FMVSS 213 compliance testing

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Was the Frontier tested? (With the Nautilus doing so well, I'm curious about a comparison of the two, since people always seem hung up on which of those two seats to get.) (And yes, I could look myself, but have to go take care of my other life now.)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you read the test report, the Regent with the 3yo was not tested on a standard test bench. :rolleyes: So really we don't know how that seat performed.

I did read it, and acknowledge that it wasn't really accurate for me to say that it "failed" for that reason -- but I am still unimpressed and am not mourning its discontinuation.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Was the Frontier tested? (With the Nautilus doing so well, I'm curious about a comparison of the two, since people always seem hung up on which of those two seats to get.) (And yes, I could look myself, but have to go take care of my other life now.)

I don't see the Frontier listed under combination or booster seats.

crunchierthanthou

This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.

So the Regent didn't pass untethered with a 3yo, but did with the 6?

The following seats passed the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without top tether. They were all tested with the 6yo 53 pound dummy. In alphabetical order:

Recaro Como
Recaro Signo

The following seats did not pass the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without the top tether. They did generally pass with the tether. In alphabetical order:
Britax Boulevard
Britax Decathlon
Britax Marathon
Britax Roundabout

and the Recaro convertibles passed untethered? I guess we can't blame the tall Britax bases on the poor head excursion numbers. :p

Last edited:

a_js

This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.

The regent test results are not encouraging for those of us who have one :( I'm considering returning ours (I just bought it).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

The question is how repeatable is the NHTSA/TC testing and do you put all of your trust into just these specific test results to make a choice? For example, a lot of people buy seats strictly on the Crash Protection rating score in a Consumer Reports review, also.

Other factors include ease-of-installation, ease-of-use and features like a rear-facing tether. I always use a tether when forward facing, anyway. I know the seat is installed and used correctly. While impressive, untethered results are not really interesting to me, at least for my kids. Obviously they would be more interesting in other situations.

One very nice thing about Britax is that they continue to make innovations. If this is a genuine opportunity for improvement, I'm sure it will be addressed.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Is this the one you say is corrupted? http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/Jan 2008 ed.xls

If so, Excel 2007 says it is not in the format defined by the extension, but WILL open it just fine. So, those with Excel 2007 should have no issues viewing it. I've saved in Excel 97-2003 format and attached it here for those having issues viewing it. It would not allow me to upload a .xls file so I've uploaded it 2 different way:

1. a zipped format. Download it, unzip and the .xls file will be there.
  2. If you're not familiar with unzipping, then download the .txt file instead and you WILL HAVE TO RENAME IT. Change the file extension from .xls to .txt

crunchierthanthou

How about the Regent tethered? :dizzy:

Here's the Regent data. The columns are -

size|ff/rf|Upright|tethered|LA use|HIC|chest G|head excursion|knee excursion|Pass/Fail

6yo (FF)(U) N N N/A N/A 681 808 P
3yo (FF)(U) Y N 619 50.8 615 732 P
6yo (FF)(U) Y N 746 51 686 798 P
3yo (FF)(U) Y N 722 59.9 683 795 P
3yo (FF)(U) N N 407 53.5 869 826 P

so, they list it all as passing, even though head excursion surpasses the max...

a_js

According to my math, between the Regent and Nautilus, the Nautilus does significantly better in HIC and HE untethered than the Regent does tethered. The difference is huge in the HIC numbers particularly, but I'm not sure how all this translates to real life use. :confused:

Pixels

So the Regent didn't pass untethered with a 3yo, but did with the 6?

The 3yo didn't pass the test untethered but there was a problem with the test bench so they basically disregarded that data. IMO, they should have retested the seat. Barring that, they should have left the data off the summary.

and the Recaro convertibles passed untethered? I guess we can't blame the tall Britax bases on the poor head excursion numbers. :p

Correct.

Ahhh, these tests always make me so nervous! So, basically tethering my seats ff (GN, YS, Signo, Radian) and I'm good..right? :confused:

Yes, tether your seats, and you're good. I provided the information on which seats performed well untethered in case you (general you) have to use a seat untethered.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The question is how repeatable is the NHTSA/TC testing and do you put all of your trust into just these specific test results to make a choice? For example, a lot of people buy seats strictly on the Crash Protection rating score in a Consumer Reports review, also.

Other factors include ease-of-installation, ease-of-use and features like a rear-facing tether. I always use a tether when forward facing, anyway. I know the seat is installed and used correctly. While impressive, untethered results are not really interesting to me, at least for my kids. Obviously they would be more interesting in other situations.

One very nice thing about Britax is that they continue to make innovations. If this is a genuine opportunity for improvement, I'm sure it will be addressed.

I don't disagree, and I understand and acknowledge that there are other factors that go into seat choice. I'm writing more about the "Britax is the best company with the best seats" phenomenon. I just don't get how that persists.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Whats up with those failing regent est listed in the rearfacing infant seat section? Do we know what that is about yet?
I can't follw the links to the actual descriptions of the testing, allI get is the excel sheet, so I can't see details.

a_js

The 3yo didn't pass the test untethered but there was a problem with the test bench so they basically disregarded that data. IMO, they should have retested the seat. Barring that, they should have left the data off the summary..

I totally agree, and honestly, if the data aren't valid at all that doesn't make me feel any better. I'm equally not excited about using a seat that failed the testing as I am about using one that was never tested properly to begin with. It might be the best of the bunch, but how would we ever know?

Pixels

Whats up with those failing regent est listed in the rearfacing infant seat section? Do we know what that is about yet?
I can't follw the links to the actual descriptions of the testing, allI get is the excel sheet, so I can't see details.

I forgot to mention that. Book 1 of the Excel sheet is 2006 data. Why? I don't know. I'm guessing it's a copy-paste accident. Book 2 is the actual 2008 data.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Thanks! I was so confused.
Off to look at sheet 2 some more......

Oh, hey, does someone who can access the details want to see if they state whether or not the eddie bauer 3-in 1 and alpha luxe echelons they used were the new 50-lb versions?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC