People want to pay me-accept or reject?

L

LuciaBella

I've done numerous checks for people and they want to pay me at the end. I don't feel very comfortable because this is my service to the community and I tell them they can donate to safe kids.

One of the families is planning for their friends to come over and I check the seats which I'm excited about! But they want to pay me!!
Should I just suck it up and take the money or insist on no?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In many states (I am not a lawyer, states are all different, blah blah blah), we are covered under Good Samaritan laws as long as we are acting within the scope of our certification, we follow standard practices, and we do not accept payment for services (because by accepting payment, we are no longer "good Samaritans"). I would not consider taking payment unless I had adequate liability insurance.

L

LuciaBella

OK wow I've never heard of the Good Samaritan law, but I'm in Washington state. I haven't accepted any money unless it was combined with babysitting. Good to know, I will tell people.

Mommy0608

Yep, accepting money is a liability concern.

I've had a few people offer to pay me as well, and I direct them to make a donation to the local Safe Kids group instead.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Me too. (Although a mom once came back and brought me a hot coffee and muffin on a very cold day. I gladly accepted that!)

L

LuciaBella

One parent wanted to give me a gift certificate...Christmas is right around the corner....but I said no thanks

dhardawa

Regardless of the good samaritan stuff (which is a GREAT reason to not accept money), I have a hard time taking money for simply sharing knowledge. I got my certification to help people and to keep babies safe, not to make money. Knowing a child came to me unsafe and is leaving safe and the feeling that gives me is worth way more than a few bucks. Taking money would cheapen that feeling for me.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If I had liability coverage and traveled to meet a parent at her convenience, I'd be okay accepting money for my time and trouble.

Pixels

Regardless of the good samaritan stuff (which is a GREAT reason to not accept money), I have a hard time taking money for simply sharing knowledge. I got my certification to help people and to keep babies safe, not to make money. Knowing a child came to me unsafe and is leaving safe and the feeling that gives me is worth way more than a few bucks. Taking money would cheapen that feeling for me.

Tell this to the parents. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC