Apparently I don't have enough boosters

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
ARGH!

My dad just came by to pick up the kids. He didn't have the booster seat for my youngest (9 but very small for her age.) They have two, but he'd left them both in the garage. He tried to talk me into letting her go without "just for the ride to our house, it's only five minutes, I'll use the booster when I bring her back."

So I checked her fit, because it's the back seat of a truck and they are sometimes a surprisingly good fit even for very small children. NO freaking way - the lap belt wasn't anywhere near her hips. I told my dad I didn't waste my time making sure she was safe for every other ride just to have her die from seatbelt syndrome "just this once" and ran to get Fighter's Recaro Start. Which is just *so much fun* to install, what with the required top tether and threading the seat belt through the locking guide.

Because the other two boosters I have were with dh, in his car, at church. :rolleyes:

So now I'm going to have to pick up a Turbo next time I'm at WM. Because obviously three boosters and a Husky aren't enough. :hitselfonhead:

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
When I end up short on boosters I find myself over at Big Lots buying up however many $11 Cosco Highrises they have on hand. That way I have a couple spares and I don't feel too terribly guilty when I end up giving it away.

Defrost

When I end up short on boosters I find myself over at Big Lots buying up however many $11 Cosco Highrises they have on hand. That way I have a couple spares and I don't feel too terribly guilty when I end up giving it away.

LOL - I'll have to see about this, because that's exactly what happened to my extras. At one point I owned five TBs, and only two of them were for daily use. I just kept giving them away to needy friends or trading them to co-workers in exchange for their expired seats.

Defrost

*beats head against wall*

They showed up to drop the kids off with Thomas in the front seat in the center lap-only belt. I have asked them and asked them not to do this, that I'll just come get them, but my mom will decide at the last minute to tag along and then there's six of them in the truck, and she "forgets."

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:crying::jaw::doh::hitselfonhead:

Random smilies to express my utter disbelief of the ultimate outcome here...

Maybe you need to put the 86Y in there for them?

Defrost

Maybe you need to put the 86Y in there for them?

If I thought they'd actually use it, I would, but they'd just find other excuses. They'd show up in the car instead of the truck (exact same problem - seats six but the front center is lap-only) or they'd take the harness out while cleaning and forget to put it back in.

The trouble is they just don't see the point for a "five minute ride." Never mind the fact that the speed limit is 35mph and it's actually closer to ten minutes and six miles. They think as long as everyone is wearing seat belts that's enough. :thumbsdown:

I know I should just refuse to let my kids ride with them, but none of this is ever planned. I can let them leave with my Dad and the plan is that Dad alone will bring them back at 3pm, only to have them decide to take the kids out to McD's for supper and show up at 6pm with Mom in tow. And no matter how many times I tell them not to, they "forget." :mad:

Pixels

Maybe it's time to train all your kids (they're all old enough) to raise a big stink and everyone get out of the truck if they want to put anyone in the lap-only center belt. It's kinda hard to have 6 in the truck if 4 get out. :p

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I know Debbie's parents. I love them, they are fantastic people. Seriously. Awesome, wonderful, loving, amazing parents and grandparents.

Unfortunately they fall into that group of people who are from a different generation and they really don't see the big deal, and they never will.

If they really, truly thought that they were doing something wrong, they'd stop, but they really don't understand what the big deal is here.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Maybe it's time to train all your kids (they're all old enough) to raise a big stink and everyone get out of the truck if they want to put anyone in the lap-only center belt. It's kinda hard to have 6 in the truck if 4 get out. :p

I second this. Your kids are plenty old enough to advocate for themselves in this situation. I know it's hard for to balance teaching a child to say no to an adult making a bad choice, and teaching a child to respect their elders, but there is nothing disrespectful in a child saying "My mom will have kittens if I ride like this, can we please call her or take two cars so I don't have to deal with it?"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC