anyone know if Maclaren recall is rumor or verified?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
BRU had green dots pasted on all the Mac boxes a couple weeks ago, I've never seen anything like that, but it makes sense. Well, it doesn't make sense, some of the Macs on our shelves are way older than 2009, and generally there's a 'stop sale' and everything gets pulled to the stockroom or returned to the mfr, so who knows why it's being handled this way (green dots prior to action).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
BRU had green dots pasted on all the Mac boxes a couple weeks ago, I've never seen anything like that, but it makes sense. Well, it doesn't make sense, some of the Macs on our shelves are way older than 2009, and generally there's a 'stop sale' and everything gets pulled to the stockroom or returned to the mfr, so who knows why it's being handled this way (green dots prior to action).

Maybe the green dots indicate that the hinge covers have been included? (Maybe not. No idea.)

We have two Macs, although we barely use strollers at all. If I need to use one before we get the hinge covers, I'll just be very careful when folding/unfolding. (I'm ASSuming that's what the issue is--someone let me know if it's something different.)

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Maclaren recall

From another site:

Maclaren recall!

Breaking news: Maclaren plans to recall 1 million strollers---all its production between 1999 and 2009---after receiving 12 reports of hinges on the stroller that amputated children's fingertips. The company will send out a cover for the hinges to all owners.

BABY BARGAINS has learned the CPSC and Maclaren will issue a press release in the recall this Tuesday; Maclaren began notifying its dealers of the recall in the past couple of days. We have seen the letter that went out to retailers last week and can confirm the details.

Here is the take-home message until the recall is official:

• Stop using all Maclaren strollers---yes, every model made since 1999.

• When the recall goes public on Tuesday, order a hinge cover from Maclaren's web site or phone line. (Note: the web site is not live yet as of this writing).

• Wait until you install the hinge cover before using the stroller again.

AtTheSouthDam

Am I the only one who thinks this recall is stupid?!

On page two of the owner's manual it says in bold print:
"IMPORTANT-DANGER: It is important that great care is taken to ensure that children are kept well clear of the stroller when folding or unfolding the product. Finger traps and scissoring actions are unavoidable during these operations."

So now I have a stroller that I can't resell (thanks to the recall and new law) because parents who apparently have the money to get an nice stroller can't read?!!

BTW, the maclaren site is down but just a moment ago it confirmed it was while folding/unfolding.

keri1292

I inagine you could sever a fingertip on any well-made metal framed stroller. It sounds like a few people had an accident. :twocents:

interesting. It's been about 4+ years since we turned our secondhand '01 Twin Traveller over to a social worker for one of her clients, so I can't remember ever feeling that there was a finger-trap hazard in my stroller, and I folded/unfolded that thing more times than I could count.

Calideedle

Here it doesn't say it is only folding & unfolding but maybe I am reading it wrong.

The hinge mechanism is located on the side of the strollers, and injury has occurred when children are getting into the strollers as well as when they're already seated in the strollers.

AtTheSouthDam

Here it doesn't say it is only folding & unfolding but maybe I am reading it wrong.

It's on the letter on Maclaren's website if you follow the CSPC link but the site is down (big surprise considering the number of strollers involved). They stated that it occurred during folding/unfolding specifically.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC