FMVSS 213 compliance testing

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't disagree, and I understand and acknowledge that there are other factors that go into seat choice. I'm writing more about the "Britax is the best company with the best seats" phenomenon. I just don't get how that persists.

Everyone has seat preferences, of course. Some people prefer one brand to another for any type of product. I guess I haven't observered widespread allegiance as far as recommending one brand of carseats exclusive of anything else.

Britax certainly does have an image of being a leader in safety and convenience features. Combined with having higher priced products, that combination will always attract a certain segment of customers. They've also been very proactive with the tech community via their intranet and the Safe Kids Buckle Up program. That certainly doesn't hurt from a PR standpoint, either.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

duh, thanks, I realized the model numbers are rightthere in front!:rolleyes:

So..it looks like the echelons they tested are 40 lb seat (although they tested them with the 6 yo weighted dummy???) but the seats they call "Dorel alpha elite" , which I had at first assumed to be Apex 65's, since they call those "alpha elites" sometimes, are actually, according to the model numer, alpha OMEGA elites, or 3-in-1s, and that model number is a 40 lb seat.

fixed it, I meant 40 lb, typo...

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

duh, thanks, I realized the model numbers are rightthere in front!:rolleyes:

So..it looks like the echelons they tested are 40 lb seat (although they tested them with the 6 yo weighted dummy???) but the seats they call "Dorel alpha elite" , which I had at first assumed to be Apex 65's, since they call those "alpha elites" sometimes, are actually, according to the model numer, alpha OMEGA elites, or 3-in-1s, and that model number is a 50 lb seat.

yeah, alpha elites are Apex clones, but model number 22158 is an AOE (a 40 lb one). plus, it's in the convertible section and they tested it rf so I really doubt it's a combo. That's just further proof that Dorel has the dumbest naming conventions ever.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...I am impressed with the evenflo convertibles..the titan elite gets great numbers, even untethered, as does the triumph advance and even their tribute. This makes me hapy knowing so many kds are riding in these seats, especially institutional titans. Really impressed.
Also, the truefit appears to kick serious ... Excellent numbers. The lowest HIC's I've ever seen. Best all around numbers I think of any seat.
SKR did well, not the absolute awesome best ever numbers Russ might lead us to believe, but they did good.
And you can hate the AOE all you want, but with the 6yo WEIGHTED dummy, it passes the Tethered head excursion - UNTETHERED - by over 100 mm. Ya.
And the nauti did REALLY well. Period.
I'm VERY happy with the seats my kids are in right now, even if this is just one test.

i'm not sure why they only tested some seats in one of its capabilites? Like, I see the apex tested un BPB, but not for ff harnessed? and the nauti as a Ff harnessed seat, but not as a BPB?

Last edited by a moderator:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I will say that my hatred for the AOE is based mostly on the "only seat you'll ever need" quap. It's a fine rear-facing seat for an older baby/toddler, but it won't fit a newborn. It's a fine forward-facing seat as far as it goes, but it won't get most kids to booster age.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I will say that my hatred for the AOE is based mostly on the "only seat you'll ever need" quap. It's a fine rear-facing seat for an older baby/toddler, but it won't fit a newborn. It's a fine forward-facing seat as far as it goes, but it won't get most kids to booster age.

Ya, i understand, it certainly can't be an infant seat, and the booster is crap, but it does have a really tall shell for ERFing, and I would qualify your statement that while the 40 lb ones won't get most kids to booster age, the 50 pound ones absolutely will. I don't recommend it a lot because of the quirks/not wanting people to use it as a booster, etc, but aside from dorels marketing being stupid, the seat itself has consistently performed well in testing.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree -- I'll recommend the 50# AOEs with the caveat that it shouldn't be used as a booster. I'll tell people who already own the 40# AOEs that the seat is great to use to its limits, but to be aware of those limits FFing -- but I won't recommend the purchase because of those limits.

o_mom

Was the Frontier tested? (With the Nautilus doing so well, I'm curious about a comparison of the two, since people always seem hung up on which of those two seats to get.) (And yes, I could look myself, but have to go take care of my other life now.)

I didn't see it in this data, but it was tested and passed according to the monthly report from April 2009. No details for comparison, but it did pass. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/testing/comply/monthly/2009/apr2009rpt.pdf

Maedze

Everyone has seat preferences, of course. Some people prefer one brand to another for any type of product. I guess I haven't observered widespread allegiance as far as recommending one brand of carseats exclusive of anything else.

Britax certainly does have an image of being a leader in safety and convenience features. Combined with having higher priced products, that combination will always attract a certain segment of customers. They've also been very proactive with the tech community via their intranet and the Safe Kids Buckle Up program. That certainly doesn't hurt from a PR standpoint, either.

No, of course not, educated technicians wouldn't think that. But there's still a wide spread 'parenting' belief that "Britax is best".

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Donning the mod hat here for a moment: Please remember forum guidelines pertaining to language and keep it clean and professional as this is a public thread, and it presents the public face of the forum to the online world so to speak. Thanks!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I would like to point out one very important piece of information that no one else has addressed as far as I can tell. While numbers are interesting and certainly worthy of discussion, it doesn't mean anything unless you happen to drive a test sled bench seat with lap-only seatbelts and your child is exactly the same size and weight of a Hybrid III test dummy.

Those numbers do not and cannot predict how a particular CR will perform in a real crash involving a real child in a real vehicle.

Personally, I'm much more intrigued by the TC videos or by any other NCAP testing data where they are really crashing actual vehicles. NHTSA 213 compliance test data is essentially worthless as far as I'm concerned. And I definitely wouldn't chose one seat over another based solely on those numbers.

Pick the CR that fits your child and installs tightly in your vehicle. Whenever possible - pick a vehicle that has good crash worthiness and side curtain airbags. Those are the factors that will really determine how well protected a child will be in a crash.

Just my :twocents:

Evolily

I think it's interesting in how some seats did poorer or better than expected. I've heard 5892384 million times around here about how the Radian is preferred for a FFing seat in a spot w/out a tether, yet the nautilus had better head excursion and HIC numbers than the radian.

Seats are, presumably, designed specifically to pass on that bench with those dummies (otherwise the seat would never see the market). It's interesting how far under the "pass" bar different companies and seats are able to get.

BigDaddy

Granted, I'm not as experienced as many of the members, but this thread confuses me. :confused:

The overwhelming majority of replies in the forums state that the best seat is the one that provides the best fit for your child and vehicle. Yet, with these results coming out, everyone starts talking about how much better or worse certain seats are, without any apparent regard to how those seats fit the test rig and/or dummy, or how well the test simulates real world conditions.

Can someone please tell me the difference... why would seats that performed better in this test be considered better, even if another seat provides a better fit? Or at which point should seats that performed well in these tests be considered, even if another seat provides a better installation in my vehicle?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You are absolutely correct that proper fit is paramount, and our kids aren't shaped like test dummies and we don't drive around on test sleds.

You should, without a doubt, use a seat that fits your child and your car. There are very few* situations where I would recommend replacing a seat that works well for you. I would use these results as a starting point when shopping: I'd look first at seats that tested well (and were within my budget). If they fit my child and my car, I'd stop there. If they didn't fit well, I'd work my way down the list and I wouldn't look back, because I know that a good fit is the most important thing.

* And where I'd draw the line may be different from where another tech would. We all have biases, no matter how much we try not to.

Pixels

The whole purpose of FMVSS testing is to determine which seats are "good enough" and which aren't. Granted, they aren't going to exactly duplicate a real-world crash unless you are driving a test sled with lap-only belt or LATCH and the crash pulse perfectly mimics the test pulse and your child is an H-III dummy. Since that is practically a non-existent scenario today, does that mean the testing is pointless? I think there is much to learn. :twocents:

Yes, it is important that a seat properly fits the child, fits the vehicle, and is used correctly every time. In many (most?) cases, there is more than one seat that fits those criteria. If you have a vehicle that does not or cannot have top tethers retrofitted, a seat that performs under the tethered standard is a better choice than one that performs poorly, if all the other factors are the same.

I think it's interesting in how some seats did poorer or better than expected. I've heard 5892384 million times around here about how the Radian is preferred for a FFing seat in a spot w/out a tether, yet the nautilus had better head excursion and HIC numbers than the radian.

Up until now, we had no reason to think that any seat other than the Radian passed the tethered test without a tether. Sunshine Kids advertises the fact that they do. Graco (Nautilus) does not give us information about their test results. Now that we have data telling us that there are other seats that also pass the test, I'm sure the responses in the forums will change to reflect what we now know.

Maedze

This is FMVSS-Compliance. The whole point of the test is to find out if the seats work as the law requires them too. So yes, the testing results in this case are a very. big. deal.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Many of us were careful to explain that we recommended the Radian because we *knew* how it tested and were comfortable with those results.

BigDaddy

I understand the tests are important, and that a seat must pass. My question was in regard to how the results are being interpreted here. It's widely accepted that in the real world, a seat that has the best fit is safer, but that fact seems to be ignored when judging the results of these tests. I didn't see why this would be any different when comparing them. It seems that everyone assumes that all the seats fit the test rig and dummy perfectly, and that the results are a true reflection of the best protection each seat can provide. If the fit is so important in real world results, why shouldn't it be considered when judging these results. Perhaps, if the dummy was a different shape (I.E. taller and thinner, or shorter and fatter) as all kids are, the results could have been completely different, and seats that came out on top could have performed far worse and vice versa. I thought the main point of the test was to make sure the seats pass, not to rate which ones are better than the others, because there are so many factors that can't be incorporated into the test.

Considering that this thread is open for the public to see, I'd hate for someone to buy a seat based primarily on the numbers in this test, instead of how the seat fits. Especially, because the seats with better results may have performed differently with a child the size of their own.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC