What happens to seats when they are returned?

abigaylebelle

I tried asking this in another post but maybe no one saw it? Anyway I was wondering if I return a seat will it be resold or will they have to trash it?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If it is defective, it will go back to the manufacturer.

If it is just a "changed my mind", and the seat has been used, the seat should be trashed, which passes the cost along to other consumers.

a_js

If it is defective, it will go back to the manufacturer.

If it is just a "changed my mind", the seat should be trashed, which passes the cost along to other consumers.

I'm guessing the second doesn't happen that often. I see "online returns" a lot at Target, for example.

abigaylebelle

Okay so we have had the xtsl for about 2 weeks, and ds rode in it but I haven't registered it yet or anything. I really would not want it to go to waste though so I will just keep it for later, put it in my mum's big car, or sell it to someone who will use it then.

Spam

I see returned seats for sale a lot. I know I've returned two different seats to two different stores, one had been used, one not and they both were just put back on the shelf for sale.

Mom2FiveGirls

I had no idea you could return a seat that had been used... That's kinda scary that they resell them not knowing what happened while it was being used.

amyd

I had no idea you could return a seat that had been used... That's kinda scary that they resell them not knowing what happened while it was being used.

Ditto. A lot of times, they don't even check, though. I returned a seat last week. It was purchased 4 months ago. The box had been opened, but the seat never used. I taped the box back up & returned it to the store. I know the seat was still in the plastic & had never been used, because it's been sitting in my basement, but the lady in customer service didn't know that. And she didn't even open the box to check!:eek: After 4 months! I could have stuck my old expired seat in the box & kept the new one & they would have just chucked it back on the shelf. I couldn't believe she didn't check!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
This actually happened to a member here when she purchased a Nautilus. :whistle:

LOL ,I dimly remember that. Wasn't it like an old bucket or something inthere?

Seats definitely get re-sold. There are posts from time to time about people buying seat that have crumbs on them and stuff, and you see them for sale in stores as returns.

3plus2isme

This is why I *only* buy seats from place that don't let you return! You never know what could've happened to the seat before you bought it. :thumbsdown:

MOM25BOYS

OP one option you have is that you could always pay a small fee to support the board and gain swap access.:) You could post if for sale in swap and have either local pickup or if you still have the original box you could offer to ship it at the buyers expense of course. ;) It's a cheap as $5 for 2mths or $10 for 6mths of access. Just another option to think about if you want to try to get some of your money back on it.:thumbsup:

abigaylebelle

OP one option you have is that you could always pay a small fee to support the board and gain swap access.:) You could post if for sale in swap and have either local pickup or if you still have the original box you could offer to ship it at the buyers expense of course. ;) It's a cheap as $5 for 2mths or $10 for 6mths of access. Just another option to think about if you want to try to get some of your money back on it.:thumbsup:

That's a good idea. I will do that if I can't find an appropriate place for the xtsl in another vehicle. I have a 18 month old ss1 I need to move along too...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We take back stuff at BRU and it's hit or miss if we check the box for the proper product. A seat with spitup on the straps had to be returned to Graco, but the bases that went with it are for sale on the floor, with no boxes.
So far no one's ever shoved a nasty old seat into a box to return it, but it'll happen someday, I'm sure :thumbsdown:
Anyway, that's one reason I'm happy we have a 'try it in your car before buying it' policy there. Wish we carried Radians, since those are so finicky.

a_js

I edited my post -- I meant if the seat has been used, it should be trashed.

That's what I thought, I didn't mean to be nitpicky. :) Sorry.

I'm conflicted on this issue; on the one hand, I really like return policies that let you return the seat if it doesn't work for you. On the other, I'm not sure I want a seat that someone else has returned. :confused:

Lea_Ontario

We take back stuff at BRU and it's hit or miss if we check the box for the proper product. A seat with spitup on the straps had to be returned to Graco, but the bases that went with it are for sale on the floor, with no boxes.
So far no one's ever shoved a nasty old seat into a box to return it, but it'll happen someday, I'm sure :thumbsdown:
Anyway, that's one reason I'm happy we have a 'try it in your car before buying it' policy there. Wish we carried Radians, since those are so finicky.

They have, FINALLY, started only taking a car-seat as a return if it still has it's warranty tag ATTACHED to it (and all packaging, other tags, etc).

It's not a guarantee it's not been used, but it's a step up from the 45-days-take-it-back-we-don't-ask-questions way they used to do it.

Lea_Ontario

Oh, that IS nice. I wish we'd get that policy!

We had one returned that had been in a collision - got the return completely done, and one of the parents (I can't remember which, now) stopped JUST before leaving and looked over their shoulder saying "Don't sell it - it's been in an accident", then left.

Okay - not sure it's true, but that's what was being said in the breakroom, and the tags policy came in shortly after.

my3girls

I work at the service desk at Walmart. The policy we have at our store, not sure if it's every store, I can try to find out, is:
THESE ITEMS RETURNED TO THE STORE ARE DEFECTIVE AND MUST BE SENT BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER:

carseats
underwear/swimsuits
food including candy, formula, etc
medicine

Other stuff you just have to use common sense, but it does NOT matter if the pkg looks like it hasn't been used, it still goes back to them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC