carseat on a golf cart thing?

leighi123

ok another question -

What do you think about intalling a carseat on one of those 'bigger' golf cart sorta car things?

I saw one yesterday, with a britax installed FF w/a small toddler in it (15months maybe?), and a bunch of other kids in the back and front, they were driving down the sidewalk (sidewalks are wide here), looking like they came back from the beach, Im not sure where they were headed but there is a bunch of huge houses along that road, and its just a couple miles from there to the beach.
The seat was obviously not very stable, it was kinda leaning side to side as the cart moved, Im not sure if that was because its not possible to install it right, or if they just didnt bother to, or if it wasnt buckled in at all.

Seemed scary to me, I wouldnt do it, but just wondering if it would even be possible.

Im only asking b/c of my previous cruise question, a golf cart thingy might be another form of transportation we might want to take, I wont do it if its not safe for Levi though!

ADS
I live here in Celebration, FL in Orlando near Disney.

In our town there are tons of people including my family who own NEV's (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) which are basically nice golf carts. Everyone here takes their kids to school in them and they drive them on the street just like a regular car. The only have a top speed of 25MPH and in the 8 years I've lived here I've never heard of any incident involving a NEV.

The top posted speed limit within Celebration is 25MPH so it's not like they are out on major roads. Plenty of people have child eats installed in NEV's and when I was a live-in nanny for a family here they actually bought me a NEV for the purpose of driving the kids around town to the park, school, for ice cream etc. I had Maile in her car seat in the NEV back then (she's now 9) and my aunt takes my little cousin to school in it...she's 7 and rides in a Regent in their main car but a TurboBoster in the NEV.

I see why you'd be concerned but if you look the town up you'll see it's a quiet little white picket fence town and quite honestly NEV's are a great alternative to people driving their large SUV's short distances...we even have designated NEV parking in the downtown area, they take up less room in the pick up line, better for the enviroment, easy to get kids in and out of and my personal favorite was being able to hose it down when it got all sandy :)

I loved my lttle NEV and never felt unsafe in it. If I remember corectly there are shoulder belts in the back and then lap belts in the front..I got a perfectly good install with a car seat in it and the seatbelts lock out just like a car- I'll find a picture for you guys later of the kids in it.

leighi123

So does that mean you CAN install one safely? What about rear-facing?

What about on a normal golf cart?

I never personally installed a rear facing seat in it but I know you can...they seat is just like a car and the belt locked. I see people with SnugRides, SafeSeats and rear facing Britax/Evenflo/Graco seats all the time around town. I just never had a need to install rear facing as Maile was about 3 or 4 back then.

Maybe you can look them up I think if you look up GEM electric vehicle's you may be able to find more specific information. I was a little younger back then and although I knew how to keep the kids safe and lock out seatbelts etc I didn't obsessively look into the specific's of the NEV :)

I wouldn't drive a baby around just anywhere in an electric vehicle but in a quiet town or low traffic/speed limit area I see no problem with it...it's a nice green way to travel and SO much easier to get them in and out! The kids LOVE riding in the NEV and it was so great to save money on gas, easy parking and not having to wait for the air to cool down a hot car interior...you get a great breeze! There are zipper plastic rain covers for the sides also and a great little trunk...you can do the grocery shop with it which we did often.

I am unsure about a normal golf cart though...I didn't even think they had seat belts?

mbbowman

Assuming the car seat is installed such that it won't fall out, I think that's far better than letting a toddler sit in one without any restraint. I love NEVs!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC