What comes next?

L

LuciaBella

Lukas is almost 15 months, weighs 27lbs, and has a long torso. He has already grown out the Maxi Cosi Priori RF, and is in the top slots for FF. They had to turn him around.

What should they get next? The car is a VW Tiguan which is pretty small in the backseat. Parents don't really want to RF him because he was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and they want to be able to see him for health reasons (if he turns pale, then they need to pull over and attend to him).

So...what car seat should they get? I was thinking the graco naulitus elite? Any other combinations seats that are good?

Thanks!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
:standard list of reasons of why a 27# 15mo should not be FFing:

Why do the parents want the "elite" Nautilus? (Is that even available anywhere?)

L

LuciaBella

Put him rear facing, and use a RF mirror :whistle:

yes...that's what I said too!! get a mirror, put it on the outboard position, and voile!

What are good seats that have a higher shell than the Priori but can fit in a small SUV like the tiguan?

L

LuciaBella

:standard list of reasons of why a 27# 15mo should not be FFing:

Why do the parents want the "elite" Nautilus? (Is that even available anywhere?)

I just put elite, I don't know why, but I showed them the regular Nauti and the dad seemed interested.

Jonah Baby

I would ask them if their child had been diagnosed at birth would he have been forward facing this whole time?

I think the best solution is a mirror. There are a few "soft" mirrors that are inexpensive and found at common stores.
The MyRide is shorter shelled. If he continues to remain very tall, he could still get to at least 2, maybe 2 1/2 rear facing in said seat.
This seat is the same price as a Nautilus normally, often on sale cheaper.

Kat_Momof3

I'd try the truefit... it sits nice and low and will last a good long time... should work well with a mirror.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Anything will fit. At 15 months he doesn't need a 45 degree angle. I'd probably look at the True Fit, My Ride, Radians (though this may be toughest, but with a VW it may work. I've had our Radian rear facing behind the passenger in our Audi A4, which doesn't have a big backseat), and Complete Air.

And definitely a mirror. I like the Safefit big one. It's 10 ounces and attaches fairly securely.

Wendy

L

LuciaBella

Ok I sent the parents this thread so they could see who said what. Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC