If you saw someone buying a turbo booster for a ...

Would you say something?

• Yes, I would no doubt.

Votes: 57 44.5%
  • I would think about it.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • No, I would not say anything.

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • clicky box

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters

emandbri

26 lbs 2 year old would you say something? For the sake of the poll you know for sure they are buying it for this child not an older one. Let's say you heard them say "are you excited about your new seat?"

ADS

Evolily

I might. Say something like "Oh- you know, that seats meant for older children? Maybe you should look at this one (gesturing towards evenflo chase)". OTOH, in some circumstances where I felt the parent just didn't care, and probably would not use the seat correctly ANYWAY, I might keep my mouth shut (because, at least a child restrained with a seatbelt is restrained vs. a child restrained in a grossly improperly used harness seat).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What I would do (and have done) is this:

"Hi. I don't work here or anything, but I'm a car seat technician, so if you have any questions about the seats, let me know."

Doing that is totally non-confrontational and puts the ball in their court.

Sometimes they just smile and nod. Other times they say, "Oh, is this seat a good choice for him?" and it opens up a dialogue.

It's my job to provide information to people who want it. It's not my job to save the world.

MANDY1234

ummm kinda ;) I always have one of my older kids with me so I would probley have a "talk" with my child about car seats lol

NannyMom

"Hi. I don't work here or anything, but I'm a car seat technician, so if you have any questions about the seats, let me know."

Sometimes they just smile and nod. Other times they say, "Oh, is this seat a good choice for him?" and it opens up a dialogue.

It's my job to provide information to people who want it. It's not my job to save the world.

That's what I do.

I work with someone that would absolutely say something, and insist the child be rear facing. She will nearly go off on them too. She's been around a long time, and um... doesn't care about offending people. She knows she's helped save lives (she's had parents come back to her with the crash stores), so she doesn't care. Apparently she used to wait in parking lots, but doesn't have time for that anymore.

Maedze

That's what I do.

I work with someone that would absolutely say something, and insist the child be rear facing. She will nearly go off on them too. She's been around a long time, and um... doesn't care about offending people. She knows she's helped save lives (she's had parents come back to her with the crash stores), so she doesn't care. Apparently she used to wait in parking lots, but doesn't have time for that anymore.

Um. Well. That's a little scary.

To answer the original question, no I would not say a danged thing unless they were chatting with me to begin with. It is not my job to save people. It's my job to help people who want it.

I HAVE had some positive car seat encounters in retail stores, but they were incidental within a larger, "Oh HAI! Kidz, you haz dem!" conversations that you sometimes get into with other moms.

AtTheSouthDam

I clicked say something but it usually directed to my kids. I would (and have) pointed a similar booster and asked Ciara if that was safe for little kids like her or something along those lines so they can hear her enthused no :) We are usually putting her in the five points at the time anyway since if I'm around the car seats I am usualy playing with them.

beebear23

Senior Community Member

That is exactly what I do. Or "I'm a car seat tech. Can I offer a bit of advice?" and see what they say. Most people I've talked to have been pretty receptive.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

This, this, and this.

hsjwmom

I have approached a mom before and it turned out that her daughter was older than she looked, just very petite. The mom was super sweet about it and said that she knows her daughter would sit properly, too. I think it went ok because I talked about my girls and how wiggly my older one was, etc. For me, though, it was an eye opener. I realized that it really isn't any of my business and that as the parent, that mom had every right to put her dd in a booster. Even if she WASN'T old enough/mature enough.

Now for the reason I chose "no" on the poll. I saw a woman with her mom and two kids buy a booster for a little boy who looked to be 2-3. I'm fairly certain it was for him, as she had him trying it out in the isle. I didn't say anything. I'm not a tech and as much as it horrified me, I wasn't asked my opinion. I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of sticking my nose in other people's business. Do I notice? Yes! And fume about it and talk to my kids about it. Do I say anything to the people? No. Not anymore.

TheNimpsGirl

It depends on the situation. I see it every week at my work and I decide to say or not say anything based on my instinct of how I think the parent will react. Most of the time I just ask if I can answer any questions they may have about any of the seats or if I can help them with the fit of a seat for their child (if the child is with them). Most parents don't have any questions and are actually very defensive about help.

I've had some parents who were very receptive (one mom two years ago was told by her DD's ped to pick up a HBB for her 18 month old because she weighed 38lbs but mom said that made her nervous and sounded unsafe; she bought an EFTA that day w/ my help) and some parents who basically tell me off and tell me to mind my own business (one guy told me he didn't care if RFing his 12 month old was safer than FFing, it was the law so clearly it is safe and I just am making ERFing up). In the end, I have to accept sometimes that people will buy what they want to buy.

Mom2FiveGirls

I wouldn't, but if my older girls were with me, they might... :)

When I was buying turbo boosters for my older girls (7 and 8), I had my younger girls (4 and 2) with me (the 3 big girls were in school). The whole time we were shopping and checking out, I was talking to the little girls about how awesome their new seats were going to be, etc. (We hadn't gotten their seats yet, but were planning to in the near future and they were excited about them). You just never know the whole situation. Of course if someone had thought I was buying the boosters for my younger girls and said something to me (in a tactful way), I wouldn't have been offended or anything like that. I wish someone had seen me buying a backless booster for my small 5 year old (well, she was actually 4 at the time) and told me how much safer she would be to stay in a harnessed seat... I honestly just didn't have a clue until recently.

a_js

Um. Well. That's a little scary.

To answer the original question, no I would not say a danged thing unless they were chatting with me to begin with. It is not my job to save people. It's my job to help people who want it. .

That.

Not that I am a tech, but I do know enough not to put a 26 month old in a booster. However, giving unsolicited advice is not my cup of tea. I think when a message is too aggressively delivered, the person naturally fights it. And waiting in parking lots.. really? I can see leaving a brochure on a windshield wiper, but I sure wouldn't put my name on it.

babygirlsmom1005

I would have to say I would have to think about it. The last time I said something, it was a dad that was looking to buy a turbo booster for his 3 year old, he looked extremly confused and I offered my help....he ended up leaving with a GN for her :thumbsup:. My husband, daughter, son and neice were all with me, the look on his face when I started talking to him was sort of a relief that someone was there to help.

I think it depends on a case by case bases......

Anne

This. I actually say this almost any time I see someone on the car seat aisle looking even just the tiniest bit lost or confused lol. I go out of my way to peek down the car seat aisle in hopes of finding someone to say this to, actually. I've only had one person who didn't want my help. Of course, that's where the 'almost' comes in, if they don't look too nice, look rushed, or seem to know exactly what they're looking for, I keep my mouth shut.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Blondie87 and I were at BRU. We were looking at the nautlius, and someone came over with a maybe 1 year old. I said, oh, no, that seat isn't for her. She needs to be rear facing. The went and looked at convertibles!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC