Car seat fact or fiction?

monstah

There are two statements I see fairly often that I would like some input on from others.

1. "Chest clips are designed to break open in a crash."
Are they really? I didn't watch all of the TC videos but in the crash test footage I have seen, I don't recall any chest clips breaking. Maybe, I did see them break but my brain didn't pick up on it. KWIM?
Can anyone clear this up for me?

2. Installing a seat more upright helps gain room in a harnessed seat.
From my experience (confined to two vehicles) to get more room to grow in a harnessed seat, I need to try to recline the car or vehicle seat more, not make it upright. The recline gets the kids to slouch a little. That could be only true of the car seats I have and/or vehicles I use.
I was wondering what other people have experienced.

Thanks for any input! Feel free to add your own, "is it a fact?" question if you have one.

ADS

scatterbunny

As for #1, I can't say if that's true or not...I don't personally think chest clips are designed to break (or slide down, that's another one I've heard), but I do think it does happen in some cases, and it isn't a bad thing if it happens. It's just a side effect of the crash, and as long as straps were tight before, the chest clip remaining in place or sliding down or breaking should have little/no impact on crash performance.

As for #2, I think it totally depends on what seats and vehicle you own. In my own experience, though, installing seats more upright means my dd's torso slouches a little, and she gains growing room. When we had more reclined seats, she seemed to "spread up" the seatback more, appearing taller in the seat. I've heard of others having different experiences, though (more in line with yours); their children slouch down in a more reclined seat and have more growing room.

Maedze

1. Chest clips: They're not crash retaining devices....the buckle at the crotch is. The chest clip is a positioner. I have a feeling that they're stronger than they need to be, but hopefully they'd break BEFORE the sternum does!

2. It might have been just a quirk in the vehicle/car combo you were working with. As a general rule, installing more upright radically increases the front to back room you have to play with.

scatterbunny

2. It might have been just a quirk in the vehicle/car combo you were working with. As a general rule, installing more upright radically increases the front to back room you have to play with.

I don't think she was talking about RF seats being installed more upright to gain more front-to-back room. I think she was talking about installing a FF seat more upright or more reclined to change the amount of growing room the child has. ;)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
1. I don't know if all of them are "designed" to break, but they are definitely do not have enough restraining force to remain in place and intact in a severe crash.

2. My experience is that my kids gain room in seats installed more upright (while rear-facing or forward-facing), but it may vary by child/seat/vehicle-- like other installation quirks. :)

Maedze

I've decided I'm going to make it a policy to just not actually read the questions.

That way, when people ask what is the best booster for their 60 pound 7 year old, I can respond, "Yes, the White House currently has the first Presidential garden for the first time in more than fifty years. Hope this helps you!"

At least it would be more interesting.

:doh:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC