Pilot and MDX false safety ratings??

T

tripleagle

I hear a lot about the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX being the only SUV’s to get the five star safety rating. Yet when I look at the NHTSA’s web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html) I see that the Honda is TBR for rollover ratings, and the Acura only has a four star on rollover ratings. Am I missing something?? How can they claim that they have five star safety ratings??
What I really want to know is I am deciding between the Buick Rendezvous, and the Honda Pilot. I am leaning toward the Rendezvous because of economic reasons. Which one is more safe??

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Ratings-

Manufacturers will often choose individual tests to emphasize in their ads. Most likely, the small print would indicate that they are referring only to NHTSA frontal crash tests or something.

Even so, the MDX is one of the highest rated SUVs. Not only does it get quadruple 5-star NHTSA frontal and side crash test ratings, it is the only true SUV to earn a 4-star rollover rating (unless you consider the Pontiac Aztec to be an SUV). The MDX also gets a Best Pick/Good rating in the IIHS offset crash test.

In that the Pilot is based on the MDX and has the same wide track, it should receive the same rollover rating. It should also do similarly well in the IIHS crash testing, though it could vary since the design is not identical. These vehicles also share the same platform with the Honda Odyssey, and it also received top ratings.

Only you can decide if these ratings are important to you. The Rendezvous received 3-star NHTSA frontal and rollover ratings, and had a warning about ejection in a side impact when the doors are unlocked (though it does have auto door locks). Though based on the GM minivan chassis, the Rendezvous did get a better "Acceptable" offset crash test rating than the minivan trio.

I hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC