RF Tether - It's okay, right?

Valentine

RF MA installed in 04 Impala with center LATCH. Child is 27 months, 27-28 lbs and 34 inches. It's tethered to front passenger buckle stalk. Couldn't access the seat track even with a credit card. Britax allows it, right?

The buckle stalk is rigid and it's buckled every time. But the anchor is bolted onto the seat frame itself, above where it attaches to the track. Passenger seat's never moved. Is it still okay to use the anchor even though it's not attached directly to the floor?

Last edited:
ADS

Valentine

tether001.jpg

tether003.jpg

tether004.jpg

Last edited:

Maedze

I have no idea if it would fail, just that Britax has specified that it can only be tethered to an unused seatbelt stalk.

Valentine

Ahh, that makes quite a difference. Thank you! I'm so glad I asked before saying anything at class!

Going out for the night but I'll check back later.

jess71903

Ambassador
Just to ease your mind a little- when they started using ours cars in my tech class, they either asked us to uninstall our seats and stow them in the trunk, or they went out and did it for us. Our personal seats were not used for anything at all.

simplychels

Just to ease your mind a little- when they started using ours cars in my tech class, they either asked us to uninstall our seats and stow them in the trunk, or they went out and did it for us. Our personal seats were not used for anything at all.

and on the flip side I was asked to keep mine installed :) though I was not worried as I knew everything was right. They had also checked it prior to letting the techs to be go out and look over all the seats to find wrong installations. It was almost as if mine was used as the trick seat to see if anybody was willing to say "this is a good install, nothing wrong here".

NannyMom

We left our seats as we had them in our cars, and never touched them. We just worked around them (and most in the class didn't have any seats in their cars). Except.... when 1 student started taking out my Ashley Floral MA because he thought it was the Monet TF, and we'd been instructed to go get all the seats (after we'd installed them in cars).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have no idea if it would fail, just that Britax has specified that it can only be tethered to an unused seatbelt stalk.

Not doubting you, but can you cite where/when Britax has said that?

I've heard differing opinions on whether or not belt stalks are ok. I don't think I've ever RF tethered to a belt stalk just because I've never heard a definitive answer.

OP, in your case, I don't understand why it matters if the seatbelt is buckled or not. Does it change the angle of the buckle or something?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
UH OH...my center installed DC is tethered to the driver seat belt stalk...which is obviously used, each and every time. I've never seen anything that stated you can't tether to this...it's not addressed in the manual as far as I know. I would also like to see where Britax has addressed this and prohibited it as it's the only option in that seating position....and I will not have an untethered rf'ing seat.

simplychels

Not doubting you, but can you cite where/when Britax has said that?

I've heard differing opinions on whether or not belt stalks are ok. I don't think I've ever RF tethered to a belt stalk just because I've never heard a definitive answer.

OP, in your case, I don't understand why it matters if the seatbelt is buckled or not. Does it change the angle of the buckle or something?

maybe because on impact the seatbelt retractor would lock making it so the belt stalk would not move, but if you didnt have the seatbelt buckled, in a crash the stalk might be pulled along with the tether rendering tethering it there useless?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
OK, my manual specifically says to use a seat belt anchor. It says nothing about removing it if it's an occuppied seat.

WhatAboutPuppy

Ok, the actually UNinstalled my RF BLVD CS for the specific reason they didn't want people asking about it cuz it's not common and didn't want to confuse the students. But they didn't do it soon enough and a few people saw it and because they didn't want to bring it up in class a bunch of people asked me and it was annoying and I really wish they'd been on top of it or even better, educate the class about RF tethering fully and completely!! I mean, yeah it was a low income area but who cares, Britax is sold as most stores!!

Maedze

I'm pretty sure it was an ex-manual clarification and it was discussed here a few years back, if anyone wants to dig...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty sure it was an ex-manual clarification and it was discussed here a few years back, if anyone wants to dig...

Well since it's been a few years, and since it's addressed and approved by Britax in current manuals to tether to a seat belt stalk with no regard to whether or not the seat is occupied, I'm going to leave mine tethered to where it is, as per the manual, it's approved. I also looked up a brand spankin new seat to see if it was changed in the manual, and it was not. It still says you can use the seat belt stalk to create an anchor point with no mention of the seat being occupied.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC