Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

RF height limit on Evenflo Symphony

Should we go by the height of the headrest or the height of the carseat shell?

I saw a friend's pic on her FB and her dd's head is already leveled with the headrest but I don't know if I should tell her to move the headrest up or if she should turn her around. She is over 2 yrs. old already so not an infant.
    Single mom to:

12 yr. old in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, 6 yr. old in a Graco Nautilus and occasionally in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, and a surprise IUD baby coming June of 2013

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: RF height limit on Evenflo Symphony

She can continue to keep her child rear facing as long as he is under 35 pounds and he has 1" of clearance on the head rest. So she can raise the head rest and continue to rear face

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    She can continue to keep her child rear facing as long as he is under 35 pounds and he has 1" of clearance on the head rest. So she can raise the head rest and continue to rear face
    Woohoo, thanks
    Single mom to:

12 yr. old in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, 6 yr. old in a Graco Nautilus and occasionally in a Sunshine Kids Monterey, and a surprise IUD baby coming June of 2013

Evenflo requires that the headrest on the Symphony be in the lowest position for rear-facing unfortunately so the seat is outgrown RF.

http://www.evenflo.com/sme_carseats.aspx?id=395 (see section 2, second checkmark)
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxeye View Post
    Evenflo requires that the headrest on the Symphony be in the lowest position for rear-facing unfortunately so the seat is outgrown RF.

http://www.evenflo.com/sme_carseats.aspx?id=395 (see section 2, second checkmark)

HOWEVER, I believe people have been told by Evenflo that they *can* raise the headrest RF. I was going to call about it, but Kira's not that tall yet, so it's not an issue for me.

EVENFLO
    US: 1-800-233-5921
    Canada: 1-937-773-3971
    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
    Eastern Standard Time
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Advocate

I'm pretty sure that last year Evenflo clarified that the head rest can be raised for rear facing. I thought it was reflected in the current manual. Sigh.

I guess I should tell her to read the manual and call Evenflo just to be on the safe side.
    Single mom to:

She checked the manual and it says that the top of her head has to be an inch below the top of the headrest on the lowest position. I told her to call Evenflo tomorrow anyways just in case they changed the rules.
    She lowered the headrest again and took out the body pillow. She will take another pic tomorrow to see if without it she is still an inch below. If not, she will have to go ff.
    Single mom to:

She gave me permission to post this pics. Do you think it looks ok? She took the body pillow out and lowered the headrest to the lowest setting.

Single mom to:

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

She has plenty of room. The red handle at the top of the headrest is more than an inch tall and she is not even even with that.

The Evenflo engineer I spoke to said that you may move the headrest up if needed for rfing. The CS rep I spoke to was clueless, so when she calls CS, have her ask for the question to be confirmed by the engineer.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

12. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    She has plenty of room. The red handle at the top of the headrest is more than an inch tall and she is not even even with that.
    I agree. Next time she wonders, tell her to bring a ruler or measuring tape out with her. She can wedge it down behind her DD's head, and it will be obvious how much room there is when she stands back.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Technician

I won this seat on Facebook and have been playing with it in the rotation for the past couple of weeks.

My understanding is that the headrest can be in lowest 2 positions (so all the way down, and 1 click up) for rear facing. Can it go any higher?
    --Torey
    CPST-I and Mom to Gup (4/16/07) FF Symphony 65, Frontier 80 and Scenera, and Beta (4/10/09) RF SS1, BV 65 and Scenera