Vent I'm sweaty and it's my TF and SS1's fault

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm such an idiot.

I have DS RF in his TF, and had loaned my SS1 to a friend. When I found out I was pregnant, she offered the seat back to me, but I was almost sure it wouldn't fit next to the TF in my Explorer, so I told her I didn't think I'd need it. Later I decided to try, just to be sure, so I installed the SS1 quickly in the church parking lot before going home. Lo and behold it worked! I couldn't believe it. So then I decided to use it. I told her she could keep it as long as she needed it until Jan. She ended up getting a Woot TF within a month or so, so I got the SS1 back. It's been sitting in my laundry room since.

Well, today I decided to clean out my car, including DS's TF. I decided while I had it out anyway, I would try the SS1 again and this time take the TF out after I installed it to be sure it wasn't relying on the TF for a tight install. Crap. It was. So I installed it again, scooching it all the way over, then tried to get the TF back in. No go. The door hits the headrest when I close it. If it wasn't for the stupid 60/40 split and the hard thing on the edge of it, I could scooch the SS1 over a little more and we'd be fine.

In the end, I got them both in independently tight, but I had to press my hand down into the seat of the SS1 to get it locked into the base, and well, I just don't trust that we (*coughDHcough*) would be diligent enough to do that every time. I'm also not sure it was quite reclined enough, and the more reclined it is, the worse the fit is next to the TF. It also tends to push the SS1 out from the seat a little (making it crooked) when I do that. It's less than 1" so I think it'd be okay, but it makes me uncomfortable.

I quit there. I think I can get it in baseless, but man, what a pain. DH would never do it, either, so it'd be all me. I also could try the SS1 outboard behind the passenger and the TF in the middle. That might make a difference since I might could scooch the TF over a little more without it hitting the hard thing, but again, that's just inconvenient. DS is 31lbs and not mobile enough to climb in himself yet. DH really doesn't need a seat behind his long-legged, 6'4" self, but he *can* drive in front of the TF if he needs to....in fact, that might get DS his Radian a little faster if DH had to ride in front of the TF. :whistle:. I also hate not to use a perfectly good seat, but I guess I could sell it or keep it for a loaner. I do have a friend due in June and I know she got rid of her DS's infant seat. Hmmm.

Incidentally, I think I figured out how this happened to my other SS1 base.
CIMG0572.jpg

That mark is exactly where the hard thing is in my car. I bet I put pressure on it installing and caused that to happen.

Thanks for letting me vent!

ADS

Spam

What a pain!! Don't you wish all seats would work together perfectly and fit where you wanted them too?? It would make life so much easier. Nice stress mark!

jess71903

Ambassador
What a pain!! Don't you wish all seats would work together perfectly and fit where you wanted them too?? It would make life so much easier. Nice stress mark!

I know!! What makes me so mad is that I was sure they WOULDN'T work together and just tried for the heck of it and it "worked" so I changed my plan. I didn't realize at the time that the SS1 was so tightly up against the TF. Now I wish I hadn't even tried it, or at least had the sense to take the TF out to make sure it was still tight.

jess71903

Ambassador
I don't know that anybody cares about my install woes, but it makes me feel better to vent, so here I go.

I think the only thing that's going to be feesible is to put each kid outboard :(. I installed DS's TF behind the driver. DH will have to have the seat maybe an inch or 2 more forward than he's used to, and ride a little more upright, and I installed the TF more upright than I normally do. It's probably less than 35 degrees but I think I'm okay with that.

This means that the 3rd row will be unusable (not used much anyway), and the center seat hard to get to, but I'm not dealing with forcing the SS1 down into the base and then fighting to get it out every time.

I did get them in with the TF in the middle (that's not fun 7 months pregnant!) and the SS1 passenger outboard, but was still hard to get the SS1 in and out of the base, although not quite as bad as it was in the middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC