Booster question...

LovinMyBabies

I got the Parkway today and I'm so nervous about using it, so I want to make sure I teach MIL how to use it right each and every time. My DD is only 4 years old, and the booster will be used for short trips. Can we pull the belt out and lock it like we do on car seats? That way she's not bending over and reaching for things?
Also, on the manual it says a child under 40 pounds should be in a 5 point harness (which I already know) but what are the weight limits for the Parkway? I just flipped through it real quick, so I may have skimmed right over it? DD is usually about 39 pounds...give or take 1 on certain days. (So between 38-40 pound)

ADS

skaterbabs

yes, you can :) the PW does not have a maximum weight limit, the minimum is 30, but honestly under 4 yrs AND 40 lbs I'm not comfortable with a child isn a booster. They're just not able to sit properly ALL.THE.TIME. and that is absolutely vital. You may want to do a few test runs with your DD to make sure she understands she absolutely MUST sit correctly at all times.

LovinMyBabies

It's either a booster or an expired Eddie Bauer that she's grown out of. My MIL will be taking her to and from school, as I'll already be gone to school, and those are the only choices she's given me. And as of right now, after I spent $100 on the Parkway, she is about to change her mind even about that because that would mean taking her expired Eddie Bauer for my nephew out each day. And yes, she knows it's expired and dangerous. But she doen't care.

scatterbunny

Your MIL can leave the Eddie Bauer on one side and put Ciara on the other, right?

You can lock the shoulderbelt, that's perfectly fine. :) Teach your MIL to pull all the slack out of the lapbelt and then lock the shoulderbelt and it should be fine.

LovinMyBabies

She has my other nephew's seat on the other side, which she had alot of trouble installing rearfacing, so I knew she wouldn't take that one out.
Anyways, I talked to her tonight and I told her that if she didn't follow my wishes, I would be forced to pull Ciara out of school. She agreed to let her use the booster IF I come over and install one of her seats in the middle. Then she'll have room for Ciara's booster on one side. I also got through to her about the expired Eddie Bauer!! This was a GREAT accomplishment! She can't get a new seat until next month, but she aid she was going to get the AOE. She had a hard time grasping that a car seat can expire. It expired about 1.5 months ago.

scatterbunny

Good for you!!! :D

Can you steer her away from the AOE? She is replacing a combo seat, why doesn't she replace it with a Graco CarGo, or if she wants one that does well harnessed AND as a booster, an Evenflo Generations? Both of those are cheaper than an AOE, and much better seats.

skaterbabs

if she needs something that rear faces, I would suggest the Scenera (which may allow her to get a new seat sooner rather than later.)

LovinMyBabies

She like it becaue it goes rear facing 5-35 lbs, forward facing 20-40 lbs, and belt positioning booster 30 - 100 lbs. I told her I've heard it stinks as a booster, but I wasn't going to push too much yet since I finally got her to consider something else. I will sugget those seats at my next opportunity though, thanks!

LovinMyBabies

if she needs something that rear faces, I would suggest the Scenera (which may allow her to get a new seat sooner rather than later.)

She already has the Scenera on the other side of her car for my nephew and she hates the seat because it doesn't have much padding and was very hard for her to install rear facing. Do you know of any other seats that has high harnes slot that are fairly cheap?

skaterbabs

The Uptown is a nicer version of the Scenera, with the same limits. It doesn't become a booster but since the AO pretty much sucks in booster mode, I wouldn't consider that a problem.

scatterbunny

YES! The Safety 1st Uptown! $99 at Wal-Mart, higher top slots than Scenera, way more padding, built on an Enspira base, EPP foam, very nice cover, same 35 pound RF weight limit as Scenera and 3-in-1, no crappy booster mode.

LovinMyBabies

I just googled the Uptown. Look very nice and much more comfy than the Scenera!! Thanks!!

Also, do you have any good links on heavy jackets being dangerous in car seats? I'm still trying to get that one across to her. (Luckily DD knows to take her jacket off as soon as she gets in the car.) MIL always says when my kids get sick it's because I take their coats off in the car. First of all, the car is always warmed up first, 2nd, I close the van door before I take their coats off, and 3rd, colds and stuff are caused by viruses, not cold weather. :)

skaterbabs

Have you shown her the "coat test"? Out the child in the sat with the coat, then take the child out of the seat WITHOUT loosening the straps. Buckle the child back in without the coat. However much slack is left in the harness is how much slack there will be in a crash, possibly causing the child to be ejected.

LovinMyBabies

Yes, I did show her that before. Last year I think. She doesn't understand the compression part. She's a stubborn woman I guess. She really is a wonderful person, just stubborn and old-fashioned.

LovinMyBabies

She also knows firt hand how much extra room there is after you take the coat off because last year she had to adjust everything in the spring for spring jackets. She thinks that if it's tight, coat or not, you're ok.

scatterbunny

She also knows firt hand how much extra room there is after you take the coat off because last year she had to adjust everything in the spring for spring jackets. She thinks that if it's tight, coat or not, you're ok.

Well then she's an idiot if she doesn't understand that the thick coat will compress to be THAT loose (as loose as the harness is when spring jackets are on again after winter jackets) and possibly hurt or eject a child. :(

Isn't family fun?!? :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC