Vent "well isn't LATCH safer?"

L

LuciaBella

This drives me crazy and is a vent/question!

Whenever I'm doing car seat checks and the parents have the car seat installed with latch in the center. When I explain to them that they actually cannot use latch in the center (99% of the time) they are shocked but then also say well then lets put the baby on the outboard. When I ask why, they say "well isn't latch safer?"

GRRRRRRRR NO ITS NOT SAFER! It's only safer if you suck at putting the car seat in with the seatbelt and can do it correctly with latch!!!

What do you tell the parents when they say that and WHERE do they hear this from!? Aren't we finding out that the seatbelt is actually safer because there is so much latch misuse and also the choking hazard with the unused seatbelts?!

sorry to vent but this drives me crazy and I encounter this multiple times each check!

ADS

christineka

I know my grocery store has little tvs at the check out line that show commercials. There is one that tell you latch is safest.

Not sure what you say as a tech because I'm not a tech.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, I'm pretty sure the seats installed with LATCH in the Transport Canada and FMVSS compliance data are performing slightly better than seatbelt installs. And early research by Ford found the LATCH to be superior. Which is why I'm extremely irked that the government doesn't buck up and require it to be in the center of vehicles, or car makers to go ahead and just put it there without being required to.
LATCH is designed for carseats, seatbelts are designed for people, it's not really a leap to think it's safer, IMO. Do I frequently use seatbelts to install carseats? Yup, without hesitation, if it installs well.

a_js

I don't really know if it's safer, having not done any reading on the topic, but it annoys me a heck of a lot less than a seatbelt install. Sadly, ds is 46 lbs so within shouting distance of the 48lb latch limit, and I am doing a seatbelt install and I'm mad about it :p :whistle:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ya,m the standard line used to be that neither was safer, iut was just whatever gave the best install, but some testing Has actually shown latch to perform a bit better.
BUT..you still can't use latch where none exists, so if there isn't a center latch, and borrowing isn't allowed, you have no coice. seat belt or outboard.

emandbri

TC's results aside aside from SO many parents using it in the middle I do think LATCH could be safer because more parents are able to get seats in right by themselves. I have been doing this for 10 years and the percentage of seats in right now is much greater then 10 years ago.

That said, assuming the fit is good, I prefer a middle seat belt over a latch ouboard.

It is also true that in some cars you can get a tighter install with a seat belt. I have latch in Elizabeth's spot but get a tighter install with a seat belt and locking clip.

Jonah Baby

I find it has a lot more to do with the carseat.
"Cheaper" seats, like my Evenflo Chase, or the harnessed boosters we've owned several of, do NOT install well enough with LATCH. Forget it, no way, just give in and use the belt or a different carseat.
Seats like the MyRide, however, install better with the LATCH in every vehicle I've used it in and you can get a lot more control over angle and such with the LATCH than with the belt.

I'd like to see Canada's testing compared to ours.

L

LuciaBella

Isn't it safer for a child to ride in the center with the seatbelt and tether than outboard using latch properly??

amyd

Isn't it safer for a child to ride in the center with the seatbelt and tether than outboard using latch properly??

Install being equal, yes. Some car centers are just not conducive to car seats IME, though. Cars with humps, shoulder belts that tip RFing seats, etc. Most parents want to use LATCH, in my experience. Many find it easier & feel more confident with it. As techs we know work around stuff, like tipping seats, with locking clips, etc, but unless a parent is adamant about a center install & willing to really learn how to do it right, I'm not comfortable leaving a parent with an install that they aren't confident in their ability to duplicate. Center may be safest, but not if the install isn't as secure as it could be outboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC