Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ford's New Seat Belts

My hubby just forwarded me this link from the corporate website...don't know if it answers any of your guys questions, but he wondered if I'd heard anyone here mention them yet...and he wasn't disappointed when I told him that there was already a thread about it here.

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages...eatSafety.aspx
    ~Mel, Ex-CPST, Triathlete & Mom of 5ReiKids + 1E!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Ford inflatable seat belt and car seats

Maybe it's a two-piece belt? Maybe you can't use LBP with it.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I dunno, domestics don't exactly have a great track record on getting stuff right. I'd rather not put my life in Ford's hands on faith.

In everyday use, the inflatable belts operate like conventional seat belts and are safe and compatible with infant and children safety car and booster seats.
    (From the article in the above post)
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Compatible in what way? Compatible meaning "it will go through a belt path" or compatible meaning "Oh, it's fine when the airbag inflates inside the belt path"?

Also, kudos to Ford for trying to keep kids safe, but I don't see how this helps much.

Ford engineer Srini Sundararajan has been working on the inflatable belts the last ten years and says their value goes well beyond the protection it provides. But the fact it's a padded, more comfortable seat belt means more passengers, especially kids, will be encouraged to buckle up. For years, engineers have been looking for ways to reduce or eliminate "seat belt syndrome".

Seat belt syndrome refers to the fact many kids under 8 have suffered internal or spinal injuries because they were not properly belted in. Sometimes kids put the shoulder strap behind them because it's uncomfortable. Sometimes they're too small and the belt doesn't hold them in place effectively, or constricts across their bellies, causing internal injuries.
    Kids don't think, "Wow, this seat belt isn't padded. I think I'll put it behind my back." They think, "Wow, this seat belt is cutting into my neck and restricting my movement. I think I'll put it behind my back."

Now what happens when an airbag deploys behind them? Does it force them even farther forward?

I also worry that tying this in with children's safety is going to result in people thinking they REALLY don't need a booster since they have this new special seatbelt.

Sorry, I'm just not convinced yet.
    Last edited by LISmama810; 11-05-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: punctuation

8. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Nisha View Post
    (From the article in the above post)
    Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Compatible in what way? Compatible meaning "it will go through a belt path" or compatible meaning "Oh, it's fine when the airbag inflates inside the belt path"?

Also, kudos to Ford for trying to keep kids safe, but I don't see how this helps much.

Kids don't think, "Wow, this seat belt isn't padded. I think I'll put it behind my back." They think, "Wow, this seat belt is cutting into my neck and restricting my movement. I think I'll put it behind my back."

Now what happens when an airbag deploys behind them? Does it force them even farther forward?

I also worry that tying this in with children's safety is going to result in people thinking they REALLY don't need a booster since they have this new special seatbelt.

Sorry, I'm just not convinced yet.
    I wondered the same things when I saw it on the news. I'm glad they are thinking of new ways to keep passengers safe but it's safe according to Ford... but what about the car seat manufactorers? Have they okayed it? It would make me very nervous to use it with a car seat because I wouldn't know how much damage, if any, would be done to the car seat when the belt inflated on impact inside the belt path.

I also looked at the images they used on the news with the child animation and went, "fantastic, now one more reason people will give for not using a car seat."
    Mom to Peanut(12/2008) harnessed in FR90 and Snuggle Bug(10/2013) RFing in Blvd CT & XTSL

I'm confused by what you're confused by (the bolded part).

If the seat belt is buckled at all, whether an adult, a child, a carseat, or a booster is in use, the airbag will deploy. In the case of carseats and boosters, it won't interfere with installation.

If the seating positing is empty and the belt hangs unused, the airbag won't deploy.

Or were you confused by something else??

So what happens to a carseat with the seat belt buckled (using seat belt for install) and a child in it Also, does that mean every time your child isn't in a carseat with the belt install, it should be unbuckled, causing the carseat to become a projectial object (or even a booster seat)?

There are a few of us out there that just don't use LATCH at all.....

Madeline - 10/2005
    Marshall - 4/2009
    Merric - 9/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Niea View Post
    If the seat belt is buckled at all, whether an adult, a child, a carseat, or a booster is in use, the airbag will deploy. In the case of carseats and boosters, it won't interfere with installation.
    Thats what I am confused about. If a car seat is in use and the airbag deploy, wouldn't it exert a force on the car seat or worse break the car seat assuming I am using long belt path?

Well, even using latch, we teach to buckle the seat belt, then set the car seat on the seat and install. How will that work?

Since these are meant to be for children as well, I'm wondering if the force they use to deploy is significantly lower than what we think of with air bags. I mean, even if you're installing a TF and have the lock-offs closed, and it blows the lock-offs, the seatbelt will then be locked (emergency) and hold the car seat as it's supposed to, right?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Quote Originally Posted by rochelle View Post
    Thats what I am confused about. If a car seat is in use and the airbag deploy, wouldn't it exert a force on the car seat or worse break the car seat assuming I am using long belt path?
    OH! Yeah, I don't know. I'm guessing since the airbag deploys gently, the carseat's rigidity may just prevent the bag from deploying at the spot.

I agree, though, that I don't necessarily trust Ford to have thought of everything and I'd like to see an independent party do some testing and let the vehicles be on the market for a while before I'd ever use the new feature.

how could it be compatible with carseats? i'm thinking of a narrow-ass scenera Rfing beltpath..when that belt inflates, whats to say it isn't going to EXPLODE the carseat? seriously? Or the TF lockoffs..it's gonna just blow them up?

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

What about with an infant seat install without the base? I would think the airbag may cause the seatbelt to pop out of that little belt path notch on the top of the seat and then the carseat might go flying.

Hopefully Ford will do full testing with all the different scenarios. If they seem to pass with no performance issues on the carseats, I don't have any issues using these new seatbelts to install the carseats. Hopefully they can release their crash test results first though to show us that they did test them and no negative results occurred.
    Katy

What about the storing of the seat belt? We buckle the seat belt, install the car seat with latch, over it. What happens?

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    What about with an infant seat install without the base? I would think the airbag may cause the seatbelt to pop out of that little belt path notch on the top of the seat and then the carseat might go flying.
    The airbag is only on the shoulder portion, though. With baseless infant seats (at least all the ones I know of), only the lap portion goes through. So that would actually be one of the few types of seats that probably would be ok with it.

Senior Community Member MustangMama's Avatar

New breakthrough in passenger safety?

http://autos.aol.com/?adl=59151&icid...%3Fadl%3D59151

"Air bags have made their way to nearly every part of the automobile, from front air bags in the steering wheel and dashboard to side curtain airbags that drop down from the ceiling and from the side pillars.

But now Ford has taken it a step further: they've put air bags inside a seat belt. The new belts are designed to provide additional protection for rear-seat occupants, often children and older passengers who can be more vulnerable to head, chest and neck injuries."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40gfYi4GPNU"]YouTube- New Ford Inflatable Seat Belts[/ame]

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20091105

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see the original thread. Looks like mine has been joined with the original.
    Last edited by MustangMama; 11-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.

21. Thank You from:

Re: New breakthrough in passenger safety?

This is a very cool idea, but I hope they plan on a way to turn it off for passengers riding in infant seats, convertibles, and FFing harnessed seats.

Thanks for the link!
    Mel: mama to Aidan Ryan (06/28/08) & two Angels (07/2007 & 05/2010)
    MTHFR, ANA, and low progesterone.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    So what happens to a carseat with the seat belt buckled (using seat belt for install) and a child in it Also, does that mean every time your child isn't in a carseat with the belt install, it should be unbuckled, causing the carseat to become a projectial object (or even a booster seat)?

There are a few of us out there that just don't use LATCH at all.....
    Thank you! I can hardly every get a good install with latch in any vehicle with my seats. (To loose for my liking)
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting