Help for a friend

baby1577

6 months ago a friend of mine got advice from another carseat forum, to get her 3 year old a Safety 1st Alpha Omega. She was showing me pictures last night of her kiddos, and I noticed he is too tall for it (by strap height). She is really frustrated, because she's a single mom and just busted her butt to buy the alpha omega. I told her I thought the Nauti was her best bet, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option. I'm not sure when/how she'll be able to get him into something new, but I'm trying to help! :eek:

Stats:

3.5yrs
~42lbs
~41''

ADS

amyd

The Nauti probably is her best bet at this point. If her back seat has headrests, though, an Apex 65 could work & is sometimes under $100.

christineka

Are you sure the headrest was in the highest useable position? If it was a 50 pound harnessed model, he's really tall.

Mommy2Marcus

Unless it is a newer model, then he has also outgrown it by weight as well. Also one other thing, if it IS the newer model, then the top harness slot is about 17 inches if I remember correctly. The best thing, if it is indeed a newer one, would be a Regent. The main reason I say that is b/c the top harness slots are around 19-20 on it & that will last him longer. It can be found for about the price of a Nautilus at this point. It should also get him to a good boostering age.

Has she applied for a seat from the Kyle David Miller Foundation? They should be able to help her if she really can not afford a new seat. However he really can not ride in the AOE if he has outgrown it as it just is NOT safe anymore. The only thing she can do is convert it to booster mode.

baby1577

She bought it 6 months ago, and was told to get the 50lb model. I'm not positive which she actually got, though.

I will suggest kyle miller to her. I guess she should put him in booster mode until then? :eek::confused:

Mommy2Marcus

She bought it 6 months ago, and was told to get the 50lb model. I'm not positive which she actually got, though.

I will suggest kyle miller to her. I guess she should put him in booster mode until then? :eek::confused:

Yes, unfortunatly, if he is over the top slots, then it will need to be used in booster mode untill she can get him a new seat. I am thinking if it is the 50lbs model, or even the 40lbs model, as it sounds as if she has the headrest all the way up then her best bet for him is the Regent.

I do hope that she can get him a new seat ASAP.

ETA: I see that you have a Regent for your 3.5 year old. Is there a chance that your 3.5 year old fits in the AOE she has? If so is there any chance you could trade with her long enough for her to save up for a new seat or to get a new seat from the KDMF? If your son fits in it in harnessed mode, then this would be a safe option for both of them. Just a thought.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC