FMVSS 213 compliance testing

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

Pixels rocks and posted in news that the 2008 nhtsa compliance testing is out, although it is listed under 2009, because th link for 2008 doesn't work.......

So...SO......:eek:

They've got the newer seats that weren't in the 2007 testing...nauti....radians....recaros.....lots of boosters...oh ya. :thumbsup:

So....who thinks the radians kicked butt untethered?......or not? ....:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Re: SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

I am pathetic, and have not looked.

romanoma

Re: SO??? We're going to discuss this, RIGHT????? (2008 nhtsa compliance testing!)

my computer can't read it, it's in hieroglyphics :(

Calideedle

Does anyone have a break down of the bigger name seats? (Radian, Nauti, Marathon, Regent, etc?) I can't see it either.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Honestly, I just looked to see if they all passed. My head can't handle numbers right now.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

I'm trying to read it so we can discuss it. My OpenOffice doesn't seem to like the formatting, and I'm trying to get it readable.

Pixels

Follow the link that says 2009. That's 2008 Fiscal Year data. It's the 2008 link (2007FY) that is corrupted.

I have already found some errors in the data in the Excel file. For example, the file says that they tested the ComfortSport with a 3yo, RFing. But if you go to the actual test report, the 3yo test was FFing, 12mo was RFing.

The file says they all passed, but, um, they didn't. I won't go into it more than that until I have more opportunity to look at everything.

Regarding FFing untethered head excursion with the 6yo dummy: I was surprised at how many seats passed the 720 mm standard without a tether. The Radian did pass, but not by as big a margin as many other seats did. I'm going to try to rank the ones I remember from memory (It will probably be wrong! But best I can do right now for those who cannot read the file)
Radian
Recaro Como, Signo
Nautilus

Someone specifically asked about a couple of Britax seats. They do NOT pass the 720 mm test without tether. Many of them, including some of the smaller seats, barely passed with the tether. The Regent appears to have failed the untethered test completely (limit is 813 mm, seat had over 850 mm excursion) and it also had chest Gs that were too high BUT NHTSA chose not to pursue it or investigate it as noncompliance because the test rig wasn't the standard test rig. (So what was the point of doing the test, I wonder?)

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

FTR, using OpenOffice, the file (the correct one, Jan 2009) was oddly formatted and the links would not open. I installed Microsoft's Excel Viewer and it seems to work -- so I'm making my way through this.

Pixels

The Nautilus did or didn't pass?

Passed with flying colors. Sorry, I don't know why it ended up at the bottom of the post. It was supposed to be at the bottom of the earlier list, indicating incredible performance without top tether.

Maedze

Passed with flying colors. Sorry, I don't know why it ended up at the bottom of the post. It was supposed to be at the bottom of the earlier list, indicating incredible performance without top tether.

That doesn't surprise me, especially after watching the TC videos. The Nautilus looked VERY impressive in those crashes.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.

Pixels

Providing the following lists so that if a parent is having to choose which seat to use untethered, they can choose one that performs well untethered.

The following seats passed the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without top tether. They were all tested with the 6yo 53 pound dummy. In alphabetical order:
Britax Regent
Dorel Alpha Elite
Eddie Bauer 3 in 1
Evenflo Bolero
Evenflo Triumph Advance
Evenflo Titan Elite
Graco Nautilus
Recaro Como
Recaro Signo
Safety 1st All in One (AIO)
Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80

The following seats did not pass the 720 mm (tethered) requirement without the top tether. They did generally pass with the tether. In alphabetical order:
Britax Boulevard
Britax Decathlon
Britax Marathon
Britax Roundabout
Combi Zeus Turn
Cosco Scenera
Dorel Alpha Luxe Echelon
Evenflo Chase
Evenflo Express
Evenflo Generations
Graco CarGo
Maxi Cosi Priori
Recaro Young Sport
Triple Play Sit N Stroll

Pixels

This is not bashing, sour grapes, bitterness, or anything like that -- but I am seriously baffled by the continuing Britax love. The Roundabout, untethered with a 3yo, was exactly at the head excursion limit. The Regent failed untethered with a 3yo. Some of the other tests did pass, but not all that well. I am really impressed by the Generations and hope that the 65 is as good as the older one.

If you read the test report, the Regent with the 3yo was not tested on a standard test bench. :rolleyes: So really we don't know how that seat performed. If you go back and look at the 2006 data, IIRC, the Regent failed on head excursion there as well. In light of that, I think it was irresponsible for NHTSA not to go back and run the test again properly. It's not like this seat has an impeccable history.

I agree 100% with the sentiment of your statement. I have no love for Britax. Zero. Nada. Combine these test results with the TC results and you come up with the reason I will avoid them if at all possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC