Frontier or Nautilus?

ateammom

I'm still undecided on what seat to get with the new bean coming next month, and I'm sure you guys would love for me to make a decision so I'll stop asking you questions, teeheehee.:rolleyes:

I still haven't ruled out buying a coccoro or MA for the baby, although I have decided against the TF. I keep trying to like it, but I just don't.

So someone on another thread brought up the idea of moving Ava to a harness/booster and using the radian 80 and MA that we currently have (MA in my car and R80 in DH's car) for the baby. She's hesitant to give up her yellow seat (ashley floral), but she likes the idea of a cup holder. She's currently 32 lbs and FFing in her MA at 3 1/2 yrs old. I like the idea of buying one seat that will last her until she's ready to ditch seats completely, and it would be great to be able to pass the other seats down to the new bean instead of having to buy more seats later on.

Nauti or Frontier, or something else?

ADS

Ali

We have both the Frontier and Nautilus and I prefer the GN. It is easier to install, the straps aren't as twisty (although I've read that the new Frontiers have better straps) and it feels more solid to me.

ateammom

Wow, that's exactly opposite of what I would have thought! Will one last longer than the other?

MIL bought one for her car for when they have the kids, and although I put it in the car, I didn't really play with it at all. They live too far away to play with it now. I wasn't even considering it at the time. :(

Will one last longer than the other? The 9 year expiration is appealing to me since I'm having a new bean.

Do they recline at all?

BigDaddy

Both are really good seats. In my opinion, your best move would be to go to a nearby retailer (Babies R Us, for example) and try them. Find out which fits her better, and which gives you the best installation. Each seat has different characteristics, in some vehicles the Nautilus will fit taller children, and in others the Frontier may fit taller children.

Personally, I love the frontier, it works beautifully for us, however, it can be difficult to install in some vehicles.

At your Ava's size, there are many seats that will accommodate her rear facing. Would that be something that you'd be willing to consider?

ETA: Are you looking to buy her two seats (one for each vehicle) or are you going to be moving it back and forth?

ateammom

Honestly, I'd rather keep her ffing. We're all much happier in the car with her FFing, and I did keep her ERFing until she was over 3 years.

We have a Sienna, if that makes any difference.

I showed her the black/pink frontier, and she was ok with that one, but I also like the mariposa Nautilus. I can only find the mariposa for $179, but I found the Frontier for $185.

ateammom

Right now I'm just looking for one seat. We will have either the MA or R80 in the other car as a back up.

I don't HAVE to have a new seat for her right now; I'm trying to decide if it would be more economical to buy a new seat for the new bean or a new one for Ava.

BigDaddy

I just did some looking around, and it looks like either seat will install fine in the Sienna, but you'll want to check and see which installs best for you.

If cost is going to be an issue... the two seats you have will last you a long time. You can leave Ava in the Marathon, and put baby in the Radian until baby will fit the Marathon and then switch. After seeing how things work out, you could then weigh your options later on, and see which way you want to go. That is, unless you're just wanting to get a new seat.

ateammom

I was thinking about waiting, but I don't want to miss the traveling tikes sale on the frontier if that's the way we go. Other than that, I'm really in no rush.

ETA: Thanks for researching the install for me. :)

Evolily

I really like the nautilus all around. It will give you a little bit longer harnessed than the frontier. It has a recline function, but really it's more there to deal with install issues (like the difficult and long latchplates/belt stalks in my moms car :) ) and it doesn't really recline it *that* much.

Good luck!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Big daddy gave great advice. You can ask 10 people here which they prefer, nauti or frontier, and it's probably split 50/50.
What is going to work best for YOU is going to depend on what you personally like. For example, as I'm sure you know, many, many pople LOVE the truefit. But, it's apparenly not for you, and that's fine.
As far taking advantage of the sale, don't sweat it. there will be another. It used to be that you could only get a gerat deal on a britax somewhat rarely, but they seem to have sales ALL the time now....so keep what you've got until you actually need a new seat, and there will surely be another "best deal ever" going on at that time, LOL!!!!!

Personally, I have both a nauti and a frontier and we love our nauti to no end. I regret heartily saving and scrimping all my money on a frontier that dd refuses to sit in because she hates it. BUT...beacuse of the awesome 9 year expiration, we are keeping it around because in booster mode, I think it will work well for us, especially with the slide guard clip becoming an option, and downthe line, it's possible ds WON'T hate it and will be fine using it once he is FFing. Also, the nauti gives us significantly higher slots. This varies from vehicle to vehicle, but for us, we get a lot more harness out of the nauti.

firemomof3

I also have both the Frontier and Nautilus. The Nautilus is sooooo much easier to install but my dd2 has head slump when she sleeps. The Frontier is much trickier to install but my kids sleep much better & more comfortably. We are currently using the Frontier in booster mode and its great.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
So someone on another thread brought up the idea of moving Ava to a harness/booster and using the radian 80 and MA that we currently have (MA in my car and R80 in DH's car) for the baby.

A Radian will work for a newborn, but a Marathon won't.

ateammom

Yes, I got the Radian 80 for that very reason. I knew we were preggers and we needed to get 3 across in a Durango. If I end up using the RN and MA for the baby, she'll be in the RN until she can fit in the MA, and then she'll go in the MA. I just went to test the RN RFing in the Sienna, and I hate how much room it takes up. Hopefully I won't have to use it for long.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC