Backless boosters on vacation?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
So we're going to Orlando in May w/ my parents and the kids and my brother (and maybe a friend for him, lol). We're going to WDW and staying on property so that's not the problem. The problem is then we're going on a cruise and it's a 45 mins drive to the port. My dad found a place that will take us all there for a decent price instead of having to rent for 10 people or paying the $700 that Carnival charges to get from the airport to the port. Here's my dilemma. The rooms on the cruise ship are small and of course I don't want to check any seats if at all possible. Would you let the boys use backless boosters to go from the resort to the port? AJ will be just shy of 7 and pushing 60#, I'm not so worried about him. It's Evan. He'll be almost 5.5yo and has only used a booster one time, to go across the street, lol. He will doubtedly be 40# by then, we're lucky if he'll make 38# or so by then and he might hit 42". Now there will be an adult w/ him of course to help him sit right etc, but it just seems odd to let him sit in one. Ugh.

The boys will be using just the lap belts on the plane and the girls will be in carseats. Ilana will take an Avenue and Olivia will take her SS1 or an Avenue as well. Probably the Avenue b/c I have a feeling the SS1 is going to go to BIL and his wife in Feb. Do I ask the rental place if they rent seats? :eek: Someone posted about these travel suitcases that turned into booster seats that were supposed to be coming to the US next year and they looked perfect but it still weirds me out that they're backless. I've brainwashed myself!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would, but start booster training now. The highway over to the port is flat and straight and a nice road and shouldn't be too busy, though we traveled on it on Saturday mornings. We just got back from a Disney cruise and they are right next door to the Carnival port.

One place you may be able to store the boosters is under your bed in your cabin. That's where we stored some of our luggage on our cruise. You might be able to find a bb for Carnival cruises and ask about storage in the staterooms.

Have fun!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If your 5 year old is not developmentally ready/heavy enough by then, you can consider the Ride Safer Travel Vest.

I've heard those backpack boosters are not good boosters-- they have no armrests or belt guides to keep the belt down, literally just boost the kid up, don't position the belt properly. So you might be wary of that. Consider a different backless instead, the Cleks have a carry handle, or something really lightweight that fits your 7 year old well, and put it in a regular backpack...

Maedze

I would, but start booster training now. The highway over to the port is flat and straight and a nice road and shouldn't be too busy, though we traveled on it on Saturday mornings. We just got back from a Disney cruise and they are right next door to the Carnival port.

One place you may be able to store the boosters is under your bed in your cabin. That's where we stored some of our luggage on our cruise. You might be able to find a bb for Carnival cruises and ask about storage in the staterooms.

Have fun!

I agree. They may not be 'perfect', but we know backless boosters are rated for kids that size and age. I'd booster train and not worry about it.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Thanks. This was the booster/backpack thing that was posted. Now it's not listed on the US site as coming so I'm not even sure if it's coming here, but it's cool looking. http://www.trunki.co.uk/products/boostapak_9/boostapak_21#

Booster training sounds hard, lol. I know we did it w/ AJ, but he was just so much bigger than Evan is and more conservative. ;) The one time he did ride in a booster across the street though he did well, lol.

itzmeigh

I would. It sounds like it will be a full van so with plenty of adults. I'd have an adult handy to help be sure the youngest was staying in his belt. But yep. I'd do it.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks. This was the booster/backpack thing that was posted. Now it's not listed on the US site as coming so I'm not even sure if it's coming here, but it's cool looking. http://www.trunki.co.uk/products/boostapak_9/boostapak_21#

Booster training sounds hard, lol. I know we did it w/ AJ, but he was just so much bigger than Evan is and more conservative. ;) The one time he did ride in a booster across the street though he did well, lol.

Those are so cute!!! We saw people rolling around something like those behind them at the ABC Show. If your dad does end up deciding to rent a van instead, it doesn't sound like it will be difficult to drop it off: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2323866 .

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I asked on the boards and it seemed like a service was the way to go vs renting since we'd have 10 people to transport. Plus we'll be going from AKL to the port, not the airport so I'm not sure how that works. The less work for us the better! lol I just made all our dining reservations and mom got the plane tickets so it's getting so close. It's still almost 6 mos from now, but closer than it was 6 mos ago! hahaha

kiloyd

I would definitely do it for your 7 yr old. I'd be iffy on the 5 yr old. Is it only for the ride to the cruise and back? If it is then I'd probably do it and have an adult next to him/her.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yeah, we're staying on property at Disney so will use the Disney transportation everywhere we need to go. My kids love the buses! lol So it's just from the resort to the port and then port to the airport.

courtfrog2

RSTV for the littler boy. PM me and I would probably be able to let you borrow mine if you pay the shipping. Shouldn't be too much. I'm only a few states over.

I got something else I could use for my 5 year old while you are borrowing it.

No back for the older one is fine IMO.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That can be used w/out the tether right? I have no experience w/ the vests at all. Would yours be the right size for a 38# (that's a best case scenario, lol) child? Thanks for the offer, that's sweet. We have some time to figure it out and why I asked here b/c I knew others would have ideas for me!

courtfrog2

Mine is a size small. I could be wrong but I thought it went down to 35lbs. I'm sure the website will say.

Just let me know in the spring if you are interested because I totally will forget by then LOL. We love this vest and I love sharing to love :love:.. I believe it's already been to Disney World once... LOL. Another friend of mine borrowed it last spring and went there.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
He's 36# now, but keep in mind he was 35# at his 4yr appt 11 mos ago, lol. He was up to 37# though, but that just happened since Sept. We can borrow it if we want and if it doesn't fit go w/ the booster I guess. I'll have to send myself a note to remember b/c I am a bad rememberer!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The key measurement is the distance around the torso. That's why many kids don't fit until around 37-38 lbs. But, some fit right at 35. So it depends. :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This brings back some memories for me--our second-to-last trip to Costa Rica, I ended up packing the Monterey base in my medium suitcase and the back in my large suitcase.. then I surrounded them with clothing. As much as I wished he was ready for a backless, at 6 years old he wasn't..and then on top of that, when dealing with van transportation and such oftentimes you will end up in situations where you don't have headrests.

The only reason I didn't take the RSTV is because it would've been brutal for him to wear in the heat there :)

-Nicole.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I thought about headrests and lap belts. When dad gets back to the US next Spring and books the company, I can call them and get more specific details.

kbud

Have fun!

I live in Titusville, just off of SR528 that you will be taking. Yes, it's flat and straight but the speed limit is 70 and people often drive a good 10 mph over the speed limit, weave in and out of lanes and tailgate. My DH drives it everyday for work. People are crazy on it. We had a friend very seriously injured in an accident on it. Just wanted to throw that out there. I'm always glad my almost 6 year old is harnessed when we are on that road.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC