Minor Car Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I just wanted to get some opinions on my situation.

Back in late November I was out shopping with Ben one Sunday night. On the way home I rear ended someone. We were both stopped at the red light and I thought she started moving because the light changed... so I hit the gas. The light hadn't changed and I bumped her. Literally just bumped her.

The woman was fine,she kept saying that it "wasn't her car"... well it turned out is was her husband's car. Anyway, we pulled over into the parking lot near WF and waited for the cops. There was NO DAMAGE to my car at all and maybe 6-8 hairline scratches to her back bumper. Ben was fine, she was fine, I was fine. No airbags... it really was a non event and the cop even said so.

She seemed hyper about getting the scratches fixed for "when they sell the car." So I made sure that I called the insurance company the very next day and reported everything. I haven't heard anything since and was actually thinking of calling to see what the status was.

Yesterday I get a letter in the mail from a lawyer:

"Please be advised that we represent the above named individual in a claim for personal injuries which occurred on the above-mentioned date.

From the facts in our possession, it appears that you are legally responsible for this occurance, and accordingly, we suggest that you refer this letter to your liability carrier for whatever action they may deem appropriate."

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHH

I can't see how this woman got hurt ...I couldn't have been going more that 4-5 mph when I bumped her. Ben's diaper bag didn't even fall off the front seat of my car.

When I spoke w/ my adjuster, he was FLOORED that I got this letter.

Back when I reported the incident he said that it sounded like there wasn't any damage to any vehicle...and even said that the small scratches that we saw may or may not have been caused by my car.

When I spoke w/ him after receiving the letter from the lawyer, he told me that he had spoke w/ them on two different occasions and both times there were NO injuries. Seems they were iffy on who they were going to go through for the "repairs" on their car..their insurance company or mine. My adjuster has repeatedly called and left messages (the incident was on 11/26 so this has gone on for a bit now) and they have yet to call back. He also said that noone from the insurance company has seen the "damage" to the car as of yet to determine if there was anything to fix (because they haven't made a decision yet).

Since the other party got lawyers involved my "accident" (insurance using this term not me) has been transferred to a higher level adjuster who works w/ personal injury. She just called me (they want to take pictures of my bumper) and repeated a lot of what the first adjuster said... about the other party not returning calls or making any claims to fix their car's "damage."

We all have a bit more knowledge regarding crash forces here... what do you all think of this situation? Is there a possibility this woman could really be hurt? I really can't figure how she could but would appreciate all your opinions on the situation.

THANKS!

ADS

Kellyr2

i very very very seriously doubt it. but i'm certainly no expert in the crash forces deal. I've had faster rear ends than that though, with no injuries whatsoever. it sounds like you barely rolled into her. I just don't see that causing an injury.

Splash

Of course she's not hurt. But lawyers read the police logs, then get a copy of the accident report, then mass mail the 'victim' to get them 'compensation' for their 'injuries.' It's how "personal injury" law works, and every one of those lawyers should be stabbed with a hot poker.
Most likely, your insurance company is going to pay up, because that's what they do. The woman will get a few thousand, and her lawyer will get 3 times that, and she will have sold her soul to buy a new pair of shoes and a movie ticket.
Sorry that you're in this situation. Greedy and immature people make this situation happen each and every day though :(

Lea_Ontario

I'd say I'd be about 95 % sure she is not hurt. But it doesn't take much to create a whiplash injury, so it is *possible* that she is. Likely, no. But possible.

Do you have a copy of the police report ? Any photos from the accident scene with date stamps on them ? Anything to back up your side ? Witness statements ?

lovinwaves

My only advice to you is to write down everything right now while it is still somewhat fresh in your head.

My parents got sued because a guy fell in their business parking lot. The trial wasn't until 2 years later :eek: Who remembers details in two years???
So, it is important to write down all the info and anything details you can remember now, that way you can reference back to it if a trial ensues later on.

beeman

Funny, loninwaves statement had something to do with what I was going to say. I was going to say tell the lady to (how do I put this nicely? :confused: ) go away, and not to sue you for slipping on her sidewalk the following week. I have a friend who got rear ended this fall. He had his flat deck trailer hooked up, so that would of helped absorb the shock. He got hit by the same guy twice! at two seperate intersections (at about 5-10mph). He didn't have a scratch or any injury (and he never wears his seat belt :mad: ). She's most likely trying to pull a fast one on you. Good luck with this one :cool: !

msantiago3

It sure seems to me that she is trying to pull a fast one on you. I recently got rear ended and there was no damage to either car except a few scrathes to my car from her license plate, but I was injured by the little force that threw me forward and the car seat belt cut into my skin. On the other hand I am pregnant and my belly is so big that I cant tuck the seat belt under the belly it just rests at the lower part and when the seat belt tightened and I shifted foward it cut right into me. Personally I would tell her to go away and try this little injury sob story to someone else. I mean come on, Im pregnant and not even suing the other lady, Im not even having the damage fixed through her insurance, my husband is just gonna buff the scratches out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC