrysler Town & Country, OR 04+Toyota Sienna

perpetually

Pros/Cons?

I will have 3 kids, so I'm putting the 2 oldest in the 3rd row both in Regents, and the baby in the 2nd row captain chair in their keyfit and MA's when the time comes.

I like the idea of the Town & Country because of the stow 'n go feature. Just as a nice feature in case I need to bring someone else some where unexpectedly. My only con on this one would be it only has 3 TA's (both captain chairs and one kinda centered in the 3rd row) and with having 2 kids in the 3rd row in Regents??? I just don't know.

I like the idea of the Sienna because it has higher crash test ratings from what I can tell. That makes me lean more towards this one. I also like the back windows roll down instead of pop out. But I can't find how many tethers this one has?? And I hate the idea of having to "store" one of the captain chairs in the garage (but I could also get over this fact.)

I don't have much of an argument. I just don't know which one would be better.

My budget is also kinda "low". I don't want to spend more than about $8,000 on it. I'm hoping with choosing older models that the $8,000 will be sufficient??

ADS

skipspin

We're watching the minivan market as well.

I don't think you will find a Sienna (current body style, 03 or newer I think) for 8k unless there is something wrong with it. I will say that if you did find one you can always slide the captains shair to the center to have access to the back if you didn't want to store the seat in the garage.

You should be able to find a nice average to low mileage T&C or DodgeGC (same except trim) for between 6k and 8k that's an 05 or newer. AFAIK they only have one TA in the center back, though. I'm not as worried since my DD will probably be in a booster in the van, and my youngest will be RFing for quite a while yet, so I will only need one TA now and only two in the concieveable future.

HTH!

BigDaddy

I would not recommend using the Regents without a tether. In some cases it's allowed, but most of the time it is required. It is recommended to always tether them, regardless of whether it is "required" or not. TAs for the seating positions that the Regents will be in should be a big concern.

perpetually

Okay, but then how do I find out how many tethers the Sienna has? Or can they put another tether in the Chrysler? TIA.

I would not recommend using the Regents without a tether. In some cases it's allowed, but most of the time it is required. It is recommended to always tether them, regardless of whether it is "required" or not. TAs for the seating positions that the Regents will be in should be a big concern.

Maedze

Okay, but then how do I find out how many tethers the Sienna has? Or can they put another tether in the Chrysler? TIA.

The Toyota has a two tethers in the third row and the Town and Country has only one. There is no option to add more tethers to the Chrysler.

If you intend to put two harnessed kids in the third row, the Sienna is really your only viable option.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
There is no option to add more tethers to the Chrysler.

I'm pretty sure there is. I plan on having one installed by my dealership very soon. OP can check out this thread for more information
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=76281&highlight=town+country&page=2

You would have to call your own dealership and talk to someone about it. No one will know what you are talking about unless you present them with the part number (that's what I had to do) because I don't think it's a common thing that they deal with.

Maedze

I'm pretty sure there is. I plan on having one installed by my dealership very soon. OP can check out this thread for more information
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=76281&highlight=town+country&page=2

You would have to call your own dealership and talk to someone about it. No one will know what you are talking about unless you present them with the part number (that's what I had to do) because I don't think it's a common thing that they deal with.

No, this is incorrect. You cannot add tethers to a vehicle that all ready has installed anchors from the manufacturer. Genevieve, you probably have a vehicle that did not come with factory installed tethers, probably pre-2000.

If your vehicle is post 2000, your dealer has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Can't be done.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I don't have an older one, I have an '07. I've spoken with the dealer about this part specifically many times and have been assured it is okay to install and use as a tether anchor.

Maedze

There are no approved or manufacturered Chrysler tether anchors for a 2007 vehicle. They just don't exist. I'm not trying to be problematic :eek:

Whomever you're talking to is EXTREMELY confused, or is a bit of MacGyver, which could be very dangerous.

Again, there is NO approved tether-kit for a 2007 Chrysler vehicle. Whatever you're getting is aftermarket and not tested.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I know you're not being problematic! But now I'm very confused. Especially as a few of us have talked to our respective dealers about this part and have been told roughly the same thing. Hmmm.....I don't know if I should trust what they are saying, but I don't know who else to call about it besides the car manufacturer.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Oh wow, now I am even more confused. I called my dealer again and spoke with a guy who I had previously not spoken with before. I asked about the part number 05015403AA which is what other people with T&C have had installed as tether anchors. He did say it was listed as an additional child anchor for a durango. I asked if there was anything listed as an additional anchor for my T&C model year (07), fully expecting him to say no. Much to my surprise, he rattled off the part number of a child tether anchor meant for the 3rd row of a T&C from '02-08. I asked many times, in different ways, whether this was specifically an additional tether anchor and that it was authorized and endorsed by chrysler to address the issue of the lack of top tethers. He assured me that it was there in the parts directory, and that it was a tether anchor, and it DID specify T&C model years 02-08. I don't know what to think??!! I think I'll start a new post about this.

ETA: The part number I was given for my specific van was 05012007AB

BigDaddy

ETA: The part number I was given for my specific van was 05012007AB

I searched that number and found this thread, where someone got them installed:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=15869

I also found a document from Chrysler, showing that part number is for retrofitting an old durango. The Document shows kits for Caravans from 89-00, but nothing for Vans that came with any tethers installed from the factory.

It also says that tethers can't be used with children over 48lbs. :eek: :confused:

Maedze

I searched that number and found this thread, where someone got them installed:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=15869

I also found a document from Chrysler, showing that part number is for retrofitting an old durango. The Document shows kits for Caravans from 89-00, but nothing for Vans that came with any tethers installed from the factory.

It also says that tethers can't be used with children over 48lbs. :eek: :confused:

Chrysler has that requirement on their whole LATCH system. The unofficial advice is to always use a tether anchor regardless of weight.

If you're worried about it, though, you could also order an after-market heavy duty anchor.

BigDaddy

Chrysler has that requirement on their whole LATCH system. The unofficial advice is to always use a tether anchor regardless of weight.

If you're worried about it, though, you could also order an after-market heavy duty anchor.
I've always seen limits listed for latch, this is the first time that I can remember seeing a limit specified for the tether itself. It just surprised me, because you see car seat manuals telling you to tether for children up to 80 pounds with no mention to check the vehicle manufacturer's spec.

Pixels

We're starting to get a bit off-topic, but every vehicle that has weight limits for lower anchors has limits for the top tethers, and it's usually the same weight. One or two makes have a 40 pound lower limit and 48 upper limit.

The official recommendation is to always follow the requirements of both vehicle and carseat, which means there are very few vehicles that a Regent (for example) could be used in above 50 pounds in complete compliance with both carseat and vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

BigDaddy

The tether is part of the LATCH system ;)

On all vehicles pre-lower anchors, the top tether still has a weight limit.
lol, yeah I know that. I just thought it was strange that the manuals tell you to check the vehicle manual when you use the lower anchors (repetitively anytime LAs are mentioned), but make no mention of any limits when using the tether.

perpetually

Okay so wait... Now I'm even more confused. I just had the top tethers installed on my explorer and never got any kinda info on them (weight to stop using them, etc..)

So... should I NOT be worrying about the top tethers on the van since I'm not supposed to use them past 48 lbs anyway?

Or... should I still be leaning towards the Sienna for the top tethers and just go against what the manual says?? :scratcheshead:

I'm lost as to what I should be looking for, etc. If I don't need to worry about the top tethers, then I suppose I will go with the T&C, if I do I think I am going to go with the Sienna. I still prefer the Sienna anyway, I just don't have the extra $ to actually spend if I can avoid it as I've kinda priced them in this area, the Sienna's are about $4,000 + more than the T&C. :confused:

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I'll give you my perspective as I have a T&C and my best friend has a Sienna. I like my van. Don't love it, but it does the job I need and it was what we could afford. I love my friend's Sienna, but we couldn't afford them at the time we were buying.

I'm running into the issue of only having 1 tether anchor in the back and needing more. After a lot of communication with several different Chrysler dealerships and some members here, I'm fairly confident in saying they do have a tether anchor that can be installed in '02-'08 T&C's and it is approved/made for their vans.

It is my understanding that most cars have a LATCH limit, which would include the top tether as well. From the few times I've seen the topic come up, the techs have advised to use the top tether regardless of the weight of the child, but the lower anchor weight limits should and need to be followed. I don't know much more about the subject so maybe some techs can chime in about that and correct me if I am wrong.

My suggestion is that if you get the T&C, have the extra tether anchor added if you plan on having both regents in the back. I wouldn't feel comfortable using that large of a seat without one, but that's just me. I think there are instances where it is allowed without the use, but is always encouraged. Otherwise you can just go with the Sienna and not worry about the tether issue at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC