carseat on a cruise - do I bring it?

leighi123

We are skipping christmas and going on a cruise!

We are driving to the place the boat takes off from, and our car will be in the garage there for the week, and then on the actual cruise we will be stopping off at a bunch of places. So am I supposed to take the carseat on the boat in case we need it at one of the places we stop?

It looks like most of them you just get off the boat on the beach and hang out close by, but one place there is a bus ride (no idea what the seatbelt situation is), and another had little golf cart looking things, the stops are for a day or less, so we wouldnt be renting a car.

I dunno if there is any place to put it onboard?

Any ideas?

ADS
If I were you I'd just go ahead and bring it...there's room in your cabin for it. You can just stick it in the corner or in the closet just in case. When we went on a cruise just to Mexico we did choose to rent a little Jeep Wrangler for the day to go find a nice beach. The cruise ships dump you off in a tourist trap and we had such a nice time getting away from all that for a few hours. We found a gorgeous deserted beach and a nice beach front rastaurant, it was well worth it and I don't see it being too difficult to bring it on the ship at all.

We didn't have young kids with us but I remember seeing a pile of car seats in the Hertz rental office (Cozumel) thrown in the corner...half didn't even have covers on them and I am not kidding when I say they were 15 years old.... the car rental office also had no windows or doors..!

Meg

A lot depends on what ports you'll be visiting during your cruise. I don't recall ever seeing a seat belt on any of the modes of transportation we've used in different ports. During all of our cruises, the ports either had open air taxis, water taxis, or buses, so we weren't able to use a car seat. Also, keep in mind that many ports have plenty of excursions, beaches, and shopping all within walking distance from the ship. If you plan ahead, you can definitely avoid bringing your car seat on board, which I'd advise because depending on your cabin- you will have little to no extra space in there.

Mom2K&Gray

I posted a similar thread in another section but we are dealing with the same dilemma. However, we have 2 kids (3 and 1) and will be in Mexico where the car situation is sketchy at best. There is only one excursion we want to go on that will require a car ride, and I just don't think bringing 2 Marathons would be worth storing them in our room, possibly not being able to use them in a taxi, and having no idea where to keep them while we are on our excursion. I am trying to figure out if it's safer to try and go by bus or another large vehicle where we would be safer in the event of an accident.

bethng

I brought two DC's on our alaskan cruise because I knew we would be renting a van at one of the ports. They were easy to store. Not really a pain to haul around. We dropped all our luggage off at one particular spot (directly unloaded from our van) and when we got to our cabin it was all outside our door. Same for when it was time to go home. Leave it all in the hallway and they take it and it is waiting for you when you get off the boat. Looking back I wonder if they took good care of the seats. I am pretty sure they did. Just loaded them on carts and took them to our rooms.

leighi123

Ok I think I will just bring it - 'just in case', I dont want to have to worry about it!

I dont know our plans yet for what we will be doing at all the stop offs - seems like a lot of it is on or close to the water, which is good, but there are a few things like a jeep wrangler tour, and that bus ride to somewhere ... we are not really going to plan any of the activities until we are on-board and can see what looks good, they said none of it has to be booked in advance.

Better safe than miss out on something b/c of no seat! I for sure would never rent one from anywhere, Ive seen how scary those seats can be :eek:

I guess the main issue is where to put it in a tiny cabin - my sister, Levi and I are sharing a little room, and my parents are getting a bigger one, so I guess they get to have it in their room!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC