Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

WOW! You guys weren't kidding!

I will never, ever, ever fly without a Radian again. That thing really IS made for planes, isn't it?!?! Way easier than my previous combinations of MA/Scenera/UT/CS on a luggage cart. WAY easier. And I just can't say enough good things about the install. I just put the RF boot in my luggage and hoped for the best that my luggage would make it here with us. I had enough to carry on since it was just me and DS(between the Radian, stroller, and bag).

One question, though. I've seen several people say their DC was able to use the seat tray with the Radian. DS was unable too as his legs were sitting too high. The Radian was not in the reclined FF position, so I'm not sure what was up with that. His legs aren't THAT big. Is this just one of those things that varies from airline to airline?
    Coty-
    Mama to Charlie since 6.27.07 & Scarlett since 7.21.10
    Now have my Mazda 5 back with a RF MA65 and a RF MT.

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: WOW! You guys weren't kidding!

It must vary airline to airline. We flew Airtran when my dd was 4 years old, about 34 pounds. She was able to use the tray in her RN without issue.

Glad you enjoyed your trip with the RN! It is a great seat to travel with!

Laurie - special needs trained CPST, COTA/L & mom to:
    *Marshall
    08/16/02 ~ 12/22/02
    *Murphy 01/05/05, 50 pounds, GN, Monterey, Vivo
    *Anders 09/11/07, 44 pounds, Monterey, Vivo

CPS Fanatic

Yup, varies airplane to airplane I would guess. Though it's always worked for us.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Carseat Crazy

Hmmmm I flew with mine recently and while it's nicer to walk around with...we couldn't even use it on one flight because the airline seatbelt buckle wound up right in the middle of her back. It was behind the cover, but I can't imagine sitting for 3 hours with that wedged into my back!
    M, 8yo, in a Monterey and Monarch
    L, 6yo, in Nautilus harness and Radian
    L, 3yo, Nautilus

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

pp- the seatbelt does end up right in the middle of the back, but the radian cover has a piece of plastic right there and covers it pretty well. My kids have never been uncomfortable with it and we take long, cross country flights.

op- we always fly southwest and have always been able to use the tray. Last time we flew, ds was 5 and had no problem fitting under it. Must be the plane.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

We used the radian for my almost 2 year old at the time on AirTran.

I worked well from carrying through the airport (bungeed onto the back of my stroller.

We couldn't get very good installs on the plane however. It just didn't seem to fit into the seats correctly. Lots of movement no matter what I did. We were able to use the tray table with no problems (other than she kept kicking it and knocking her stuff off it!)

I can't wait until we can travel without it. I've flown two time on international trips with my older dd when she was younger and it was a god send not to have to transport a car seat or a stroller. We could walk anywhere, use escalators without searching for elevators, hop on an off buses without assistance, etc. Heck the second strip I was 7 months pregnant and she was 3. The first trip she was 2. She did absolutely fine in the lap belt. I did have to check position numerous times and re-tighten it to make sure it stayed low and off her belly. But other than that she did fine.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

How did it not fit in the seats? I've found that a Radian takes up about the same space as a thin-ish adult, so they almost always fit perfectly. Were they very contoured or something?

Did you pull the seatbelt tight by accessing it through the front of the cover? My Radians took longer to thread through than they did to tighten, when we flew with them last week! I had to get the thing threaded in and buckled, but then I just put the seatbelt end through the access slits, put a knee in, pulled, and they were instantly tight.

Oh, and the trays fit perfectly over their laps, too, great for eating, coloring, and watching movies. We flew Southwest, as well. They fly 737s.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

Okay, for curiosity sake, if you had a 5 year old, approx 45lbs (I'm guessing here) would you use a radian or a booster if you were flying somewhere and getting a rental car?

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

Quote Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
    Okay, for curiosity sake, if you had a 5 year old, approx 45lbs (I'm guessing here) would you use a radian or a booster if you were flying somewhere and getting a rental car?
    I would use a booster, but my 5 year old is booster trained and sits well in one. If my child had never been in a booster, or wasn't ready for one, I would still use the radian.
    Genevieve - CPST Instructor
    Ninja - 9
    Gambit - 7
    Rocket - 3

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yep. Would depend on the child's ability to booster-ride properly.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
    also would depend on sleep comfort... if they would sleep and how comfortable they would be in just the airplane seat.

My thought is that if the 5yr old would want to sleep, she'd be more comfy in a Radian... but otherwise, packing a booster would be fine.

I'd also factor in booster training, but I can see and I already knew your daughter is booster-trained, so that's not a factor for you.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

5 years and 45 pounds I'd get a RSTV.

Oh wait, I did. :-) Though she was 6 and 38 pounds.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785