Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

FMVSS 213 compliance testing

FMVSS 213 compliance testing data for fiscal year 2008 has been released.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/testin...213/index.html

The file labeled January 2008 appears to be corrupted. The file January 2009 contains testing data for fiscal year 2008. A word of caution, I have already found errors in the Excel file. The file does contain links to the test summary reports for each child restraint tested.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: FMVSS 213 compliance testing

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

Pixels rocks and posted in news that the 2008 nhtsa compliance testing is out, although it is listed under 2009, because th link for 2008 doesn't work.......

So...SO......

They've got the newer seats that weren't in the 2007 testing...nauti....radians....recaros.....lots of boosters...oh ya.

So....who thinks the radians kicked butt untethered?......or not? ....
    Last edited by SafeDad; 11-06-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: minor edit for language;-)

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Re: SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

I am pathetic, and have not looked.

Carseat Crazy

Re: SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

my computer can't read it, it's in hieroglyphics

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

Carseat Crazy

Does anyone have a break down of the bigger name seats? (Radian, Nauti, Marathon, Regent, etc?) I can't see it either.
    Last edited by Calideedle; 11-06-2009 at 02:42 AM.
    Diana, Mommy To:
    Kolin [5.5.04]-Ava [12.13.05]-Aden [2.18.09]

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Honestly, I just looked to see if they all passed. My head can't handle numbers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Honestly, I just looked to see if they all passed. My head can't handle numbers right now.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I'm trying to read it so we can discuss it. My OpenOffice doesn't seem to like the formatting, and I'm trying to get it readable.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Follow the link that says 2009. That's 2008 Fiscal Year data. It's the 2008 link (2007FY) that is corrupted.

I have already found some errors in the data in the Excel file. For example, the file says that they tested the ComfortSport with a 3yo, RFing. But if you go to the actual test report, the 3yo test was FFing, 12mo was RFing.

The file says they all passed, but, um, they didn't. I won't go into it more than that until I have more opportunity to look at everything.

Regarding FFing untethered head excursion with the 6yo dummy: I was surprised at how many seats passed the 720 mm standard without a tether. The Radian did pass, but not by as big a margin as many other seats did. I'm going to try to rank the ones I remember from memory (It will probably be wrong! But best I can do right now for those who cannot read the file)
    Radian
    Recaro Como, Signo
    Nautilus

Someone specifically asked about a couple of Britax seats. They do NOT pass the 720 mm test without tether. Many of them, including some of the smaller seats, barely passed with the tether. The Regent appears to have failed the untethered test completely (limit is 813 mm, seat had over 850 mm excursion) and it also had chest Gs that were too high BUT NHTSA chose not to pursue it or investigate it as noncompliance because the test rig wasn't the standard test rig. (So what was the point of doing the test, I wonder?)
    Last edited by Pixels; 11-06-2009 at 10:12 AM.

CPS Advocate

The Nautilus did or didn't pass?

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

FTR, using OpenOffice, the file (the correct one, Jan 2009) was oddly formatted and the links would not open. I installed Microsoft's Excel Viewer and it seems to work -- so I'm making my way through this.

15. Thank You from:

Nauti did nicely untethered.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Passed with flying colors. Sorry, I don't know why it ended up at the bottom of the post. It was supposed to be at the bottom of the earlier list, indicating incredible performance without top tether.

18. Thank You from:

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    Passed with flying colors. Sorry, I don't know why it ended up at the bottom of the post. It was supposed to be at the bottom of the earlier list, indicating incredible performance without top tether.
    That doesn't surprise me, especially after watching the TC videos. The Nautilus looked VERY impressive in those crashes.

This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.

21. Thank You from:

Providing the following lists so that if a parent is having to choose which seat to use untethered, they can choose one that performs well untethered.

The following seats passed the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without top tether. They were all tested with the 6yo 53 pound dummy. In alphabetical order:
    Britax Regent
    Dorel Alpha Elite
    Eddie Bauer 3 in 1
    Evenflo Bolero
    Evenflo Triumph Advance
    Evenflo Titan Elite
    Graco Nautilus
    Recaro Como
    Recaro Signo
    Safety 1st All in One (AIO)
    Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80

The following seats did not pass the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without the top tether. They did generally pass with the tether. In alphabetical order:
    Britax Boulevard
    Britax Decathlon
    Britax Marathon
    Britax Roundabout
    Combi Zeus Turn
    Cosco Scenera
    Dorel Alpha Luxe Echelon
    Evenflo Chase
    Evenflo Express
    Evenflo Generations
    Graco CarGo
    Maxi Cosi Priori
    Recaro Young Sport
    Triple Play Sit N Stroll

CPS Advocate

Verrrrrry interesting

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.
    If you read the test report, the Regent with the 3yo was not tested on a standard test bench. So really we don't know how that seat performed. If you go back and look at the 2006 data, IIRC, the Regent failed on head excursion there as well. In light of that, I think it was irresponsible for NHTSA not to go back and run the test again properly. It's not like this seat has an impeccable history.

I agree 100% with the sentiment of your statement. I have no love for Britax. Zero. Nada. Combine these test results with the TC results and you come up with the reason I will avoid them if at all possible.