ARRGH!!!

leighi123

So I just had an argument with my mom when I told her I was trying to decide about bringing the carsea on our cruise in dec.

She said not to bring it, because if we went on a taxi ride or something somewhere, then I'd have to carry it around while we did our activity.

So aparantly because you are in Hati/Jamaca/the Caymens etc, you wont get in a car crash?

Her argument is that there is a risk in everything - so if Im going to worry about it we should just stay on-board and not go snorkel/swim with dolphins/go parasaling etc.

Yes there is a risk to everything - but thats why you take safety precautions, like a carseat! Sure you might still die, but at least your risk is less :confused:

She got really mad at me and 'didnt want to talk about it' I just totally dont understand where she is comming from... why would you need to be in a carseat EVERY time you get in the car when we are here in florida, but once you leave the country, oh well you dont need to worry about it? It just makes no sense at all.

So apparantly, because I think carseats are important in any moving vehicle regardless of what country its in, I should go live in a glass bubble where there is no risks at all of ever getting hurt.

Im soooo frustrated right now that she doesnt GET IT. ARGHHHHH

ADS

arly1983

I don't see whats the big deal about bringing the Titan.

I might think you were crazy if you wanted to carry the TrueFit around. ;)

Shes not going to get it. My family doesn't either.

leighi123

I only have the truefit here - the Titan is in tahoe at my grandma's house for her car (we travel with the truefit too, carried it around airports and such - we just have 2 cars we use in tahoe so thats why the titan stays there!)

I KNOW it would be a pain to carry around the seat, but based on what Ive seen, the only thing we might need the seat for is a jeep wrangler excursion - where you start and return to the boat in the same car - so no 'lugging' needed. Everything else LOOKS like its right there within walking distance. But we have never been so Im not 100% sure on that.

I just dont get why you go overseas and suddenly b/c there are no/limited carseat laws, that makes it ok not to use one.

She is totally fine with ERFing and let me explain why and has never complained about that - she does think his straps are too tight (they are tight, but they are supposed to be snug!), but she leaves them as I have it set up, just grumbles a bit when she buckles him in! Plus she is trying to help me get a carseat presentation in at the private school she worked at to the 3-4-5-6yr olds, who have scary carseat use - I dunno, I dont get it.

Jonah Baby

I support your madness in bringing along a seat.

Perhaps this would be a good occasion for a travel vest?
I don't know much about vests, so a Tech would need to chime in on that.
Techs?

swtgi1982

Do you know, I agree completely with you. I have been trying to get that thru to my in laws as well, but guess that they just do not understand. Maybe it has to do with most of them coming from the generation before car seats were standard use.

kathysr98

I completely understand the 'it's a vacation, nothing will happen' issue. I would consider getting a SR32 or other high weight infant seat if your son still fits. My daughter (today's stats in siggy) fits in a SR32 or BT Flex-Loc 30 right now. At least those seats have a handle, so they'd be easier to carry.

disbugsmomma

So if accidents never happen on vacation, then how did my former boss break his knee in Hawaii? Granted, he was on a moped, but he was still hit by a truck. It could have happened even if he'd been in a car.

I would take the seat too. :thumbsup:

cookie123

Possibly vehicles don't have seat belts anyway? We went on a cruise and took a bus to a snorkel excursion. No seat belts. I personally don't understand why people want to take little kids on stuff like this anyway.:) We left the car seat bound home with grandma when we took the older kids to Disney. She got her turn when she was older!

Seriously, my dd has announced her engagement. She's planning a destination wedding. I'm already worrying about car seats. I know she won't even give it a thought.

Can you find out through the cruise line whether seat belts would be available, depending on you knowing where you want to go and what you want to do. Sometimes on a cruise we have taken a taxi here or there. I think there were seatbelts in those. Is she little enough to stick in an infant seat and plop it in a car seat frame? Then you wouldn't have to heft the seat.

leighi123

He can fit in some infant seats, but I dont wanna buy the frame sense we would never use it otherwise!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC