Question Does KIA have a policy about seats touching or bracing on the front seats?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You'd think I know this, but it isn't usually an issue, I am extermely short and have the drivers seat up ALL the way when I drive, so the RFing seat behind me doesn't touch my drivers seat. But dh pushed it back and so i tried to look it up in my manual and couldnt find anything about whether it was allowed or not. Anyone?

ADS

Evolily

look up the type of airbags you have. When bracing is prohibited it's often because of the airbags (I can't for the life of me think of the name of the type of airbags, but it's where the sensor calibrates the airbag based on the passengers weight)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yes,. i do have the airbags which sense the passengers weight and turn themselves off if the persona doesn't weigh enough. Which is why I was suspicious. But I swear, the manual did not say anything about it one way or another.

Evolily

Are the sensors in the drivers seat? I was under the impression (could be wrong) that the drivers seat often doesn't have them as children don't sit there?

I would go by if you have sensors or not if the manual says nothing :(

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Are the sensors in the drivers seat? I was under the impression (could be wrong) that the drivers seat often doesn't have them as children don't sit there?

I would go by if you have sensors or not if the manual says nothing :(

D'oh!
Of course, lol.
The passenger seat has the sensors.
i think the drivers seat has them also, but not the same..since obviously, there is ALWAYS someone in the drivers seat, and never a child,LOL!

I can be so obtuse.

nmb

-Wait, are you guys saying it's not ok, even though there is nothing in the manual? I drive a Kia Rondo, w/ "advanced" airbags - that sense weight in the passenger seat. I have DS's Radian touching the back of the passenger seat.....and sometimes braced against it, if someone rides there, I'll push the seat back a notch....usually though if it's just DH & I, whoever isn't driving sits in the back seat.
I figured since it wasn't prohibited in the vehicle manual, and is allowed by SK, that it was ok?
If not - is it better to fold the passenger seat forward when it isn't being used....wouldn't be locked in place, not sure how that would act in a crash.
Otherwise I'd probably have to turn him FF but I'd rather not....
??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC