Kamille wants to ride in a booster :(

libranbutterfly

I am considering getting her one for her birthday. Just for trips around town. Only if she stays above 40 lbs though. She will be 5. Opinions? I want her to be able to ride in a booster before she starts kindy. There is no bus service, and my work takes a van to pick up the kids. I was also considering installing a radian in the middle of the back row in the lap only belt, but she can't buckle and unbuckle it herself. She can buckle the Natilus 85% of the time, but it wont fit with 2 boosters on each side. She is developmentally ready, I think, but part of me wants to get a Radian SL and turn her RF again. This is all hypothetical, of course, depending on DH getting a job and bills getting caught up. So, what would you do? She seems so tiny to me. she has been hovering at 39-40 lbs, and is about 43" tall. She just moved to the top slot on the Nautilus, and has about 2 inches of harness left in the Radians. She has 1/2 inch in the Marathons.

ADS

NVMBR02

I think she sounds like she might be ready for booster training. I wouldn't move her full time yet at her age and size if she is mature enough it may be a good compromise.

DD1 could still rear face but she doesn't want to and at 5 1/2 I am not going to force her. I know my dd wants to be in a booster like her friends. She is 45inches and 35ish pounds. She does have a booster that we have used a few times. I have told her that when her sister outgrows the infant seat we will move her to a booster full time as long as she sits correctly.

libranbutterfly

Kamille loved RF. I had to turn her when I did because I had a pickup truck and could only fit one RF seat. She comlained for a year asking if she could RF. By the time I had gotten a new vehicle, she was too heavy for our seats. I think if it wasn't for peer pressure, she would still love to RF.

babyherder

If she's willing to compromise what if she gets to sit rf in your car (if that's something you decide you want to do) and in a booster for training/in the kindergarten van/friend's cars etc.

libranbutterfly

OK. I think I may have an idea that will solve all of my car seat problems for now, and help my hubby agree to it. I can get 2 radian 80 SL from hipmonkey for $458. I can get her a booster for DH's car. Keeping 1 of my current radians and one marathon as spares, I could have Kamille in a booster, Lexi in the Nautilus in DH's car. both RF in my car in the Radian SL. Give or sell cheap radian 65 to MIL for niece (currently in a 40 lb seat @ 40-41 lbs). Then I could sell 1 Marathon and maybe the husky (or give to someone who really needs a HWH) to help fund some of this switching. I like having a marathon because I can always install it quick in any car (and we have had some tricky cars), and it is the only seat I can get to work in the middle of DH's blazer if a 3 across is needed (if neice or nephew visit) I like having a spare radian to keep installed in my car for babysitting (It would all match), and to install in the blazer for Kamille if taking the blazer for a longer trip. I have to try the radian RF in my car, of course, and make sure it will work. But, does this sound ok? I would still have 6 seats for 2 kids, but I do have a third kid in my car about once a week, and I just hate to give up my marathon for ease of install. I could probably get rid of the third radian, and use the marathon in my car (it should fit, my backseat is huge.) as the third seat. Then I'd have 5 seats.

libranbutterfly

Selling the seats will really not help much moneywise, will it? I need to make sure radians will install FF in my car too, I havent messed with them in it yet. My friend still has one installed in her car from when I was carless.

libranbutterfly

I can't use the nautilus in the blazer when I need a three across, though, so I would need a radian and a Marathon to put in there. If it is niece, she can use the MA or the Radian FF, assuming the booster will work in the three across, if not I could get the radian I am giving them for her for the day. Nephew I would want rearfacing, and that I have only done with a MA, which can't be the one in the middle seat. Hmmmm....... I guess I need to try a RF radian in the blazer too.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Personally, I'd just buy a booster to use in the van and start booster training her. I can't see that RF a 5YO would be a financial priority at this point. :eek:

scatterbunny

Personally, I'd just buy a booster to use in the van and start booster training her.

I would agree in most situations, but I'm thinking about the fact that she will be picked up from school in a daycare van, which has lapbelt-only spots. I'd want to use a harnessed seat for her in one of those spots, personally. If Kamille ends up in a booster outboard, another child could potentially end up in that lapbelt (either in just the belt, or in an improperly used booster with the lapbelt). If the daycare van will have harnessed seats installed in the lapbelt spots, then you wouldn't have to worry (as long as boosters fit next to whatever seat is installed with the lapbelt).

I can't see that RF a 5YO would be a financial priority at this point. :eek:

I totally agree with this. At nearly 5, I would not buy a new seat simply to be able to RF.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with Jenny... do booster-train her in her dad's car, don't bother rfing her at this age, but make sure to have a harnessed seat for that van if it has ANY lap-only belts

babyherder

I wasn't saying that rf at 5 is necessary for safety. Just that if parents want to and child doesn't mind (hence the booster in other cars compromise) that it wouldn't hurt.

When I take care of kids their safety comes first. My peace of mind comes second so if something makes me feel better, isn't less safe for them, and doesn't bother them too much I usually do it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The OP has posted about extreme financial hardship. $250 to RF a 5yo is, IMnsHO, not in the best interest of the family as a whole.

ProudMomof5

I agree with PPs, put a radian in the van.
You mentioned that she could not buckle or unbuckle herself yet, but I am sure she could. I kept our radian in the house and let our DDs practice over and over, we made it a game.
My 5 year old (JUST turned 5) is 39lbs and in her radian. She always buckles and unbuckles herself and has been for months. IT took her some practice.. at first I had to unbuckle her, but she was able to buckle herself in almost right away.

I would feel uncomfortable with my 5 year old using a booster with other people that may not make sure she got buckled in right. My 8 and 10 year old STILL sometimes get their seat belts all messed up in their boosters and they don't even realize it until I check it out. Most parents/guardians don't even bother checking if the kids are in boosters correctly.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Would she even have any time left RFing in a riadian? It sounds like my dd is the same size as yours, dead even with the seconde-to-top slots in the nauti, 43 tall overall, and she really is about an inch away from the top of the radian shell. Maybe my dd just has a big head, lol??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC